PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater barra

trev1
02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Anybody got any solutions for getting the muddy/weedy taste from impoundment barra?

Whitto
03-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Ive never eaten Freshwater Barra but Im told it has a very bland taste, the only thing I could suggest is to Marinate the filet over night in your favourite herbs and spices and sauces, I heard someone say that soaking the filet in milk but for how long Im not sure. Not much point eating tasteless Barra, too each his own, Cheers Whitto

BobbyJ123
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Mate, fillet and cut into serving portions and freeze them. As you need any, defrost and soak them in salty water for about 6 hours, drain and cook them using your usual method.

rayken1938
03-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Fillet them and skin them . Make absolutely certain you remove all fat including the layer of grey fat that is sometimes under the skin. The fat is more visible if fillet is chilled..
Do this with all freshwater fish and you will be delighted with the taste. Just cook in egg and breadcrumbs.
Ray

angler1
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
soak the fillets in egg and milk overnight then batter, no more muddy taste

angler1

Tony_l
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Or just let them go!

TinarooTriumph
06-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Or just let them go!

Thumbs up to that one!

It is almost completely impossible for you to make Impoundment Barra taste even half decent... they are terrible, terrible eating no matter what size in my opinion. If you want a good feed at an Impoundment, set some redclaw traps, or some 2kg line, some ox-heart and a 3/0 suicide hook, light sinker around deep timber and get yourself a few Sleepy Cod. Beautiful eating!

Theo

Owen
06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Taste is a subjective thing.
I've tried only one impoundment barra and it was bloody awful. Flesh texture was beautiful... just no taste.
That said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone else the opportunity to try it. I mean my wife likes lambs fry for chrissakes!.
Besides, we each invest a lot in each catch. If it makes you feel good to eat one, then go for it.
I've been told all the add this... do that things to make 'em taste good. Too much effort fo me.

fish_on
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
let em go they taste like muddy gumboots anyway. ive tried one years ago and didnt taste nice at all and ive grown up down south eating freshwater fish. we cut all the fat off and soaked them in lemonade for a couple of hours. got rid of the bland taste and sweetened it up a bit

tim barra master
22-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I have not ever been able to eat barra out of awonga Something to do with weed I think. However you must remove all skin and fat steak the fillet and roll in egg I mix tai seasoning with breadcrumb cover the fish cook and enjoy. I sometimes only marinate with tai seasoning prior to cooking with butter on the barby.
I do agree with the eating quality of freshwater cod probably my favourite fish to eat. Bon appatete

CQHORNET
23-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I wouldn't begrudge anyone else the opportunity to try it. I mean my wife likes lambs fry for chrissakes!.

And whats wrong with a good feed of Lambs Fry ! - Nothing, it tastes better than that impoundment Barra

Hmmm Lambs Fry and Bacon. Yummy.

DNO

Owen
23-03-2007, 08:21 PM
And whats wrong with a good feed of Lambs Fry ! - Nothing, it tastes better than that impoundment Barra
DNO

I'll grant you that ;D

Hmmm Lambs Fry and Bacon. Yummy.

Gawd, you're as sick as she is. Spoil bloody good bacon is all it does.

TinarooTriumph
27-03-2007, 08:35 PM
If anyone out there has any Freshwater, or Saltwater Barra stocked in the freezer, you may want to give this a go. I havn't tried it but will down the track on smaller Barra from up North. Leave the fish unfrozen in a Salty brine for about an hour, then let it to drain on paper towel, wrap in bacon and pan-fry. Got told this method today and I think it would make for an interesting combo, and the saltyness from the Bacon should carry on through to the Barra.

Theo

rob tranter
27-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Well I reckon that the skinning and marinating must be the go.

I'm not a fish eater of any kind, but the wife eats it all, and so does her dad, he catches and eats fish around four days a week, useually bream or Flathead.

We had a property near Tamworth, with a creek full of euro carp.

The father inlaw caught a few, filleted them, skinned them and marinated them for a few hours.

Cooked them up on the bbq, him and the bride ate them.

He said it tastes like fish, he'd eatern better, but he had also eatern worse.

So I guess your impoundment barra should be beter then Euro Carp shorely?

Skin Fillet Marinate!

Rob8-)

cameron walker
15-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Take to old peoples home ,find someone from out west swap for beer.Tastes like mud ,never kill one again.I cought a 14kg barra at monduran it was awsome to catch it and then drink the beer.:P

Noelm
20-08-2007, 01:56 PM
hhmm, I have also eaten fresh salt water barra and do not think much of it! I reckon they are good for people who do not like fish, big white flakes, no bones, and no taste, just like our Blue Groper.

STUIE63
30-08-2007, 02:30 PM
fillet and fry in butter when nearly cooked squeeve a mandarine over the fish in frypan wait till juice has evaporated adds a nice sweet flavour to it
Stuie

Noelm
30-08-2007, 03:34 PM
yep, I have tried the Mandarine thing (but I used Orange) and it is OK for lots of types of Fish