PDA

View Full Version : cheese for cod

cod.n.yellahunter
22-02-2007, 08:23 PM
i been onj a nother site having aread and i have noticed a lot of topics on cheese as bait for cod and been very sucessfull so i ask my site the same question have you caught any on cheese and wat size are we talkin really curius tahts all

cheers

scotty

bdowdy
22-02-2007, 08:46 PM
has been talked about before on here, yes it does catch fish, but studys said it was no good for fish being released. ???????????? who knows till they actually tell us its bad use it i suppose. cheers bdowdy

Luc
22-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Many years ago a bunch of us were doing a whitewater kayack trip down the /nymboida River and had to resort to catching fish for meals.

The cod seemed particularly partial to a nice chunk of kabana.

Luc

bdowdy
22-02-2007, 08:58 PM
hey luc i think you will find that eastern cod are protected and should not be caught or eaten, a local bloke got caught and was fined big time and lost his gear and boat.., wouldnt be advertising that you were eating them.. cheers bdowdy

cod.n.yellahunter
22-02-2007, 08:59 PM
hey bdowdy have you fished the mcintyre for any sucess for cod thanks for the info on the cheese thing as i said just curius

cheers

scotty

bdowdy
22-02-2007, 09:02 PM
no mate ask wamjam thats his local waterway. cheers bdowdy

Luc
22-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Mate this was some 30 years ago.

The alternative was going very hungry and yes the bass were very tasty.

Luc

bdowdy
22-02-2007, 09:07 PM
ok luc just making sure every tom dick and harry doesnt go eating these awesome fish, there to good to catch once and should be taken care of. cheers bdowdy..

reelman
23-02-2007, 01:44 PM
i been onj a nother site having aread and i have noticed a lot of topics on cheese as bait for cod and been very sucessfull so i ask my site the same question have you caught any on cheese and wat size are we talkin really curius tahts all

cheers

scotty
G'day yellahunter yes cheese is great for murray cod i always take it with me im from the murray and i have caught the same fish 2 -3 times weeks apart so i dont think it harms them aslong as you dont go over board i spose hope this answers ya Q

Argle
23-02-2007, 02:46 PM
While I havent used cheese before I have had success on Murray Cod using boiled eggs for bait!!! An old bloke I spoke to put me onto it, he reckoned the Cod thought they looked like Bardi Grubs. Amazing what those big garbage guts cod will eat.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

mike_l
23-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes Scott, I have also caught cod on a peeled hardboiled egg. The trick is getting it on the hook. Found easiest if you use a long shank hook, put it through the egg in reverse then tie the line onto the protruding eye of the hook.
Seems as though there might be a double attraction with the egg. Have lifted one out after about an hour to find it covered in shrimps, all hanging on like it was the best meal they ever tasted. Could be the cod thinks here's a tasty cocktail, egg'n'shrimps.
mike_l

StoneTheCrow
21-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I have also heard of cheese working as a good bait source for Cod but from what I have heard it is more the fact that the cheese becomes a giant ball of shrimp as the shrimp are attracted to the cheese. Lets face it not to many Cod would pass up a ball of shrimp as they would normally be not worth the effort to hunt.

rabbi
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know about cheese for cod bait, maybe add some nice crackers and a beer it might go down well. My Grandfather used to have a property on what is now the Copeton Dam Parkland and he used to go down to Sliding Rock on the Gwydir River by horseback, which was an arduous trip in those days, armed with cord lines, crude homemade hooks, boiled eggs(peeled) and a bag of salt. He reckoned that the shrimp would congregate on the egg and this would attract the cod. Anyway, it worked and salted cod fillets were a mainstay meal along with rabbit in those days. Cheers, Steve.

brian steele
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a good swop!!

how much cheese for how much cod?

BlitzBaga
06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
A cake of soap will do the same thing as cheese and boiled eggs, the shrimp form a large shrimp ball and that is what attracts the cod.

Cheers
Murray

codcatcha
10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Luc please don't talk about eating the Eastern Cod on the internet nmate because its a $10,000 fine per fish and I'm sure that the authorities wont see eat or go hungry as a reason for catching and eating them, and yes they are just as delicious as the Murry cod

clinker
14-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Get This guys

Yesterday afternoon, Location, Doolans bend Murry river just outa Howlang
Husband, wife and three rugrats camping for school holidays, wife going mad at husband for forgetting the worms. My mate and i Laughing and was about to give them some bait and she catches a 48 cm cod. What the heck, thought you had no bait, we dont, used some coon cheese from tonights BBQ.
tHIS IS DEAD SET TRUE GUYS, HAPPENED 13 April 07 at about 1600 hrs

Cheese 1
Worms 0
Yabbies 0
Shrimp 0
Lures 0

cheesebait
18-04-2007, 12:10 PM
i was fishing at doolans bend on the weekend and i cought 2 cod using cheese as bait one was 60cm long the other was 65cmhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon10.gif

wamjam
18-04-2007, 06:21 PM
My boss is from the Swanhill area and was telling me about this cheese yarn , so last time he went down ,him and his kids tried it ! by the time he had the second kids line baited and ready to chuck in the first one had a cod hooked up. I think this buggers the thrimp thing up. He used mozzarella and got six for the arvo. I'm not a bait fisho but this sounds like a good compromise between fish and human tucka.
wamjam

Truck
20-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep I agree it is not the actual cheese, kabana, egg or soap that actually catched the cod, just the fact that there is a lot of shrinps trying to get a free meal until a cod come along..... I have also heard shearers using bacon rind and old suasages for them (out St George way)

But the best bait for cod story I have ever heard is one from the old man. When he was about 10 years old (1960's) his older brother shot a galah plucked it and put it on a hook set overnight. Next morning he caught himself a 55lb cod......

rabbi
20-04-2007, 02:03 PM
No cheese but Way back when the junction of the severn and macintyre was privately owned, A mate and I went down there for a night and ran over a rabbit (accidently) and kept it for the shrimp bucket. Skinned it and had it in the bucket overnight with only a handfull of small shrimps to show for the effort the next day. Just about to pack up at 10am or so and I cut a leg of the bunny, put it on a 6/0 hook 5 feet under a float on a rod and reel outfit and chucked it into a rockhole in front of me and it lasted about 10 seconds before a 16lb cod ate it. I don't know if there is a pic of a bunny leg in the cod's "things to eat book" but it snavelled it up pretty quickly. An uncle of mine who used to live at Moree used to have a penchant for local birdlife as cod bait and Plague locusts when available. (or whatever got stuck in his car grill for that matter).