PDA

View Full Version : Jackall Replicas?

robyoung2
26-02-2007, 03:40 PM
A mate of mine in America is going to Bass pro to pick up some stuff, and wants to know if I want anything.
I've never so much as laid eyes on a jackall (only pics on the net), and wonder if any of the brands carried by the Basspro mob might be similar?
It's just a cost thing. I'm a vagrant, been scraping to feed the kids a bit of stale bread and water periodically on a disability pension for ten years now, and so wondered if I could at least try one of these weird looking lures, at a price I might manage.

I see there's a huge range of bibless lures of similar design, but have no idea really what's what in this area of lure expertise.

Anyone who know's their stuff on this subject would be greatly advising me if they had anything at all to add.

thanks heaps
rob

yellahunter
26-02-2007, 04:30 PM
mate most of the lipless cranks work well,

anything similar to a jackall will catch fish,

NOjacks
26-02-2007, 06:26 PM
hi rob

ive had good luck with the kokoda coppies and the jackals mostly in natural colours. but im finding i dont use them unless im trolling. i have quite an addiction to slider grubs with "beetle spin" blades on them you get 3 blades in a pack for $6 and the grubs are usally $8 much cheaper and they work very well best colours are baby bass and purple

NOjacks

Feral
26-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Berkley Frenzies do all right as well.

rob tranter
27-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I've used and lost a couple of Jackalls, personally I think they are aptly named, because you catch Jack-ALL. Although I did fowl hook a yella with one once.
Can any of you enliten me on how to use this type of Lure even half successfully, as I have one jackall left and three surebite's. Rob I picked the surebites up for about $6 each as apposed to the $25 jack-alls
As said by Robyoung2 any advice greatley appreciated.
Rob

Leigh77
27-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I've used and lost a couple of Jackalls, personally I think they are aptly named, because you catch Jack-ALL. Although I did fowl hook a yella with one once.
Can any of you enliten me on how to use this type of Lure even half successfully, as I have one jackall left and three surebite's. Rob I picked the surebites up for about $6 each as apposed to the $25 jack-alls
As said by Robyoung2 any advice greatley appreciated.
Rob

That must be why they sell so well hey...because they dont work?!?!

I use jackalls everytime I go fishing for Bass, and have had great results with them...You use them in the same way you would any other lure. Whether it be casting to weed edges, snags, or out in open water.

Quite often when fishing weed edges you get hit on the drop.

My most common retrieve when using jackalls is a slow constant retrieve...with maybe the odd pause thrown in for something to do. Occasionally I have had success with the burn 'n' kill technique but 95% of the time a simple slow retrieve does the trick.

roydsy
27-02-2007, 09:48 AM
That must be why they sell so well hey...because they dont work?!?!

I use jackalls everytime I go fishing for Bass, and have had great results with them............. Occasionally I have had success with the burn 'n' kill technique but 95% of the time a simple slow retrieve does the trick.

They work very well at clarie hall dam and anywhere there is bass. I have tried the imitation jackalls and they all seem to produce less fish. Also agree fully with the real slow retieve and occasional pause. I cast, let it sink for a few seconds maybe mroe depending on the depth i am targeting, then slow retrieve, then zzzzzzzzzz I am on. I have also trolled with them on real slow days at the dam and had great success with a slow troll speed.

robyoung2
27-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks all, I've never so much as seen a jackall, (are they soft or hard, plastic or metal?) never got into the soft plastics either. Always used hard body lures and never had any reason to use others. The jackall trend has me entruiged is all.

thanks
rob

Pistol_P
27-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Agreed the kokoda copies are good.
I have had good success on them.8-)

rob tranter
27-02-2007, 01:59 PM
How about this one then Leigh77 and Roydsy.
Do you attach them direct to your line or use one of those little clips?
If the clip, does it change the action of the Lure?

I fished the Orara last weekend and used every lure in the box, including the jackall and lookalikes. Most success?
One fish on a Smak16
four fish and three misses on a jitta bug surface lure.
The Jackall produced Jackall, but in it's defence, it was used sparingly due to the amount of snags about and it's monetry value::)
It's good that you have success with them.
I'm either to impatient or have little skill in there use or both;D

As far as my above question goes, I personallly use the little clips, and see no significant change in the lures action, others I fish with refuse to use them because they believe that they do change the action.
Your thaughts?
Rob8-)

roydsy
27-02-2007, 02:09 PM
.... The Jackall produced Jackall, but in it's defence, it was used sparingly due to the amount of snags about and it's monetry value::)

As far as my above question goes, I personally use the little clips, and see no significant change in the lures action, others I fish with refuse to use them because they believe that they do change the action.
Your thaughts?
Rob8-)

I almost always use 'little clips' aka snaps, except when using soft plastics. yes, the fear of throwing $25 towards a heavy snag infested piece of water can make you use other, sometimes inferior tackle. However, I live by the philosophy use it or lose it. I would trade two of my other bass lures for each jackall as they are deadly in most situations.

