PDA

View Full Version : buying my first boat

efc
24-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi all, im looking into buying my first boat. I was just wondering what i should look at when purchasing a new boat, condition of hull, scratches, dints motors condition ....
Any help would be great

thanks

Nick

trueblue
24-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Got to start by:

working out where you want to go,
what weather you want to be able to go in
how much range you want
what you want to do with the boat - fishing, cruising, crabbing, diving
How much shade you need
how many people you want to carry
how much fuel you are prepared to burn on each trip

The rest (like scratches, dings and nicks etc) will be determined by how much money you want to throw at it

cheers

Mick

goldfish
24-02-2007, 03:23 PM
have to agree with mick.. figger out how much you want to spend then go from there. boating can start from hundreds of dollors to millions it all depends on what you want & your budget.
but have to say you have started out the right way by asking for advice.
cheers
rick

efc
24-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Working out where you want to go: estuaries, sheltered bays and maybe some fresh water fishing (Brisbane river, jumpinpin, Broadwater, tweed river etc)

What weather you want to be able to go in? Will try and plan my trips to the best of my ability in order to stay out of the rough stuff.

What you want to do with the boat - fishing, cruising, crabbing, diving? Lure fishing mainly

How many people do you want to carry? 4 at most

I was thinking of a boat in the 4-5 meter range. Centre console would suit me the best but a run about style would also be ok for the fishing I want to do.

My max price range is about 5k

thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

trueblue
24-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Centre console open walkaround tinny with good floors / casting deck all round.

A 5 metre version of that for 5 grand, it'll be probably be quite a few years old, with lots of scratches, dings and nicks etc...

Go for functionality and a reliable engine. Don't look for engines with low hours, for your money it'll have lots of hours and will be good and used, but look for reciepts for servicing etc to proove its been maintained properly over its life.

nigelr
25-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Great advice from trueblue, IMO.
5 grand is the lower end of the market, you need to be realistic in what your expectations are within this budget.
Don't be in a hurry to buy, take your time and something acceptable will eventuate.
Trading Post, Boatpoint and Ebay will give you an idea of whats on the market and what its selling for.
Cheers.

Rastas1
04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I am very much in the same "boat" as you. I paid $3500 for a 4 1/2 m boat, front steer with cheap bimini and most of the gear with it. After all the Q/A's from part time boating enthusiest friends, I still felt a little in the lurch. But I still find what I have is very appreciable.

Although it is about 25+ years old with a 40 evinrude, which I understand as a reliable old horse, I warm it up before I leave for a trip and never have a problem at the ramp unlike some other people with newer boats.

BUT, aha, my fishing needs and wants are not quite right for the boat. Not complainng. No more fishing off the banks is a good thing. I like to cast net for bait and I carn't get my underage son to operate the boat - I would like more deck space for casting - not experienced enough to cruise out into deeper water, tra la la. My wife would like to come on a trip as well, but my 2 young boys are enough?!?

For what I have learnt, spend a little less than what you can afford in case you lose $$ on a resale. Besides just getting out, think of the factors of crabbing/netting/fishing technique. For me it was to get a tinnie to get out there, and I have certainly done that. But- there is always better. Don't think many people could disagree with that.

Have fun and do your BIT of research.

Rastas