PDA

View Full Version : Overturned Boat in Sth Pasage

nelton87
24-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I was done at Raby Bay this morning and saw a Ausfish Members boat coming back behind a rescue boat, The guys told me it overturned this morning on the Sth Passage Bar. It was a white hull Cox Craft Rum Runner with purple top, Hope the guys are all okay!:'(
Nelton:'(

Brumby
25-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Not good! Anyone know any more about it?

rubba
25-02-2007, 08:59 PM
yeah mate was me we where on our way out fishing and at the back of the bar we had freak wave stand up and smashed us

Alchemy
25-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Bugger! How long were you in the water for Rubba, and how did you raise the alarm?

Regards,
Dave.

grey_inflatable
25-02-2007, 09:11 PM
gee mate hope you are all ok, its happened to me in my rubber duck but luckily the guys had life jackets on. one climb back on and i flancked the other has he swam a shore but gee each time. i go out even as we drive up the beach to launch i feel stressted, charters boats are good. but i hope alls ok with your crew nelton mate

Obi _ Wan
25-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear rubba, hope all are OK and you didn't lose to much gear or suffer to much damage to the boat.
I hate bars, have had a few close calls over the years but i am always very wary and extremely untrusting of the bloody things and will only cross if there is no other way.

Hoping all is well.

Obi_Wan.

MEGA'bite
26-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello to all rubba and myself (flattyfinder ) were in the upturned boat on the south passage bar at the week end.
So everyone wants to know what happened.
ok so its like this ,we were nearly through the bar when we were faced with a huge wave of about 20 ft or so,that came up out of nowhere,at this stage we looked at each other and said holly shit
and if you have crossed bars before you would know once your are commited to the wave there is no turning back.
So we climbed the wave at this stage the boat was in a vertical position nearly at the top of the wave when it broke through us leaving us with no water and 20 or so ft in the air, all you could hear for a split second was the engine screaming out of the water.
At this stage the boat proceeded to fall back to the water engine first, wich swamped the engine and filled the boat to the gunnel with water.
We tried to fire her up immediately but were hit by another wave instantly wich turned her over, then the fun started.
I managed to get out through the side of the canopy, good thing Dale had taken the clears off only 30 mins before.Im out swimming with the sharks (my worst fear) ,managed to grab hold of the bow rail as this was the only part of the boat above the water at this stage.
I was looking for Dale could not see him anywhere,started to get worried as i had not seen him as yet. A minute or so had passed , seemed like a life time.
I could hear him but could not see him. He was still under the boat but up in the front in the air pocket with a life jacket on.
I could talk with Dale through the hull ,I told him to unclipped his life jacket on my signal and wait for me to come in and get him out. On the next calmer wave i unclipped my life jacket clipped it to the bow rail and proceeded to dive under the boat to where he was.
In a flash we were both out with one life jacket in tow. Try an pull a life jacket 5 ft under the water it not easy.
No sooner when we surfaced we could see our companion boat 50 ft away. They did an excellent job in that swell to get a rope to us and drag us to there boat.
Raby bay coast guard were notified and they came out and retrived the boat. and a great bunch of blokes they are too. Thanks to all there help.
We lost a lot of exspenseive fishing gear and personal gear, and that can be replaced , but most importantly we have our lives.
So to all a wise word spend time with your loved ones , as in a instant your lives can be taken, no mater how much experience you have . The sea is not forgiving.
Thanks again to Raby bay A S R and bundy one for the rescue.

MEGA'bite
26-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Another thing forget about setting off the ebirb you dont have time grab it , its just get out , and the biggest bilge pump wont help either. We were only in the water for about 10 mins.

Dirtysanchez
26-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow Flattyfinder, an amazing story and at least as you say you both survived.
You did very well to stay calm and go back in for your mate, well done !!

I bet new underpants were required after that one. Think you have both earned a quiet Rum to get over that one

I hope the insurance company looks after you guys

Russell

Kerry
26-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Flatty/Rubba, So what are the thoughts of the life jacket requirements for bar crossings considering the number of people that are/get trapped under hulls in similar sitautions like this and the difficulty of getting getting people out.

Regards, Kerry.

trueblue
26-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear everyone was ok, and a good reminder for everyone to be at least an associate member with your local VMR or Coast Guard. Your memberships are the main source of funding that keep these rescue boats on the water.

