PDA

View Full Version : Stargazer

Raesen
02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys
I have seen a few threads of late about Stargazers being the ugliest fish ever and so on.
I have never caught nor seen one before but found a photo of one caught by my brother in law at Bribie many many years ago. Ugly muther of a thing isn't it and so is the fish (only kidding Geoff).:)

Back then don't know if he released flattie ????
12 lbs 13 oz I think it was (stargazer) - (about 6 and a bit Kg). Is this the norm or what.
Hope you find it interesting
Cheers
Pete

lock
02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
They are both massive. They are ugly but they are good eating apparently.

Redspeckle
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah when you catch them you think you lost them off end of the line they burried themselves in the sand so you need a shovel to dig out the stargazer
I never caught one myself but heard of stories about them and suppose to be good eating as well
Mitch;)

studentdecky
03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
hey yea u get them over the beach at sraddie

whynott
04-03-2007, 06:36 AM
A couple of years ago, I caught one off the rocks at Brunswick Heads, and was like I had snagged a hunk of wood. No fight at all, but heaps of weight.
I landed it and let it go.:D

calamari
04-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Yep - Stole my discussion points, guys, thanks -

!. Not very exciting to catch
2. Excellent eating, if you dare
3. Ugly as sin
4. Got a few over at Straddie - Deadies, etc - A couple have cruised n and then spat the bait at me before swimming off!

Obi _ Wan
05-03-2007, 08:56 PM
This post made my spine tingle as it brought back memories of the time my son and his mate were catching Stargazers on the flats under the Hornibrook bridge.
I didn't take a lot of notice the first time when they brought a couple home but the second time i asked, How in the hell are you getting so many of these bloody stargazers?
Well, here we go, they were walking around in the mud with no shoes on until they could feel one with their feet, then would bend over and pull it out of the mud with their hands.

Bloody hell i roared, Don't you blokes understand that there are stonefish around this area, you could die!!

I never saw them with another one after that.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan.

LeeannP
06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
I ate one and will definitely be releasing the next one. They're passable on the palate but there are tastier fish in the ocean if you have a choice.