I had the same amount of impatience with soft plastics until recently they out fished my jackalls. Just try slowing down your retrieve to the point of just about not swimming and see how you go. I love how you can fish them deep or shallow depending on your retrieve speed. The rattle they put out can be a positive and a negative. Sometimes I use jackalls with no rattle on slow days and have better success.

rob tranter
27-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Roydsy,
Thanks mate I appreciate your reply, although, "inferior tackle":( , inferior fisherman maybe:'( , I love my surface lures:) , as they've been the most successfull for me.
Any way, do you think colour is a big thing, as I would have thought fish are colourblind.
In my limited experience as a fresh water fisherman, I can't see where colour could make a difference, yet out west, a fair few believe in purple for cod.
I have to admit that at a recent One Lure comp at Pindari Dam, I used a purple boomerang 65, and it worked, four hours flicking, two cod. (I hate to mention the number of fish the others caught.) Anyway, do you think colour makes a difference. I am going to Glen Lyon in a fortnight for another one lure, and I'd appreciate a bit of knowledge.
As for Jackalls, a few of us went out to Chaffey Dam (Nundle/Tamworth), just after the Jackalls where released. Before leaving I rang the Tamworth Tackle shop for a few hints and he said, "mate get the jackalls, they're slaying them. My tackle shop didn't have any, so I bought the surebites.
After two days, and only producing one follow on the surebites, these young fellas turned up and fisshed the same water as us and, sure enough, they killed it.
What are you blokes using, Jackalls was the reply, they're briiliant.
So Roydsy, I know they work, just not for me.
YET
Rob8-)

Feral
28-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Jackall's catch fish, they are marketed extremely well, so catch fishermen also :)

Are they overpriced - you bet, but like most "premium products" there is a market for those who can afford them (generally either the idle rich, or those sods who can cast a lot better than me!), but for me generally loosing 3 or 4 lures a trip is the norm and I cant afford Jackalls, so the Berkley's and G vibes are my lipless crankbaits of choice.

roydsy
28-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Feral are you not using tackle back or some sort of lure retriever? 3-4 lures is way too many! I am unlucky to lose a lure every 3-4 trips, not the other way around.

roydsy
28-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Roydsy,
Thanks mate I appreciate your reply, although, "inferior tackle":( , inferior fisherman maybe:'( , I love my surface lures:) , as they've been the most successfull for me.
Any way, do you think colour is a big thing, as I would have thought fish are colourblind.

Well i used to say no but on some days nothing but a jackall tn60 ayu works at clarrie hall dam when no other colour works. I do think colour has some affect and find green earthy coloured /toned lures work best for me. I am yet to gain any real success with surface lures so either i am too late getting out of bed in the morning for the surface action or i am not doing it right. Jackalls and soft plastics are a sure bet for me now, but surface lures... what the ???

I have about 16 jackalls now and slowly getting more sizes and colours to try out. Yes, I am obsessed with them, but when they work so well what can I say. I probably need to try out many of the other bass lures in my tackle box or trade them for more jackalls :P

Leigh77
28-02-2007, 01:45 PM
How about this one then Leigh77 and Roydsy.
Do you attach them direct to your line or use one of those little clips?
If the clip, does it change the action of the Lure?

I fished the Orara last weekend and used every lure in the box, including the jackall and lookalikes. Most success?
One fish on a Smak16
four fish and three misses on a jitta bug surface lure.
The Jackall produced Jackall, but in it's defence, it was used sparingly due to the amount of snags about and it's monetry value::)

As far as my above question goes, I personallly use the little clips, and see no significant change in the lures action, others I fish with refuse to use them because they believe that they do change the action.
Your thaughts?
Rob8-)

I always use a snap as well...the smallest size possible though (its still rated at 30lb). I could not be bothered tying a new knot everytime I change a lure. I have found no ill effects of using a clip in my 14 years of solid Bass fishing.

