PDA

View Full Version : Land based fisho's stop dreaming

kind_cir
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to be land based, but not anymore after discovering kayak fishing, which has opened up a whole new range of options for me. Be it fishing up some backwater or some nearshore reef it realy opens up many options without breaking the bank. Furtermore it opens areas to fish that a boat would not normaly be able to acess.

Don't get me wrong boats have a place but not everyone can afford one, however a Kayak is a fairly cheap way to get on the water.

When you look at getting a boat things can get costly real quick with fuel, boat rego, trailer rego, storage, servicing and maintinence ect all adding up. A lot of boats stay locked in the garage most of the year because the owner can't afford to run it.

A kayak uses no fuel, takes up little room at home, does not need a registered trailer, or boat rego, little if no maintainece, and can be launched from may a place. It will keep you fit, you will catch more fish than being land based IMO and can be used for lesiure if you wish. Best of all it is one of the cheapest ways to get out on the water.

It does have some disadvantages too, but these are outweighed by the positives.

Check out what some of the boys have done on the Australian Kayak fishing forum http://http://www.akff.net/forum/index.php with their kayak fitted with fish finders and lecky motors. Catching big spanish mac, snapper, sharks, flathead, bream ect.

Her's a pic of mine.

Lazybugger
03-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I will be picking my Viking Tempo up in a few weeks. Have been following AKFF for months and am really looking forward to it. I figure the only way this fat bast&^d is gonna get fit is by doing it by doing something I enjoy and this combination could fit that bill very nicely.

Cheers

Scott

Cammy
03-03-2007, 10:16 PM
mate you have gotton me interested from that site, how much did it cost? where did you get it from? , is it stable.

cam;)

fishphile
03-03-2007, 10:20 PM
If you don't mind me asking, Whats a ballpark figure for a setup like that?

Cheers Dave

kind_cir
04-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Got my set up for $1000 second hand, only 3 months old, fitted with adj rod holder, rear crate with rod holders, rudder system, sounder. Normally would cost $1800 new, but there seems to be good buys around on the second hand market. I also with this modlel have the option of fitting a lecky motor for $500 new.
I know I can get a small tinny for the money I spent but it would cost money all the time even if I did not use it. Fishing from a yak IMO is better for me and more enjoyable, and is a lot more stable than I first thought.
When you think a brand new yak can be had for as little as $400, it can be a cheap way to get out on the water.
Thing is, you can modify it as you go starting with a rod holder or two flush mount or adjustable, a house brick will do as an ancor and your on the water for less than $ 500 new.

Feral
04-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Yaks can be a cheap option, they can also be an expensive option with all the possible accessories!

I reckon the setup costs for a Yak are about the same as a small tinnie, Hulls are a similar price, set of roof racks to carry a yak on most modern cars is around $300, bit more for a tinnie of you want to self launch, otherwise the same. Electrics about the same, but rowing a tinnie is a bit more painful than rowing a yak!

Up from the basics though the tinnie starts getting dearer - fuel motor - $1200 starting price, dont want a rooftopper? trailer add another $1000, Rego if your fuel motor is over 4hp, boat rego as well.

So as long as you dont mind arms like popeye, the Yak certainly seems to be a versatile option (although personally I dont really like the idea of sitting in the middle of a giant surface fizzer lure!)

username_taken
18-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Does anyone take them around the brissie river? I would think it would be a great way to get to/from the various rock walls / piers with some SPs.

theclick
18-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Going over to have a look at one on wednesday (no one take it or ill harm you). Exact same idea, land based...getting bored, kayak :D

That site is good, thats where i got alot of my info from

GazzaB
18-06-2007, 05:04 PM
looks like a great idear to me, are they one seat only?? just thinking the wife could paddle while i do the fishing, if she's gona come she might as well be usefull!!!

PWCDad
19-06-2007, 08:07 AM
By the time you paddle back to the ramp you'd be too tired in the arms to fillet the fish !!! (wink)j/k

I can sure see the possibilities in the mangroves .... wow ...right in close in the shade of the canopy and flickin' lures at things ...

They'd only draw 3 inches of water .... maybe less ????? Up the shallow creeks for muddies as well ....

