PDA

View Full Version : Had Enough of the South Easters

Obi _ Wan
23-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I have always thought that if we had a few more islands in the top end of Moreton Bay we fishers from the top end of the bay would be able to get out more often in relative comfort.;D
You fishers that work out of the Southern end of the bay have those islands as well as a much shorter distance to travel to reach the western side of Staddie and then work right up the inside of Moreton Island. I know you also have to cross some fairly ordinary stretches of water to do that but no where near as much as those of us in the North.;D
As you would realise the bay lies in the direction that allows the South Easters to roar right up the middle and by the time it reachs us it can get very nasty.:(

Following is a few pictures i snapped last week when we took a ride out from Clontarf to the measured Mile, yeah righ but thats how it feels;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Obi_Wan

castamasta
23-02-2007, 10:41 PM
it looks like that was taken just off sunny coast lately :}

wayneoro
24-02-2007, 09:10 AM
you have to be joking nothing fishes better then a s/e and temps are down

Luc
24-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Not when you launch from Scarborough like today.

Checked SeaBreeze at 4 am, all good so hit the road and launched by 5 am, by the time I got out of the harbour, someone had turned the big fan to high.

Got halfway to the tripod beacon and decided to turn around and fish the sheltered water. got some small bream and whitings - no keepers.

According to SeaBreeze, Sunday am should be OK. Everything ready to go.

Luc

rockfisho
24-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I love the South Easters, it doesn't blow out the rocky corners, and seems to cause the fish to bite more ferociously. But they are BY FAR better than North Easters.

rockfisho

2DKnBJ
24-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Give me a South Easterly any time over a North Easter.

Cheers Dazza

saphire
24-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Obi_Wan, Yes the Southern end of the bay is fantastic and I am always raving on about how wonderful it is.
The thing is I wish so much to have access to Moreton Island. Im so envious of those who can get there when ever they want to.
The last time I went to Redcliffe I saw how wild the wind can get. Totally awsome to watch but I was glad I was not out in the middle of it.
May the force be with you.
saphire.

Scalem
24-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I have always noticed I am able to catch fish more reliably during a S/E than wind blowing from the North. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that. A westerly is even better, it flattens the surf and makes it easy for small boats to pop outside the bar for a fish. ;)

Scalem

Obi _ Wan
24-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree with all those who say the fishing is generally good in South Easters and have even done exceptionally well in North Easters (particularly on jewfish out of Broken Bay years ago).
The wind i don't like for fishing is the Northerly!

This original post was raised after i recieved an email which was titled, "Low Swell, 10 to 15 knot Breeze" and it carried the pictures that i posted here.

I thought it seemed familiar, we get a forecast 10 to 15 knots and you get out side and it gusting to 30.

Lost count of the times i have towed the Quinnie across the Hornibrook, looked out over Bramble Bay and thought, it looks good, only to launch and get out clear of Woody Point only to have our heads nearly blown off and green water over the bow.

I'm just a sarcastic "B" when it comes to weather forecasting reports these days, they only seem to get it right about 10% ? of the time, what do you people think, The GET IT RIGHT % is????????

Cheers,
Obi_Wan

Freeeedom
25-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Couldn't agree more Obi_Wan. I've lost count of the number of times this summer I've got up at 4am and been at Clontarf or Cabbage Tree Creek ramp ready to go to Moreton or Mud only to bounce across the chop for a kilometre or so before giving up and seeking some shelter. My Quinnie doesn't handle the chop like my old Haines used to do and my joints are not able to handle an hour of bone-rattling jolting across the bay any more. A few times I've not even bothered to launch but headed for Bribie instead. All of these were on days when the forecast was SE-NE winds 10 -15 knots, lighter SW winds early, seas to 0.7 metre. I guess eventually we'll get some decent days - probably by July, but there won't be any macs around then!
Cheers Freeeedom

Hamish73
25-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I tend to disagree and think the forcasts are normally the other way around, with the wind rarely being as strong as the forcast. I have been windsurfing for the past 20 years, and I have lost count of the number of times I have been sitting around waiting for the promised 20 knots.

Luc
25-02-2007, 04:12 PM
When out this morning and it wasn't too bad until the wind went to the NE.

Great ride back to Scarborough with the SE swell and NE chop.

To cap it off, as I neared the harbour (3rd set of markers), three boats looked like they were having a race, full bore 3 in one line across the chanell and one idiot sitting on the bow sprit of an ally 1/2 cab.

I think I'll chase fish from Donybrook or the Pine next weekend.

Luc

BilgeBoy
25-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Obi Wan i bet you took those pictures in the stretch between Cleveland Point and Peel....Man I hate that bit of the bay. Can anyone tell me why this stretch is such a bath tub....waves coming from every direction??