As for the jackall vs snag thing...I throw mine into the same spots I would a $3 lure. If you arent going to use a lure to its full potential then that lure will not work to its full potential...Tacklebacks and other lure retrievers are worth their weight in gold, so if you dont have one...get one!

And I have been known to go for the occasional swim to get a lure back too.

But remember that with any lure that you use...you must have confindence in that lure. I know for a fact that soft plastics catch bass, and quite a few of them. But I dont use them that often because the personal confidence just isnt there.

If you are fishing with the frame of mind "this lure wont catch fish" then to put it simply...it wont! Be confident in what you are using as the jackalls are a great product.

Roo
28-02-2007, 01:50 PM
hi rob

ive had good luck with the kokoda coppies and the jackals mostly in natural colours. but im finding i dont use them unless im trolling. i have quite an addiction to slider grubs with "beetle spin" blades on them you get 3 blades in a pack for $6 and the grubs are usally $8 much cheaper and they work very well best colours are baby bass and purple

NOjacks

I don't have any jackalls:'( . I do have some lippless cranks tho'. Cotton cordell rattlin spots, Rapala,g-vibe and frenzy's. Havn't caught a cracker on any of them........also haven't tried some of them either. Thanks for the tips on retrieves. i was using them more like a plastic and just short hopping them along the bottom.....perhaps thats why i wasn't doing so well. Live and learn eh!:P

I'm with NOjacks. beetle spins and plastics combo has been my mainstay for wild bass for some time.

cheers, roo.

robyoung2
28-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I reckon colours make a dif.
Like I’ve used a certain lure for a while, changed to the same lure, dif colour and everything’s changed.
Also been fishing with mates, and found later that day when comparing notes, than in spite of different styles of lures might have been used, colours have seen real trends in success and failures.

But apart from that, there’s also the consideration that dark colours work well at night to better silhouette them against the night sky, and I believe colours become les visible at different depths. For instance I believe the first colour to loose it’s ability to reflect light is red, which apparently goes almost invisible below 6 feet. So I’m told, I have no scientific knowledge of this.

I’ve bred rainbowfish and other Aus natives off and on most of my life, and something I’ve considered a lot (although have never resolved) is the different colour of native feeder fish in our rivers/creeks. I wonder what effect it might make on the fish feeding on them.
Like east of the divide (south Queensland) rainbow fish are green/red, while west of the divide they’re blue/green.
This might make sense of the green trends that are said to be best for catching natives such as bass and yellowbelly, cod..

Deep still water is the endemic area for purple spot gudgeons etc

The further north you go, the rainbows become more colourful, some chequered, some bold bright colours…

But then I’m completely unaware of any gold bombers swimming around the place, so who knows?

But I do believe they make a difference for sure. Then again I’ve been deceived before.
I was just saying the other day I was so proud of an extensive collection of wonderful lures in every colour imaginable, my brother (who rarely fishes) was very impressed but pulled out his one and only lure he owned. A small toby. He caught 40 bass on it that arv, virtually fish for fish with what I caught.
So much for showing off huh.

rob

Feral
02-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Feral are you not using tackle back or some sort of lure retriever? 3-4 lures is way too many! I am unlucky to lose a lure every 3-4 trips, not the other way around.

Tried that, lost that as well!
I am just a newbie to hard body lures, I am getting better! (Also using Frenzies, or cheap minnows from Ebay, I must admit if it looks like getting wet or muddy for a $4 lure, I give up easy! ;D)

Mind you I threw away a $15 spinner bait on my last trip, Previous trip I had caught a barra just on close of the trip, and had not checked the leader afterwards. Third cast on next trip saw leader part, and spinner bait go sailing up the dam. Checked leader, and rub marks all over it, ouch!

davo
02-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Kokodas are great and at $5 each I can loose 6 for one Jackall

NAGG
02-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I bought my first Jackall TN 60 a few weeks ago ....... I dont know how good it fishes ... BUT IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE WALL IN ITS FRAME !;D ;D ;D NAGG

robyoung2
02-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I see a jackall look-alike called a
-xps tri vibe crank-
that looks very interesting, it's a hard body though, maybe metal. These have three different places to hook ya line onto, supposedly to get differnet depths I suppose? You'd all know better than I would.

-Berkley Frenzy-
which has already been mentioned here as worth a look at. 21/4 inch.

-rat-L-traps-
which I've had in my tackle boxes off and on over the years and never even attempted to use them. usually would have come across them at flea markets and such. they're always very large examples I've had though. Still have a couple, but they look a bit average I suppose. But then I know nothing about it all.
-Cordell Super spot- in 2 and ahalf inch, and 3 inch sizes.