Cheers

Mick

tigermullet
26-02-2007, 12:34 PM
That was an amazing account flatty/rubba and would have been a scary thing to go through. Well done! The story was first class, reading it almost made me feel as if I was there. Congratulations on keeping your heads under pressure. A brilliant 'save' all round and both of you deserve a medal.

Jeremy
26-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Dale/flatty,

thanks for the account of your bad misfortune on the SP bar. Bad luck about the boat and all your lost fishing gear, but at least you are both OK.

I have seen the Caloundra bar from the wrong site (upside down) and know the feeling.

Hope your insurance is good and you are able to replace the engine and fishing gear soon. I know there is alot of work goes into the insurance claim.

Get back out there soon.

Jeremy

liltuffy
26-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Put the wind up me too, I've been crossing St Passage for about 15 years and seen some curly ones come through - not like that though.

Makes me think a bit more before I just sail through next time.

Glad all are OK.

Craig

FNQCairns
26-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Very happy to hear you both made it safely home even after wearing a lifejacket to cross a bar, the trade off for the experience is now you have a great story for the rest of your lifetimes, although it may not feel like that ATM.

Best of luck and get back on the water soon.

cheers fnq

Greg P
26-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Flatty/Rubba, So what are the thoughts of the life jacket requirements for bar crossings considering the number of people that are/get trapped under hulls in similar situations like this and the difficulty of getting getting people out.

Regards, Kerry.

Glad to hear you guys made it through the ordeal safely.

Excellent point Kerry. This is exactly the scenario where the mandatory wearing of life jackets can kill people. No way you would get out of an overturned larger boat with them on. They have their place in small craft but they are a killer in this situation when crossing a bar.

Out of interest how fast were you guys going prior to the big pressure wave coming through ?

Cheers

Greg

MEGA'bite
26-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Greg when we saw that wave 120 horses were let loose.

lippa
26-02-2007, 01:50 PM
glad to hear you guys are ok,

we wear in flatable pfd's when crossing bars.
they can be manuly inflated prior to crossing the bar, which we do.
they can be deflated just as easy, and the ripcord is there, if ya really in the shit.

if any one can elborate on their ideas that would be great.

cheers

lippa

mark221263
26-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Flatty / Rubba, glad to hear your all ok.

I bought a new inflatable life jacket for the boat before christmas with the main reason being I could wear it if fishing at night etc and that when out side their reasonably comnfortable to wear for a fair bit of the time if conditions are rough.

Being able to wear them in un-inflated mode for situations like yours never crossed my mind but is definatly worth considering the advantages. You can now buy them for well under $100. Also the take up bugger all room when stored away.

Of interest what were the conditions like apart from your freek wave, and for the rest of us what would you do different if caught in the same situation??? so we may learn for your misfortune.

Cheers Mark

themissus
26-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys,
Glad to hear you are both ok. Hope you are back on the water soon.
Cheers Kim.

rakinray
26-02-2007, 03:00 PM
G/ day all, glad to hear you guys are all ok ;D as a regular user of the south passage i was wondering what channel you guys were heading thru ? I use the amity if the swell is small or from the se direction and i use the nthn channel if the swell is up. I had made plans to head out to the wide grounds on the week-end but after checking out the surf cams and bouyweather decided to use the southport seaway glad i did now ! Hope all turns out with the insurance.

CHEERS RAY PS have even used the middle channel to get in when all others are unpassable.

BAR UP
26-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow what a story. i am sitting here visualising everything you described cause i have been in the same situation, well almost. Got smashed on Jumpinpin bar about 10yrs ago. Big easterly swell same thing was committed had to keep going, smash broken windscreen boat 1/2 full of water then second wave just got over, boat only going 1knot ph, bilge going flat out. 2 injured mates. Second boat was ok & was there incase we had to bail out. Everything turned out ok for us that time. Next time 3yrs ago on Caloundra bar i did not feel confident another easterly swell so did not chance it & turned back. Glad to hear youse are ok. Your story brings back scarry memories.:o

Deiter
26-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Glad to hear you made it out. Interesting point made about the compulsory wearing of lifejackets through bars mandate. It could go either way i guess. Anyhow, hope you get sorted and back out there before the snapper run.

