PDA

View Full Version : Ball bearings

Sean
21-02-2007, 08:33 AM
I have always been led to believe the more BB in a spinning reel the better, however now I am looking at getting a new reel the Daiwa CY only has 4+1 but some of the cheaper reels like the daiwa Samuri have up to seven+1 BB. When you feel the two reels, obviously the CY is a better reel. Can someone help explain this to me. Thanks, Sean:D

Noelm
21-02-2007, 10:17 AM
sometimes a good quality bush can be better than a crap cheap bearing, not an explanation, but a simple fact.

Jeremy
21-02-2007, 10:25 AM
The number of bearings in a reel has nothing to do with the overall quality. Some manufacturer's would love you to believe it though.

Things like the material the body, spool, gears etc are constructed out of, design and quality of the engineering (clearances etc), number and type of drag washers etc etc have a much greater influence on the quality of the reel than the number of bearings.

Even more, not all bearings are the same - are they sealed? stainless?

Even price is only a rough guide to quality.

Jeremy

Tim_N
21-02-2007, 11:15 AM
The old ABU's like the 6000C were and still are a bushed reel. They have stood the test of time. They maybe not a smooth as a C3 or C4 type but they are very robust and take some killing. I'm with Jeremy on the component factor being more important.
Tim

Luc
21-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Definitely built quality.

I've got an ABU5500C and 3 Shakespeare Blue series (2400) that are all over 20 years old and still going great. Simplicity, built quality and regular maintenance are the keys.

I'd rather have 4 good bearings than a heap of cheap ones.

Luc

Feral
21-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Bushes dont rust, cheap bearings do!

Scalem
21-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Bushes dont rust, cheap bearings do!

Hmmm.... I bought replacement bearings which were supposed to be stainless, but still have to replace the line guide bearing on my 4 bearing Penn Applause eggbeater every once in a while. But a Shimano bait drifter 3500B I will buy 2nd hand ( long story) has 3 bearings but a bush on the line guide instead of a bearing.... There's truth in what you are saying Feral.

If you ever need to replace bearings, get your measurements and you can order on line @ http://www.smallparts.com.au/cgi-bin/store/product.pl?alpha=F=post#Fishing - Not meant to be free advertising for them, but a great help to those who need new bearings.

Scalem

Sean
22-02-2007, 06:11 AM
thanks guys, I can be at ease buying the dearer reel. Thanks Sean

rick k
22-02-2007, 10:22 PM
well, stuff it.

prepared a detailed and hopefully helpfull response, which has now disapppeared.

So be it.