PDA

View Full Version : My First LT on an S10 Egrell

Frank OO
25-02-2007, 10:04 AM
The weather predictions were good and Ben and I were busting to get amongst some of those AJ’s at Caloundra Wide. Big Ren and Black Sheep came along for the ride as well so this was going to be the trip to be remembered.

The wind was up and the waves seemed to get bigger with every kilometer until 1.45 hours later we arrived at spot Nowhere. That is exactly where the bait fish were. Nowhere to be seen. I have never see it so dead. We searched for hours and ended up going back to Caloundra where the birds were working everywhere.

About 4kilometers due east of the Fairway beacon the water seemed to be alive with all forms of tuna. I should have taken some photos of the sounder because the whole sounder was full of bait from the bottom to about 15 meters.

This is where the LT’s and Cobia were.

Black Sheep(Navi) started us off with a small cobia (about 5Kg) and then both Ben and I latched on to LT’s at the same time.

Even Big Ren(Paul) caught one. I am sure that we could have kept on catching but Ben’s social life took precedence.

I have been lucky enough to catch lots of LT’s before but I have never caught one on the S10. The rod gives you a tremendous amount of feel but it really is sports fishing at its best. Big Bertha ( A much bigger Version of the S10) has spoilt me as the fish seem to come in a lot easier. I believe you are making an even bigger version Eric. I can’t wait.

I don’t know how you are able to pull in 19Kgs of Long Tail Tuna in such a short time. Mine was only 8.2kg and I was buggered after that.

Here are some photos of Ben’s casual approach using a very bent Loomis.

Frank OO

reel scream
25-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Well done Frank. Looks like you all had fun. I assume they were caught on plastics? How was the current out wider?

Cheers Scott.

Frank OO
25-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Good Morning Scott,

We were using the Sea Anchor because the wind was blowing about 17 -20 Knots so that just about stopped the boat.

We moved along in a north east direction but very slowly.

Yes Scott the plastics seem to be the way to go. In Fact, I think that sometimes they work too well.

I normally try to imitate the bait which in this case seemed to be tiny; about 2 inches or 4 cms but Navi, Ben and Paul caught theirs on 7" Gulps of all different colours.

Frank OO

Adamy
25-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Well done Frank, looked like a top day out Eric just delivered me an S10 Bear pretty keen to put a bend in it!! Nice pics too Ben looks like he was savoring the moments. Top stuff!

Adam

Frank OO
25-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Adam,

How good is that. Most probably the best rod builder in Australia and he delivers it to you personally.

Amazing stuff. Eric has a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience and actually uses all the rods himself so he is talking from experience and knows every inch of that rod.

I haven't seen the BeaR in action but I believe it is a hell of a lot stronger than mine.

I just Love em. You will have to get Scalem to bring you up one day.

Frank OO

Adamy
25-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeh Frank... I was REALLY impressed by the level of service. I drove up to Redcliffe to try and pick one up from sundown - but they were out - gave them the money and about a 1/2 hour later Eric was on the phone and we talked for about an hour. I have a lot of rods and never had the builder ring me before and thank me for the purchase. So between that and the personal delivery service - cant beat it!

The rods itself feels special so I cant wait to give it a go! Heading out with Eric this week hopefully so will let you know how we go. Would be ultra keen to have a fish with you sometime too.

Take care,

Adam

eotbmg
25-02-2007, 10:00 PM
A warning for you Adam-If you go out in the HMAS FrankOO you had better know some old crappy songs to sing along to-I think it turns him on when you join in to ITS A MOREY?
Cheers
Ben

Frank OO
26-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Ben,

You are only jealous because I sing better than you do.

Adam,

What makes you so special that you get an invitation to go out with the elite Rod Builder. I haven't been asked out in that death defying boat of his. Be Careful while you are out there be cause Eric has lost all of his strength since he cut all his hair off.

Have you had a look at the weather this week--Fantastic.