Damo

death_ship
26-02-2007, 04:35 PM
the bar was nasty that morning, run out tide, big swell, we looked at it and turned around. In my opinion it was unsafe for smaller craft. 2 hours later after the tide turned it was a lot better. Lucky it turned out ok. I saw 2 other small craft take it on and i thought the rescue may have been for them. A lot of the vessels in the little ships club game fish tournament went up the inside of moreton to get outside.

indy
26-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Good to hear you are both ok that would have to be my worst nightmare, i hate bars part of the reason i leave mostly from mooloolabha or bribie you just never no hope you are back on the water soon

cheers pete...

webby
26-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Glad to hear you both survived the ordeal, she's not the most plesant bar to cross on a run out tide.
have any of you blokes though of buying a Stormy Lifejacket for use when crossing bars, there not the cheapest jacket around, but you wear them just like a wet weather jacket, long sleeved or you can unzip the sleeves and wear it as a vest.
the left pocket hides the inflation device, just a matter of riping the velcrose pocket off and it self inflates.
My missus thinking my life insurance was not ample enough brought one for me last year, as i do a fair few overniters by myself, havent had to use it yet, but it does give you a sense of security.
regards

honda900
26-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Boys,

Great to see your both out Ok..

I will be doing the Bill Cortens bar course in the near future just for the confidence factor, don't know that it would have helped in your situation..

Good to see your mates were around to help and you blokes were sensible enough to be out there with another boat.

Hope the insurance stuff goes easy for you..

Regards
Honda

dogsbody
26-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Alive and kicking that's the main thing. You can replace every else but you can't replace a mate or father or son don't take anything for granted.

The inflatable jacket would have been handy in your case another point to consider what if someone got knocked out and you had no time to inflate it the std jacket would be good in that situation. Pros and cons i suppose.

Good to hear you guys are well.

Dave.

BLOOEY
26-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Jesus christ,scary stuff guys.good to see you made it.Brings back the memories of a bad pin bar experience i once had with a mate,who coincidentally had done the bill corten bar crossing course,I think it gave him a little too much confidence though.

Poodroo
26-02-2007, 07:22 PM
It's everyones' worst fears to have that happen to them out on the water. Have been on the water once in rough seas in the bay with northerly winds and the motor dropped a cylinder. With the lack of power and waves sometimes big enough to come over the sides of the boat it was a bit worried. The water spared us that day but you guys got unlucky depending on how you look at it. Sad about the boat and gear but as you say they can be replaced but life itself can't. Glad you guys are okay.

Poodroo

Chine
26-02-2007, 08:03 PM
No brainer.

Auto inflation Cat1 PFD every time.

Regards

Chine

Redspeckle
26-02-2007, 08:39 PM
flattyfinder
In what part of the south passage bar did the boat over turn in was Amity channel or Northern channel or Middle channel
I am glad you's are okay shame about losing your fishing& boating equipment many a time i have come to the south passage bar and thinking about crossing it being too big with eastly swell direction and come home with my tail between my legs
Just wandering Did yous try to cross it when the sun is coming up on the horizion I have had experinces where the sun's glare hides the waves are coming at you now I wear polariod glasses ( stay on the boat at all times) now and can see them coming

I think be invest in a self inflatable life jacket something like Webbys

And too Bill Cortens bar course i have done it I have taken and learn common sense approach from it my boat has different capbiltes to his boat which is much big and more horespower and more free board in height
Mitch

Angla
26-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Glad to hear that all the occupants survived the ordeal. That is most important.

Hope you can get straight back on the horse.

I looked at the Jumpinpin bar at 6.00am and 9.00am on the same morning and decided to not take it on at both timings. Also saw many other boats , small and large to 7 metres turn back as well which just confirms my decision was safe for myself, my crew and the boat.

Better luck next time

Chris

Angla
26-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Sorry for double post

trueblue
26-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Manually inflatable jackets are better in my opinion for bar crossings, as an auto inflatable will trap you in the cabin just the same.

But with a manual inflation, you have to take the chance that you don't get knocked unconcious in the rollover, as you have to manually pull the cord to inflate it.

Cheers

Mick

Chine
27-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Manually inflatable jackets are better in my opinion for bar crossings, as an auto inflatable will trap you in the cabin just the same.