PWCDad

STUIE63
19-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't do it up this way there are too many crocs bigger than boats let alone kayaks. But it does sound a good way to fish.
Stuie

bushbeachboy
19-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Gotta agree with Stuie,
Too many snapping handbags up here for yak fishing. Should be good in SEQ but. When I move down there I might give it a try, it seems like a great stealthy way to fish right up close against structure. It would be cheating to have a motor on it. ;D

kind_cir
19-06-2007, 07:36 PM
This is a old tread and I have since sold the Yak for what I paid for it. I have now bought a small tinny to take the daughter out fishing more. I like the tinny as it is more comortable, but I now seem to take more time traveling and exploring new spots with less time fishing.
I realy miss the yak as I used to catch more fish than I do now in the tinny, be cause of the above.
If I could have both I would, and would take the yak out more than the tinny as IMO it is much more enjoyable to spend some quiet time on your own and is more rewarding to catch fish from. But nothing beats seeing the look and squeels of excitment from the daughter as she reels in the fish, somting I would discourage when we went fishing in the yak as we would nearly end up in the drink.

Lovey80
19-06-2007, 07:59 PM
10 weeks must have loved it ;) Thats not a lot of time to see the pro's in a boat v Yak

Cheers Chris

Derek Bullock
19-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Seriously thinking of getting one of these myself.

Derek

http://www.fishingkayak.com.au/index.html

http://www.fishingkayak.com.au/fishingimages/explorerii_1.jpg

imnotoriginal
19-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Same here Derek, I definitely need the fitness benefits. Unfortunately, saving for a car that doesn't leak through the roof is first priority...:P
Joel

kind_cir
20-06-2007, 06:07 PM
10 weeks must have loved it ;) Thats not a lot of time to see the pro's in a boat v Yak

Cheers Chris
Too many scooby doo's in the scooby doo I think. :hammer: :D

spelchek
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
What is the max weight a kayak will carry - I realize there will be diffrences, but whats a ballpark fiugure? Been thinking about one for awhile now - but im a BIG lad and I worry that i will be too big for a 'yak.

kind_cir
03-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Depends on what you get.
eg: A viking tempo fisherman has a load capacity of 250KG is 3.9m long and weighs 29kg with a rrp of $1100.
There are others dearer and cheaper with different pro's and con's.

Chrome Dome
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
For the sort of fishing I enjoy, my yak was getting more use than my 17' half cabin, so I sold it and got a second yak (for my kids). Really good fun, and quiet!

Pistol_P
11-05-2008, 01:31 PM
mmmm.....I do both kayak fishing and landbased fishing.

Trolled for pelagics in the kayak and my PB longtail went 23kg.

My PB lontail of the rocks went 16kg.

I would have to say that landbased fishing is far more challenging and landing a good fish is alot tougher.Therefore I find the captures more satisfying.

However,the kayaks are great in creeks etc....as it allows you into places you cannot access by foot.

Just my thoughts.8-)

Pete

rando
11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I learned to row in a "tub pair" (1968) a clinker built double ender with two sliding seats ,fore and aft.
They were heavy and slow, but had a coxain to steer, so they took a bit of weight.
I have always thought that a updated 1man version in relatively light weight materials but low tech like glassed ply like the racing hulls of the era but a bit more robust, in short a rowing skiff.
using stitch and tape construction would be a great fishing platform,

Low cost stable and fitting in the slot between a yak and a small tinny.
I am 53 years old and can clearly remember seeing lots of timber row boats as a child, any time we went to the Manly or Redliffe or the Gold coast.

Sorry to be a bit off topic,I dont want to hijack the thread, Ive always thought that would be the ideal entry level vessel for semi-smooth water.

jareyjareyjareyjarey
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
my kayak has been sitting in the garage collecting dust. i cant wait to pull it out when it gets a bit warmer and catch some fish

JRJR
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't do it up this way there are too many crocs bigger than boats let alone kayaks. But it does sound a good way to fish.
Stuie

Last time I checked when I was up in FNQ Ocean Kayakking was actually a passtime for tourists!

Of course I wouldn't go venturing up into the creeks but I'd have no problems about going off shore.

I'll have to pos some photos of my Kayak setup some time.

Gigantor
11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Jarey,

Don't wait for the warm weather mate, as you'll miss some fo the best winter fishing. Get your kayak dusted and get it out onto a dam. We are coming into big Bass time.

For instance...fished Wivenhoe Dam last saturday morning and scored 4 quality Bass ranging from 34cm to 48cm. The 48cm fish fought like a tiger. Pklayed him for 10 minutes before he came to the surface. It was quite a rush in 4lb line. I pulled the hooks on 2 other solid fish. All this was while trolling Jackalls.

Wivehoe bass are big fat brutes and put up a great fight, and the fishing there is only gonna get better over coming weeks.

Cheers,

Pete