Frank OO

Big_Ren
26-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Ah yes, another great trip on the HMAS Frank OO::) Fishing was dodgy to start with because FrankOO took us to Spot Jack Diddly instead of Spot X and we virtually drew a blank for the morning session (do we count your baby parrot Frank?).

Maybe Frank's singing also put 'em off;D We finally coaxed him to take us to some fish and he finally relented:P Still a good day with good company and shitloads of laughs. Hopefully those arm-extending AJs will play the game next time.

Paul

indy
26-02-2007, 12:51 PM
G'day frank we also come across large schools of bonito chewing up the bait around the shallow banks area on the way home but didn't bother trying to catch any we had enough by then nice going with the long tail

cheers pete...

Frank OO
26-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Pete,

I think you were smart to stay out there over night but it would have kept the heart pumping.

I think I would have been heading for home as well.

Frank OO

Adamy
26-02-2007, 10:15 PM
What makes you so special that you get an invitation to go out with the elite Rod Builder.

I dont know if it was the pleading, begging , groveling or the tears which finally bought him around:P;D. Hope to have something to report - weather's looking the goods so far.

eotbmg: Happy to sing ah morey - just dont want to catch a moray!:P

Adam

Big_Ren
27-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Adam, Frank's singing is to attract the fishes. It takes him a while to warm up but eventually they come to the party;D Here's a couple more opera lovers that enjoyed Frank's dulcet tones:-/

Cheers
Paul

eotbmg
27-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I think you are on to sometning there Paul. He held out on the singing and the good fish until the late arvo, until he started singing. He loves"well you can something me something baby" it really get the tunas heart pounding!
Ben
PS. Great photos!

Big_Ren
27-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I think you are on to sometning there Paul. He held out on the singing and the good fish until the late arvo, until he started singing. He loves"well you can something me something baby" it really get the tunas heart pounding!
Ben
PS. Great photos!

Yep right on Ben...that single tune is his call of the wild;D ;D He knows the words well...yes mate...nice pics indeed:-X .

Cheers
Paul

Scalem
28-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Aha!

This is the thread you were talking about Adam!! Sounds like you should bring your new rod up to Bribie and fish off the HMAS Frankoo, and if you want me to schaeffer you there that's as good an excuse for me as any!! I think that'll be a good deal!! :o I still think my bay /estuary gear prevented me from catching the same number of fish as you last time - I really need to prove it was not a hoodoo I have.::) Or maybe I have not sung my whale song in such a long time... I need to start doing that again.... Dae dae dae dee dada dae dae......

What are you doing Saturday November 17th??;D I think we might be hopeful to get a booking even that far away;D ;D

Let's see what we can organise, or maybe after fishing with Eric tomorrow you will think your rod is well and truely "broken In"

Let's see what happens

Scalem

Locked Up
28-02-2007, 09:14 PM
hi frank, i'm always looking for new ways to cook tuna.have you any good recipes you could share with us,without getting too technical

black_sheep
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
FrankOO,

Thanks for the great day out mate - it was a great experience for me as I've never fished deep water with plastics in that manner (3/4 to 1oz jigheads) but certainly opened my eyes to a different method of chasing fish - offshore.

Thanks for the loan of the combo too, it was a pleasure to fish with. As for the company and the singing - need I say anymore.

Ben the "donut king" was lucky in the end to have a LT commit suicide on his plastic (followed by a MacTuna) but we had to fire the fish up for him first. Probably have to do the same for him at Monduran!

Once again Frank, thanks for the great day out!!

Now I have to invest in another SP combo! When's your next trip to Japan????

Frank OO
02-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi Locked Up,

My recipies are pretty boring. I love Tuna Raw as sushimi. I do cook it on the BBq but a thin 1cm steak gets about 15 seconds each side so that it is still very pink in the middel.

It is the sauces that make the difference.

Frank OO

Frank OO
02-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Ben, Paul,

You will get me into trouble you buggers.

Frank OO