PDA

View Full Version : Changing back to tiller steer.

_Dan_
02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi All.

I know i am throwing some ideas around today, but i was thinking about changing my motor back to tiller steer.

I dont have the old tiller, but would swap the controls and the cables for a tiller that would fit my engine. Its jsut easier for me for the boat to be a tiller steer.

Its an old 35 johnno. Is there anything difficult about this?

Cheers

Dan

Blue_Escape
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Dan,
I converted my '99 40hp Johnson from tiller to remote about 18 months ago, was fairly difficult doing it myself but got there in the end and very satisfied with the result. Going back the other way should be relativelly easy. You will obviously need the tiller arm assembly and the gearshift lever assembly also the steering handle bracket (connects tiller arm to motor) and a new grommet for the control levers (smaller holes than control cables). All in all should slot together fairly easily... well it came apart easily for me.;) It also really helps to have a proper workshop manual for the appropriate model motor! Your best bet is to look for the parts on ebay(motors - USA) as you will pay big dollars for stuff locally!>:( Other option is local outboard wreckers (try http://www.outboardparts.com.au/ ).

Good Luck
Blue