But with a manual inflation, you have to take the chance that you don't get knocked unconcious in the rollover, as you have to manually pull the cord to inflate it.

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

Point taken.

I believe that the chances of banging your head against a bimini frame, rocket launchers, bait boards etc are too high to default to manual inflation. Invariably, there is a lot happening during a bar incident and time is of the essence. It would be interesting to research a number of incidents to see how many have actually been caught under an overturned vessel.

Regards

Chine

ozscott
27-02-2007, 08:48 AM
trueblue is spot on. I have a manual inflation lazilas - its clearly a PFD1 but was made a year or so before they started labelling them as such. Mine has the pull cord and gas cylinder to inflate. The problem with them is that you cannot pull the cord if you are knocked out by the roll and the whole boat is hard enough to knock you out if you hit it with your nog. There are a couple of other problems with them - it would be possible to punture them on the way out of the boat or in the water next to rocks etc, and they blow up to an enourmous size (I tried mine once with the valve blowing it up manually - ie lung filled) and are hard to move about in, and hard to get off. All in all, I think that they are much better than nothing and are suited more to what they are marketed to...yachties who need to work without restriction at all times and pretty constantly.

I prefer a good quality SOLAS set up with colar that keeps your head upright, but as pointed out by others there are pros and cons.

Cheers

PS. I am always paranoid about the bar. Bloody bar can stand up quickly with change of tide etc. I am probably on the more woosy side of the bar crossing public, only going when it looks really good. Glad to hear that everyone was OK.

Roughasguts
27-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow nice account of the situation nasty.

Question though and i'm sure you will corect me if i'm wrong, but a pressure wave is just that, rises sharply, then falls just as rapidly, so basically it's standing almost still.

So in hindsight would the best course of action been, not have release the 120 HP, and just sit and watch, the wave rise and disapear.

I know in hinsight theres always should'a, could'a, would'a, and if placed in that situation again what would you do have done, with your new found experiance.

Would you have Sat back (time distance permitting) with the boat displacing water ? or gunned it? just wondering if you sat back do you think the outcome be more favourable.

Please don't get me wrong i'm not having a dig, I'm hoping we can all learn from your account.

MEGA'bite
27-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Roughasguts good point but the wave in question was upon us in mili seconds and left us with no where to go but up it.Dont get the wrong idea either but unless you have experienced this sort of wave/situation then its hard to explain or understand. By the way hindsight is a wonderful thing. :)

Kiktz
27-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Firstly I am very glad that all got out safe and sound.

Secoundly I would like to know your thoughts on wearing life jackets whilst crossing the bar ( a bar ,any bar)
I try and be as safety aware as possible, one of my biggest fears is gettign trapped under the hull with a jacket on. My Method of getting around this is have them at hand but I dont wear one. Quite simply if the bar is looking that icky and I dont feel confident I wont cross.

Aj

Chine
27-02-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb57500b94508cc/Pdf_c12_3_2004.pdf

trueblue
27-02-2007, 11:23 AM
There are a couple of other problems with them - it would be possible to punture them on the way out of the boat or in the water next to rocks etc, and they blow up to an enourmous size (I tried mine once with the valve blowing it up manually - ie lung filled) and are hard to move about in, and hard to get off.

Very true about the puncture risk, but that is much more of a risk when inflated. Before inflation, the inflatable cell is well protected by the external jacket covers.

I wear inflatable life jackets when flying in helicopters out over the ocean very regularly. These are the manual inflation ones, prescribed by the CAA and other aviation authorities. If the chopper dumps and flips, you have to be able to swim out and that is an impossibility if the jacket is inflated. Auto inflatable units are not permitted by the authorities. For me personally, its not much different to being stuck in a boat. Other people may well see things differently for a boat, and it may depend on the type of your boat as well.

As mentioned above, these inflatable jackets are difficult to move in once inflated, and are not very comfortable to swim in when you are in the water. I very much dislike it when I am doing offshore sea survival refresher training and they make us do it in an inflatable life jacket as opposed to the conventional one because of the discomfort factor. They will save your life in the water, but are not comfortable at all. The primary advantage of the inflatable is the freedom of movement allowed while wearing them before the sh!t hits the fan, and that you don't get trapped by buoyancy or physical size restrictions of the inflated jacket.

