PDA

View Full Version : Where in CAIRNS ... HELP

Angha
22-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi
I am here in Cairns visiting with family. Just wondering if any members are from Cairns and would help out is advising me on some fishing spots.

I would like to take my family out for fishing and would be grateful if any one of you could kindly advise me on some land based fishing spots, we are staying in Lake Street in the City.

I have also seen some brochures about hiring boats, would they be any good. Any comments on charter on calm water.

Are there any Tackle shop around the city?

Family includes infants as well.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Angha

FNQCairns
22-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Angha, I live in Cairns although 99.9% of the time I try and fish a good distance away from the place. What sort of distance are you looking at? On the ocean side of the pier marketplace a person can fish the marina wall or they can try either of the two boat ramps in trinity inlet, one has a floaring pontoon.

Not that much further although heading north there is a jetty and a boatramp in the Barron river, then further again is the northern beaches with heaps of beach/s to throw a line also the Yorkeys marina 7-10 min and boatramp has a rock wall that a person can fish from, and around 15min north there is the palm cove jetty which is a nice spot but not very quiet .

Don't know if you have a hire car or not, there are heaps of spots just no many in Cairns as the 'money' has excluded fisho's.

Sorry cannot help with charters as I take no notice although the Fishing Cairns website has a few listed from memory.

Nowhere that I can think of has shelter (apart from under a tree on the beaches) but some areas do have covered BBQ and food tables just back from the beach (machams beach does I think), so keep that in mind.

cheers fnq

Ps forgot, there is erskines tackle shop more or less at he end of mulgrave RD as it meets the city streets and another heading north just before the Barron R bridge.

Angha
22-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi FNQ
Thank you very much for the information. I will be hiring a car Saturday and sunday might be the day to go out and try some fishing. Have been doing the touristy thingy continuing tomorrow as well. Nice place and friendly people you got here apart from the humidity ... but so far the weather has been very kind to us most of the time.

thanks again

Angha