-Ratllin Rapala- these come sin 2 inch, 2 and 3/4 and 3 and 1/8 inch. These look real good. So far as one can tell from a photograph. I'd be real interested in what these are like.

Actually I just noticed this Rapala one comes in a 1 1/2 inch (35mm?) jobbie and is only 3 bucks american. That;d have to be a good size wouldn't it? Anyone got any experience with this beastie? I'd love to hear if you have.

Then there's
-Lucky Craft Hardbaits Lipless Vibrator-
There better be worth using, because they're selling for between 15-18 bucks each Americana dollars. Compared with all the others running at around 3 or 4 bucks each, they better be something special. They come in sizes 2, 3 and 3.4 and 3 and 1/2 inch. also look like hard plastic.
But the ones that have really caught my attention for interest sake is this one

-Megabass Vibration x Ultra crankbait.-
Can't be any advantage to use jackalls, after all, thy want 20 American bucks each for them, but they do look pretty good.

-Strike King Diamond Shad-
in just about every size you can imagine and seem to be metal.

Yo Zuri make a real good lookin one called a
-Hardcore Drum-
in 23/4 inch. But again, aren't exactly cheap either. not like the jackalls, but still exie.

They're all ahrdbody types, but then there's some really grouse looking softies too, and they're pretty cheap, some down around a few dollars.

-Northland Lip-Stick jig-
at 2 and ahalf bucks with 2 per pack they've gotta be worth a go. They look real good. Not too sure if you have to rig these as a soft plastic ina typical manner, or if they're a soft body in the same sense the jackalls are. But at that price it's gotta be worth a look.

Storm makes a whole bunch that are very reminiscent of the jackall (so far as pics can tell), called
-Wildeye Live Shiner-
being the most interesting one I reckon, at 2 inches long.
the -Live Goby - looks the gear too.

There was another brand I saw a few weeks back that was specifically interesting because of the size of it. Whatever it was called it was a "wee" version of the original.

Anyone had any experience with any of these at all? I'm seriously interested.

cheers all
rob

Mike Delisser
03-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Have used Rat L Traps, Rapala, Berk Frenzy, Cot Cordel, Mega Bass & Lucky Craft.
Also Kokoda & River2Sea twin vib, and caught bass on all of them to some degree. However since I started using Jackalls I wouldn't even bother tying another vib style lure on my line, esp in a comp. They are that much better.

robyoung2
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Thanks mate, I appreciate the sincerity, and experience.

rob

andy009
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
get the peacock coloured jackall no matter what situation they work. or the light blue 1s caught good bass on both

rob tranter
04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey Rob,
Have stopped to do the conversion rate our $ to the septic $
At $0.72c to the $1.00, the lures you're looking at could very well end up costing you more then they would if you picked them up here.
Just a thought.
Rob8-)

robyoung2
04-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Our dollar was worth 80 cents last I looked, but even at 72 cents, most lures rom USA are worth the transfer rate.
say a ardbody lure such as a manns 10+ US$ 6 , something like $7.50 Aus- and the cheapest I ever seen them in tackle shops around here is 16 bux. Maybe 13-14 bux, in some bizzare colour you'd never use.

Most hardbody lures from USa run 3-4 dollars, storms etc..good brands. Mind yhou, since I began using America some years back, Austrlian home made lures have come a long way, and are extremely well priced I reckon as a rule. Top lures wqit UAs fish in mind fr ten bux and so forth. Can't complain about them prices.

Things like norman
'speed clips", what we see here as "Hawaii" clips. They cost nearly 20 bux for a dozen or so at BCF, and BAsspro has them for 2 and half bux american for 12. That's 3 dollars Aus if I order them from OS, or 20 bux bought local.

Cicada reef runners, I have no idea how much they cost here, but the smaller size in America is 2 dollars American. That's about 2.40 Australian.

Postage for an order at around 150-200 dollars is usually around 20-30 bux, so it's reasonable too.

I've been buying my gearfrom there for 15 years or more, but you're right, some things you have to watch out. Like anything they themselves have to import, once converted to Aus. dollars can be heaps more than ocal dollars. Just check their prices on Calcutta reels, they're by no means cheap.
Their fishing rods are dirt cheap, even when a rod tube and insurace is added.