My personal choice for a bar crossing is manually inflated, because that is what I wear in helicopters (for my employment), and as I have to accept that risk of surviving an impact and being able to swim out of a dumped chopper and use the manually inflated jacket, then I personally see it the same way in a boat on a bar. However, my evaluation of personal risk in the context of my own circumstances and the risks I have to accept regularly with my employment is most likely very different to many other people.

Therefore, people choosing life jackets need to choose their own type of life jacket based on their own personal evaluation of risk.

If you feel that you want to protect against the chance of being knocked unconcious in an incident, and accept the risks of potentially unwanted buoyancy, then it would be my suggestion that you go with a conventional PFD Type 1 or higher standard life jacket that is comfortable and sized correctly for you to wear in the boat. I think a conventional type is better than an auto inflate in this scenario because of the "in water' user discomfort of the inflatable.

If you want to protect against the possibility of being trapped by buoyancy, and accept the discomfort of actually using the inflatable life jacket once you are in the water then my suggestion is to go for a good quality PFD Type 1 Manual Inflation jacket.

Each person needs to make this decision themselves after carefully evaluating the pros and cons in relation to their own situation, boat, etc.

There is no easy answer where one style can be stated to be better than the other as both options offer distinct advantages. It all comes down to personal choice.

Cheers

Mick

FNQCairns
27-02-2007, 01:30 PM
YES! Manual inflation all the way! for me and mine yway, to anyone who has never actually had an auto inflate when on the water best to try it first.

Suffocating and ability draining is a couple of descriptions that fit these vests. Just being in the water because the boat has capsized is not in it's self a life threatening experience for many sometimes there will be work to be done and those jackets are real tough to get off and back on actually I cannot get them back on but can get foam jackets back on easy enough.

I cannot believe the risk of being knocked unconsious is high enough to warrent auto inflation with all of it's limitations, now if the boat was a 100mph craft auto inflate all the way!

Years ago we would advise that no-one was to wear a life jacket (apart from kids)when bar crossing as it was the safest option in our 1/2 cab boats.

cheers fnq

MADKEEN
27-02-2007, 01:53 PM
A valuable lesson for every one crossing the bar on the bottom half of the run out tide with a good 1.5-2 mtr east swell running, keener than me. Yes and i do use this bar quite regularly. The Pressure waves on the out edge can be very nasty at times. sorry for lose Flattyfinder but good to see no lose of life.

Chine
27-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Very true about the puncture risk, but that is much more of a risk when inflated. Before inflation, the inflatable cell is well protected by the external jacket covers.

I wear inflatable life jackets when flying in helicopters out over the ocean very regularly. These are the manual inflation ones, prescribed by the CAA and other aviation authorities. If the chopper dumps and flips, you have to be able to swim out and that is an impossibility if the jacket is inflated. Auto inflatable units are not permitted by the authorities. For me personally, its not much different to being stuck in a boat. Other people may well see things differently for a boat, and it may depend on the type of your boat as well.

As mentioned above, these inflatable jackets are difficult to move in once inflated, and are not very comfortable to swim in when you are in the water. I very much dislike it when I am doing offshore sea survival refresher training and they make us do it in an inflatable life jacket as opposed to the conventional one because of the discomfort factor. They will save your life in the water, but are not comfortable at all. The primary advantage of the inflatable is the freedom of movement allowed while wearing them before the sh!t hits the fan, and that you don't get trapped by buoyancy or physical size restrictions of the inflated jacket.

My personal choice for a bar crossing is manually inflated, because that is what I wear in helicopters (for my employment), and as I have to accept that risk of surviving an impact and being able to swim out of a dumped chopper and use the manually inflated jacket, then I personally see it the same way in a boat on a bar. However, my evaluation of personal risk in the context of my own circumstances and the risks I have to accept regularly with my employment is most likely very different to many other people.

Therefore, people choosing life jackets need to choose their own type of life jacket based on their own personal evaluation of risk.

If you feel that you want to protect against the chance of being knocked unconcious in an incident, and accept the risks of potentially unwanted buoyancy, then it would be my suggestion that you go with a conventional PFD Type 1 or higher standard life jacket that is comfortable and sized correctly for you to wear in the boat. I think a conventional type is better than an auto inflate in this scenario because of the "in water' user discomfort of the inflatable.

