PDA

View Full Version : motor wont start

gonefeedin
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
hi all
Little problem, got a motor that wont start when i pump the bulb i get fuel come out the top of the carb is this normal....i have got a spark it trys to start but wont kick over...it started first turn last week but not now
thanks
kev

Sea-Dog
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I don't know very much at all about outboards, but would assume carbie setup is similar to that of a car.

I once had an old Datsun 180B with twin carbs that would apparently flood, and petrol would end up coming out of the air cleaner intake.

It turned out to be a pin-hole in the float in one of the carbs. So the fuel pump just kept doing its job of pumping fuel into the bowl of the carby, even though it was already full.

I took out the offending brass float, emptied it, and soldered up the pin-hole.

No more problems.

That MAY be your problem, or a faulty float needle & seat.

If you feel confident in pulling apart your carby without damaging it, then have a look.

Otherwise, get professional help.

Cheers, Sea-Dog

predator
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you need a carbi overhaul, its probably flooding.
Check that the float isnt full of fuel and allowing the needle and seat to stay open.
Replace the float and needle and seat why your at it and hopefully you shuold be right...

gonefeedin
04-03-2007, 08:59 AM
ok thanks for that... will get some one to look at it not very good with motors

Roughasguts
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Let it dry out and it may start, or pull out the spark plugs and turn the motor over a few times to clear any fuel build up in the crank.

Then clean the spark plugs, better still wrap the plugs in a rag soaked with a bit of petrol and set it alight.

No need to tell you be carefull with fuel spills and where you light the spark plugs soaked in a rag is there. So just keep a good distance 10 plus feet.

Put the plugs in while hot, and for some reason I can not explain, it will start a lot easier.

Blackened
04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
G'day

Sounds like a blockage in the carburettor to me.

There will be a little bolt you can undo at the bottom of the fuel bowl on the carby, do that and look for any sediment/gum in the fuel that may drain out.

Fill with fresh fuel and try to start it then. If it still wont fire, you may need to take the carby off and clean it up/blow out the passages.

Dave

gonefeedin
04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks all.... will give it a try

kev
gave it a go (burning plugs ) still no joy..............took front off carbie,..loads of fuel coming out when bulb pumped ...so taking it to a mechanic...thanks all
kev

Cloud_9
04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
thats why you get your outboard serviced.
to keep it running good.
just because it starts doesn't mean its running properly.
Cheers Cloud 9

gonefeedin
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
just had it seviced