Plano Tackle boxes run next to nothing. A magnum 44 plano is only 26 dollars! I think they're over a hundred here. Plano 771 tackle boxes Their newsest and most fad one) is only 50 dollars. 130 here from memory.

I wrote an article and a bloke in USA I never met read it, and was moved by it (yanks are emotioal lots), He asked around and found Iliked to fish, and bought me a plano 7771 boz, a penn ultra lite reel, small ultra lite rod, 2 huge spools of line, lures, bla bla bla.. i calculated it at around 1000 dollars worth!
Bu he prob only paid a few hundred (yanks are also very generous guys too).

Nilsmaster lures cost more in USA than herre, and a number of things. Some of those jackall look likes will run into more than jackalls, and I think that must be what you're thinking of.

Frankly I feel compromised buying the stuff from USA, because it's cheap due to cheap mexican labour and I'm a raised and bred trade union bloke. I detest slavery, but on a welfare pension as I am, it's buy it as cheap as poosible, or don't go fishing anymore.

cheers
rob

rob tranter
04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Well it certainly looks as though you know what your getting into then;D

I suppose you would after 15 years or so.

You don't know any other septic tanks that would like to spend a quid or two do you;D ;D ;D

Good luck with it all.
Rob8-)

NAGG
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
So can anyone honestly say that they have fished say a Kokoda tournament Gold G Vibe side by side with a TN60 Jackall ....... & the Jackall has come up trumps! ..... very keen to hear some responses:-/
I plan to toss a mate a couple of the Kokoda sprogs tomorrow night & compare them to Strike Pro Pigmys & Eco gear SX40s that I'll use ..... Yeh , Yeh .... I know ... but would you toss a mate a $18 lure amongst the oysters ;) NAGG

robyoung2
04-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Rob_tanter, mate, that blokes sendingme all that fishinggear,and I swear I didn't know him from a bar of soap. He was an interesting bloke but. Lives under police protction, gave evidence that saw that mafia family going down ten years back or so.

He ws an undercover cop for years.

Probably got more money than sense, and no future to save it for?

That's a bit mean huh.Sorry, shouldn't say crap like that

rob

rob tranter
05-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Rob_tanter, mate, that blokes sendingme all that fishinggear,and I swear I didn't know him from a bar of soap. He was an interesting bloke but. Lives under police protction, gave evidence that saw that mafia family going down ten years back or so.

He ws an undercover cop for years.

Probably got more money than sense, and no future to save it for?

That's a bit mean huh.Sorry, shouldn't say crap like that

rob

robyoung2,
you've let the cat out of the bag now, the mafia will have him for sure.
Rob8-)

roydsy
05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
So can anyone honestly say that they have fished say a Kokoda tournament Gold G Vibe side by side with a TN60 Jackall ....... & the Jackall NAGG

I dunno but i got 3 for $10 from a clearance bin just recently so i intend to try them out this weekend. The look pretty descent for $3.35 each.

:P

aussie_stu
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
anyone tried the river 2 sea tungsten vibes?? any feedback on them for about $13 they look pretty good

http://www.river2sea.com.au/img/productImages/River2Sea/Phantom/phantom%20ha14_lge.jpg

Leigh77
05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
So can anyone honestly say that they have fished say a Kokoda tournament Gold G Vibe side by side with a TN60 Jackall ....... & the Jackall has come up trumps! ..... very keen to hear some responses:-/
I plan to toss a mate a couple of the Kokoda sprogs tomorrow night & compare them to Strike Pro Pigmys & Eco gear SX40s that I'll use ..... Yeh , Yeh .... I know ... but would you toss a mate a $18 lure amongst the oysters ;) NAGG

I dont own any other style of lipless crankbait (why buy an inferior product?) but a mate who comes fishing with me quite often does own a few...and any other cheap and nasty jackall knockoff on the market.

To put it simply...Jackalls win hands down!

The first time I tried it with a mate (he didnt know the experiment was taking place) I caught about 5 fish for his 1...I let him know that I was keeping count on the way home and he was a little cut about it (as he refuses to buy a jackall). The best excuse he came up with was that I had the front of the boat, therefor I had first shot at new water. That had some merit I thought to myself, so we moved to part 2.

The next time we went out, I gave him the front casting deck and control of the bowmount and we were away...fishing in a totally different area then we did the first time. (God it was good fishing without having to worry about the elec motor, but thats another story). Once again, the jackalls came out on top. Jackalls scored more than double than my mate got.

Once again he tried with the excuses and came up with nothing...even tried the "I stirred em up"...but had nothing when I asked why the bass werent chewing on his replicas after I stirred them up a few weeks previous.