If you want to protect against the possibility of being trapped by buoyancy, and accept the discomfort of actually using the inflatable life jacket once you are in the water then my suggestion is to go for a good quality PFD Type 1 Manual Inflation jacket.

Each person needs to make this decision themselves after carefully evaluating the pros and cons in relation to their own situation, boat, etc.

There is no easy answer where one style can be stated to be better than the other as both options offer distinct advantages. It all comes down to personal choice.

Cheers

Mick

The highlighted quotation, I believe, just about covers it.

I do not understand the mindset of individuals who do not wear lifejackets, irrespective of the illegality, whilst crossing bars. We should not only be responsible for ourselves but also potential rescuers. Look at what happened in NZ recently.

Three types of Cat1 PFD's allied with two types of risk. The auto inflation & closed cell covered type against the manual inflation type. You may be stuck under a vessel with the first two and unable to get out or you may be unconscious and possible drowning with the latter. These are the risks and from that we make choice.

The helicopter manually inflated units are normally dual separate chambers and fitted with flares, EPIRB and strobe. Commercial PFD usage normally employs combined auto and manual inflation along with Personal 406 locator beacons.

I quite often venture outside alone and so am a great advocate of lightweight, comfortable, auto inflating PFD's. Choice..........

Regards

Chine

trueblue
27-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Choice..........

Precisely, its an individuals choice.

For me, I prefer to swim unhindered until I choose inflation of the jacket. I want the ability to swim without restriction, and to be able to climb onto things, upturned boats, rafts, etc, or out of the water in some way without the life jacket in the way: until that point in time that additional flotation becomes necessary for me. Life Jackets of all types are a hinderance in that respect, but you need personal flotation to be instantly available for when you need it. For me thats my choice, but I respect all choices that others make.

There are a lot of right ways to comply with your legal and moral obligations.

Cheers

Mick

dnej
27-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Rubba,did you look at your mail yet
David

rubba
27-02-2007, 03:09 PM
thanks to every one for caring about a fellow ausfisher.it was a trip i would sooner forget.but let us learn from this and to take more care.thanks to flatty my best mate and remember it can happen to any of us.thanks 2 bundy 1 and the raby bay air sea rescue they done a great job.the guys down there are awsome sorry for interupting youre breakfast. thanks again every one rubba

Cloud_9
27-02-2007, 09:20 PM
just wondering what type of 120Hp on how big boat??
Cloud 9

moparrob
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
sorry to bring this back up but i am a new member first time poster and i know first hand what RUBBA is talking about we experienced a freak wave coming out of the amity channel late last year i am glad we were in a fishing boat capable of doing a genuine 100km/hr as we hit the wave and launched over it just before it broke. The day was relatively uneventful except for that but could have been worse if we had less power than we had or had of stopped and waited for it as suggested
Rob

Splash
05-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Dale/flatty,

DO u think having flotation underneath the gunnels whould have helped at all?

Navi
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Dale / flatty, glad to hear your both okay, hope your back on the water soon...

cheers Chris

rubba
05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
mate flotation under gunnels definatly would have helped looking for new boat now

jimbo59
05-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Glad to see you boys are ok but i think you had too much speed when you hit the face of the wave because you said the motor was screaming in the air, and as the 120 horses were realesed.Look i'm not having a go at ya but ya don't leave the water if you can help it because if the wave is 20 foot you will be 40 foot in the air and you will come down vertical.The thing to do was gun it and back right off as you are climbing the wave then just push thru it and then you can do the same over again to get free from the swells.Years ago the solo man was to do a commercial off the old seaway bar when there wasn't any walls but he crapped himself when he saw the size of the waves and how ferocious it was so the made bruce harris look handsome and 20 years younger::) who remembers that,but he was getting the old cat past vertical:D the silly bugger can't even swim.

Splash
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks,

I am going to buy foam and put unerneath the gunnels right now!

rando
05-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Rubba/ FF
So glad niether of you were hurt, That must have been a very scary few minutes until you were both safe.
I hope you dont mind me asking a question, to gain as much knowledge from your misshap as possible.
Does anyone else think that having an epirb on your person is a good option.
Even if its not a personal epirb, is it a good idea to have it in hand when most at risk, (bars). Or is that overkill???
rando