PDA

View Full Version : will insect repellant scare off fish?

reelman
22-02-2007, 10:06 AM
i somtimes wonder if its the mozzie spray that keeps the fish away or not i hate using the stuff but with barmah river fever and ross river + the other things they could infect you with i do . i have caught fish while using it but maybe that day it didnt get on me bait .

Ozwald
22-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I cant remember where I read it but I recall an article that said fish are tolerant of a widfe range of substances taht we might think would taint bait including fuel , but anything that contained DEET was a major repellent to them.
I'm sure other members will be able to provide you with a much better summary of the whys and wherefores
regards
Oz

gone_fishing
22-02-2007, 03:51 PM
i rekon it is a deterant to fish it deters me it smells quite bad but better than been biten
i have noticed once it starts to get dark and the aroguard comes out the fish turn off the bite i usally have a brake for a hour or so mosies only seem bad at dusk
but as ozwald said any thing that can contaminate bait is a issue to catching fish

Poodroo
22-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Answer is yes. After the thread I did about sunblocks affecting the catch rate I think we could put repellents in that same category. Best thing is to use Rid roll on and keep from getting it on the palms of the hands.

Poodroo

wrip109
22-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I won't allow it on my boat! Spray your legs etc before you get on the boat and keep away from my stuff!

Phil
:P

blu
22-02-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure?? I have been told tabacco also repells fish... I roll my own while i am fishing but still catch fish..

fishphile
23-02-2007, 12:55 AM
They don't seem to mind that Bushman stuff. If I ever feel the repellant is keeping the fish away I spray my hands with Aniseed Scent.

Dave.

reelman
23-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks all i was thingking on the same lines but was not sure / sorry fishphile but that bushman doesnt work it and the first time i used it me misses asked were id been she said i smell to good to have been fishin

Bigswell
24-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah bloody oath it will, give ya hands a wash and then rub some tuna oil or similar into your hands to get that fishy smell back lol

fishphile
24-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Never said I wore it fishin ;)

RUSSO
25-02-2007, 08:48 PM
YES
WHAT WE NEED IS SOMEONE TO COME UP WITH anaceed smelling SUN BLOCK.
THE FISH WILL LOVE IT AND NO SUNBURN.............

Jeremy87
25-02-2007, 09:44 PM
yes russo but then you'd smell like anaceed. Where i fish for jacks if you doen't use bushmans you'd die from blood loss, nothing else works, i fish with lures though so bait contamination isn't really an issue though i think it could make a difference in that respect. Call me supersticous but i doen't spray the lures with it though.