They do work...what else can I say!?

Though I have had days when they dont work...but on these days you can pretty much be assured that not much else is working either....And on days when you have to throw softly weighted pastics, waiting half an hour for the things to sink down to 25' where the fish are sulking, just to get one fish...you can have that, I got better ways to spend my time.

robyoung2
05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe you're just a better fisherman, and I don't mean to be rude. The next step for a true experiment will be for him to use your jackalls, and you use his replicas. That should shine a final light on any ecuse he feels, and make an end to the whole point.

cheers'rob

Mike Delisser
05-03-2007, 06:12 PM
anyone tried the river 2 sea tungsten vibes?? any feedback on them for about $13 they look pretty good

http://www.river2sea.com.au/img/productImages/River2Sea/Phantom/phantom%20ha14_lge.jpg
I tried a couple in the small size and I wasn't that impressed with their action, ie none. Maybe the larger sizes have more "Vib".

rob tranter
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
This is all very interesting, but I will say (even though i have been the main nocker of the catch F@#kall Jackall), that while fishing a dam out west (Tamworth way) I was out fished by a couple of young fellas using Jackalls.
This was just after the lure was released on to the market.
These boys lobbed up after I and a mate had been casting for two hours, using every lure available to us (except jackalls) and caught 5 yeelow belly within ten minutes. I had a look at their lures and to this day fail to see the difference between their jackalls and the rapala that we were using.
When I asked why they work, one of the boys said,

"I don't really know, but I do know they attract around seven to eight strikes for every ten or so casts, where as your rapalas would only attract maybe two strikes for every ten or so casts".

Me personally I can't answer as I have had little succes on any of these bibless type lures, but after all of your contributions to this thread I would say it's because of my lack of experience and impatience.

Thanks guys for the contribution you all have made to my education in the art of bibless lure fishing for Bass. I hope to put it to good work.
Rob8-)

Leigh77
07-03-2007, 06:41 AM
This is all very interesting, but I will say (even though i have been the main nocker of the catch F@#kall Jackall), that while fishing a dam out west (Tamworth way) I was out fished by a couple of young fellas using Jackalls.
This was just after the lure was released on to the market.
These boys lobbed up after I and a mate had been casting for two hours, using every lure available to us (except jackalls) and caught 5 yeelow belly within ten minutes. I had a look at their lures and to this day fail to see the difference between their jackalls and the rapala that we were using.
When I asked why they work, one of the boys said,

"I don't really know, but I do know they attract around seven to eight strikes for every ten or so casts, where as your rapalas would only attract maybe two strikes for every ten or so casts".

Me personally I can't answer as I have had little succes on any of these bibless type lures, but after all of your contributions to this thread I would say it's because of my lack of experience and impatience.

Thanks guys for the contribution you all have made to my education in the art of bibless lure fishing for Bass. I hope to put it to good work.
Rob8-)

I honestly dont think fishing "ability" has anything to do with it...I will flash back now to the first ever time I used a jackall.

I was fishing Hinze Dam and i was trying my normal arsenal of lures/flies, including spinnerbaits, beetlespins, hardbodied lures of different colours and depths and was catching nothing!

I entered a bay that just had that Bassy look all over it...fished it hard with both spinnerbaits and hard bodied lures and got nothing...meanwhile my first ever jackall was sitting in my tacklebox (still in its box). I bought the thing, so I may as well try it out.

I refished the bay using the jackall...2nd cast and I was on. I couldnt believe it, the hype may be right afterall. By the time I finished fishing that bay (again) I had caught 14 fish and approx 6 of those hit the lure on the drop. That made me a believer!

But to get back to the experience/patience factor...I had never used a lipless crankbait before that day! Like in one of my previous posts here...just chuck it out, and slowly retrieve back to the boat.

They may not look much different from the other style crankbaits, but thy act and sound different. The jackalls have a deeper rattle then others and IMO a better action (especially on the drop)

If you ever get a jackall, just take note on how many fish you get hooking up straight after you engage the real and the lure moves that slightest bit...I think that the action on the drop gets most of the fish interested and the rest is history.

I dont know if it still does, but when they first came out part of the writing on the back (in japanese) says "for fish, just add water".

Mike Delisser
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I dont know if it still does, but when they first came out part of the writing on the back (in japanese) says "for fish, just add water".[/quote]

That's the problem Leigh, we have plenty of Jackalls but we don't have enough water.
M62