PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy my first boat

BigMav
22-02-2007, 08:30 PM
G'day everyone, my first post here.

I've been looking around recently for an aluminium runabout about the 4.5m mark. Recently spotted a 15ft savage 1991 model hull with a reach through windscreen. It is powered by a 60hp mercury which is a Nov 02 model which has done about 40hrs. The engine fired up second time from cold and seemed to be running ok without any strange noises. The boat looks to be in pretty good nick with only a couple of small scratches underneath. It comes with all the safety gear and has a canopy aswell. He is asking $7900 for it. I'm in Townsville and there is very little to choose from up here. I'm going to take it to a local marine place to get the motor checked out. Apparently he hasn't used it in about a year apart from kicking it over every now and then and a recent service on the motor. It was sitting in his carport covered in bird shit so I tend to believe him. My question is does it sound like his asking a bit much for it?

BigMav
22-02-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/redmav/DSC00550.sized.jpghttp://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/redmav/DSC00551.sized.jpg

honda900
22-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Mav,

I sold a very similar boat in brisbane last year, but a 89 model, was in good condition, had it re-wired and new canopy for $5500. Just to give you an idea.

Regards
Honda

BilgeBoy
22-02-2007, 10:09 PM
BigMav

I just purchased a 2002 4.35 Alleycraft front steer fully kitted out. The guy was getting out of boating so he gave me everything. paid $9000

I am the son of a Scotsman so I would have said "Mate the best I can offer you is $5000". It costs you nothing to make an offer!!

Good luck with it.

BilgeBoy

BigMav
23-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Maybe it is worth going to Brisbane then. Everything up here costs more. The thing that I like most about this one is the motor is practically new.

nigelr
23-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Sounds overpriced to me, the hull is getting on a bit. What year is the trailer and what condition is it in? If the motor checked out ok, perhaps make him an offer of $6g. Have you checked prices on boatpoint and trading post to give yourself an indication of what similar rigs go for elsewhere?
If he's got 7.9 on it he's probably thinking take 7.5, but perhaps if you rocked up with 6g cash, you'd sway him. If I liked the rig but thought the price was a bit unreasonable, that would be my approach, he can only say no, an instant cash sale is sometimes very hard to refuse especially if it has been on the market for a while.
If there is a bit of demand locally, and he is aware of that fact, naturally your position would be weeker but as Bilge Boy stated, it costs nought to make an offer.
Very much worthwhile excercise checking the above web sites first but.
Cheers and good luck!

Reel Hard
23-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Big mav if that boat checks out at the marine shop ie: good motor good trailer and good hull, that is not going to cost to fix anything I would say 7500 would be good buying. No use coming to Brisbane as it will cost as much if not more and then you have to get it home.
Cheers

Kleyny
23-02-2007, 08:09 AM
the motor is probably worth around 4500 by itself.
from the photos the trailer and hull look in not bad nick. so I'd be thinking around the 7000 to 7500 is ok. but as others have said make an offer no harm in it. unless he get offended and tells you to disappear and not come back.

neil

No Fear
23-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey mate, I recently bought my first boat about 12 months ago and it took about 3 or 4 months to find what I wanted. In that time I learnt a few things about buying a boat (along with some good advice from Fil (Father in Law)) If your are asking around on here to find a price I reckon you need to do some more research and get out or on ebay and compare what you want. I think thats the best advice really, what do you actually want?? Once you know, you can compare the prices as there is heaps of those kind of tinnys around. Anyhow I wouldn't be to worried about a couple of scratches on the hull, that happens, you should be more into the donk thats on the back cos no matter what hull you have, it aint gunna get you back from 4 kms down the river. The thing i learnt about motors simply if they start from cold in the first couple of fires and they're clean, they're all good. You can always take em to a mechanic and have the rest fixed for cheap as. At least you know what you got then.
Personally I reckon its not a bad buy but as the previous people have said, just offer a deal you think is reasonable. Hey remember your boat is your pride and joy, if you want it, you get it, don;t rush into anything cos it will only end in tears.
Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll find what you want one way or another

dogsbody
23-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Just remember what boat stands for "Bring On Another Thousand". Good luck with your purchase.

Dave.

BigMav
24-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys for all your comments they are appreciated. I have been looking around Townsville now for some time and have got a pretty good feel for the market here. Problem is this type of boat sells pretty quickly up here so the demand is pretty high. Every marine shop I've been to have said that a second hand tinny in a runabout pretty much only lasts a couple of days. What has swayed me to this one is the late model motor which I think is important. If it costs me about 1k more to buy up here rather than in Brisbane then I guess I'll be happy with that with the cost to drive down and back, accommodation etc it wouldn't be worth it in the end. The motor is getting checked out on Tuesday and coincidentally at the same place it has been serviced, they had the owners name on record. If it all checks out ok I think I'll offer him perhaps 6.8 and come up to 7k cash and no more than that. Will let you know how it goes, wish me luck.