PDA

View Full Version : happy moment remedy

seajay535
23-02-2007, 12:49 PM
i was reading in local paper today that a pro fisherman reckons that if you are stung spray crc or rp7 or the like straight onto the area and it will take the pain away instantly anyone else heard of this ?or maybe like to test this theory:o :o

sharkbaithoohaha
23-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I would definitely not want to try it.Once bitten twice shy.When I worked on the boat we would carry stingose and that wouldn't work.Hot water as hot as you can handle and after 5 min all gone.

snakecatcher
23-02-2007, 01:05 PM
never heard of that one - did start this thread last year about remedies for happy moments and using heat is definitely the way to go.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=61775&highlight=happy+moment

fisher28
23-02-2007, 02:39 PM
not sure about happy moments,but wd40,crc or aerostart seems to help for catfish,catfish eels and bullrouts,the quicker you get it on the better.doesnt stop the pain completly but seems to hold it at a bearable level,maybe its a mind game?

Cammy
23-02-2007, 07:01 PM
hey seajay535 did u happen to read that theory in the dave siddal fishing times, that has all the info of where catches are this week?, it has a nice cod on the cover. i get the review every week.

cam;)

Poodroo
23-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I never ever plan to get stung by a Happy moment but I believe it is quite an excrutiating pain. I also did a thread a while ago on pain inflicted by fish and the one remedy that came up often was to treat it by submersing the area affected into water that is as hot as you can stand it. Water should be tested with an unaffected area first however just because the area affected by the toxins looses sense of feeling and second to third degree burns may well be the result. The hot water actually breaks down the toxins apparently.

Poodroo

jim_bream
27-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Yup, the heat apparantly stretches the proteins in the venom to breaking point and then the protein dissapates. Thank goodness I never been touched by one of these babies... :-)
Mind you, the wifeys earbashing is like getting stung in the ear by a box jellyfish.
jimbo

BR65
28-02-2007, 04:53 PM
funny Jim Bream lol

mitch qld
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
jim, your spot on mate. the heat in the water sort of "cooks" the proteins in the poison, breaking it down and relieving the pain. Immersing the pain in hot water is the common antidote for a stonefish sting.

Cheers, Mitch.

tigermullet
01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Yup, the heat apparantly stretches the proteins in the venom to breaking point and then the protein dissapates. Thank goodness I never been touched by one of these babies... :-)
Mind you, the wifeys earbashing is like getting stung in the ear by a box jellyfish.
jimbo

LOL. Now I am trying to work out how to shove my ear in a pot of boiling water without burning too much else;D