The up side of the North is you are much closer to the action and have BIGGER fish all round. The Southern end (inside) is probably more limited. You really need to pick your spots.

Regards

BilgeBoy

Seahorse
26-02-2007, 08:21 PM
hey obi, i know the feeling. been out heaps times, got out around woody pt then just about get blown back, and when they say .7m must be halfway up bris river. i cannot remember the last time going out and it was less than stated. in fact does that ever happen?
more islands would be nice.
got to come good soon.

greg

Obi _ Wan
26-02-2007, 09:05 PM
BilgeBoy i have not seen that stretch of water but i would imagine that it would be caused by the tide going one way and the wind against it?

There's a patch of water off the South East corner of Bribie, that in the right conditions, ie; wind against tide, it stands up, very short, quite deep chop that is very very ordinary, just like a washing machine.

Another place i used to fish years ago was a wreck out of Port Stephens, a magic jewfish, snapper and cobia spot. We would go out in the afternoon and return at night around 10 or 11 PM. quite often we would get back to the entrance only to find a very dangerous sea, ( i have seen the water breaking right across the entrance there, not very often but it does happen) and we would have no choice but to shelter behind an island just outside and wait for the tide to change, then we would run in on a usually fairly flat sea.

Seahorse, mate you must get my feelings about the situation, hence this post. A month or so ago i run out of Clontarf, out to Woody Point had a flick in a confused chop, no fish so i ran up off Queens on to the rubble patches, still a confused sea but as the day got longer the conditions eased right off, my son and i managed to bag 9 snapper to 45cm's. A mate turned up and said he thought he would run out to the Beacons to chase LT'S and Mack's, we decided to keep chashing the snapper for a while. I'm glad i did as about half an hour after the mate took off we got a squall and a South Easter come through about 15 to 20 knots. I can say it was a slow trip back to Woody Point and then the ramp. When we got there we had only just got the boat on the trailer and the mate turned up all wet and had had enough, it seems he had just got out to where he was going and the front hit, reckons that in places he could see sand as he was coming back across the banks. Believe it or not this event was not forecast.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan.

dogsbody
26-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I find this weather forecast to be quite good you can sign up for free for 12mths and get txt weather forecasts for certain areas for each state.http://www.askhuey.com.au/index.php

Wind gusts can be up to 40% higher than the stated wind speed.

Dave.

Freeeedom
27-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Same old story again this morning. Was at the Clontarf ramp by 5.30 and already the wind was up. Could have launched there but thought 'Why bother?' and went back to Deep Water Bend and launched there instead. Fished the Dohle's Rocks area and later under the bridges (the wind actually eased a bit around 9.00am) for lots of bream and Moses Perch but no keepers. Checked on the prawns up the Pine but could only manage about half a kilo of greasies at 'Stinky Wall'. Nice morning in the river but shame about the wind again.
Cheers Freeeedom

insideout
27-02-2007, 01:37 PM
we here in hervey bay have a lot of wind against tide as soon as you get out the harbour! From the marina to the north of big woody is a true battle, and, is the worst part of your water travels around here, for fraser can usually protect you from most winds (cept west) , but to get to these spots can be a mission in strong se winds!!

Obi _ Wan
28-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Hamish73, Sorry mate, i missed acknowledging your reply.
If you want to fly your kite and can't get enough wind down Manly way i would suggest you move to Sandgate.
Every afternoon over the last two or three weeks, when i cross the Hornibrook on the way home, North to South, i see dozens of Kite surfers between Brighton and Sandgate. This afternoon there were only four that i could see, but then again the wind was out of the Northeast, even so they were going like the clappers. I would say that there were a lot still on the beach if thats what you could call it, still to go out as it was still quite early in the afternoon.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan.

Marlin_Mike
01-03-2007, 05:58 AM
even so they were going like the clappers. I would say that there were a lot still on the beach if thats what you could call it, still to go out as it was still quite early in the afternoon.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan.

I mean, really, who was it that actually timed a clapper???????????? I have never seen a clapper, so how do we know they actually go fast????????????????

Mike

Obi _ Wan
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Marlin_Mike, Never seen a clapper? i bet you have. A clapper is actually the tongue or striker of a bell.

The phrase, "Going like the clappers" has been around for many many years. The phrase is an idiom, a group of words whose meaning cannot be deduced from those of the individual words (eg. over the moon).
The dictionary states, clapper noun the tongue or striker of a bell. IDIOMS- like the clappers - very fast or hard.
So there you have it Mike, Very fast.
And if you really want to measure it, i would suggest you strap a GPS tracking device to a kite surfers head and monitor it.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan