PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook Nannys

BennyJ
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone ,

Well we had a break in the weather up here on saturday morning so raced out early for a quick bottom bash , we arrived at the area we were going to fish at about 5.45 and started trolling we trolled around for about 2 hrs checking out bits of rubbly bottom and marking a few isolated bommies after marking fish on a few of these spot we pulled in the pushers and went back to fish them , the first spot we fished was a little bit of rubble with very litlle showing except a few nice red blobs right on the bottom , we dropped down and BANG double hookup on two nannys one 10.9kg and 10.1kg not bad , we dropped again and another nanny and a goldspot the nanny was 9.8kg and a gold spot of about 15kg which was realised to fight another day , We caught another half dozen Gold Spots from 5 kg to 15kg and kept 2 of the smaller ones , we managed one more nanny and then the esky was full , i just love days when six fish fill a 150L esky , Not a bad session considering we fished for an hour and were home in time for a late Brecky and a cold beer

Cheers
BennyJ

Ps the fish were weighed club scales so exact weights

snapperm8
05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
great stuff there nice size aswell sounds like u found a productive spot

cheers dave

tunapikus
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
very nice looking fish there guys bet u they give u a work out bringing them up where do u guys live at

INTIMIDATOR
05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Nice work Benny
can you tell me roughly where you were i'm thinking outside Britomart . Am i close?
Cheer's Payney

BennyJ
05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Guys id love to say but it was a wonky hole of hinchinbrook island in 21m of water , the bait was fresh squid , we got blown away by just as many as we caught and were fishing 50lb braid and 80lb trace. Its taken me 3 years of hunting and i finally found a wonky ,alot of hours looking i can tell you

INTIMIDATOR
05-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Benny I can totally understand why you wouldn't tell them other guy's but you secret if safe with me.OK! "Mate" "Buddy" "Pall"::)
So where was that spot again!
Well done mate!

disorderly
05-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice report Benny.
Some rippers there!
Sounds a bit quiet on the pelagics though.Mate,were they just not interested or no birds or bait schools around?
BTW What the hell is a Wonky?

cheers Scott

Rod Fishing
06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
BennyJ the spot wouldnt have been anywhere near Hecate point? SW of Hecate?

FNQCairns
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Awesome an

dfox
06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Nice fish Benny and good size ones too.
Scott a wonky hole is generally an underwater spring coming up through the sea bed. Theres a number of them off hinchenbrook, but many are in green zones now ...foxy

disorderly
06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks foxy,I've never heard the term before.
Sounds alright though if you can pull quality fish like that out of 20m of water.

cheers Scott

BennyJ
07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
:beer: Cheers Boys ,

Will be out again this weekend for our monthly Club fishing comp going to try and pull a few on 6 kg , we will see . Disorderly you have heaps of ground of mission where you will get the same get on the outside of Potter Reef and hunt around a high end colour sounder is a big help , they dont show up as much , anyway keep you all posted on how i go this weekend

disorderly
07-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah i have a decent colour sounder,benny.
My main problems are not knowing how to use it properly yet,not having a deckie and being a so,so fisherman.
Anyway the winds are looking good for the weekend,tides are crap but good luck to you and I might just check out some of that ground east of Potter and try and catch a Red.

cheers Scott