PDA

View Full Version : What happens to the freight trains?

Poodroo
21-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Another thing I have pondered over the years after reading about how many people fish with lures who lock horns with the absolute freight trains and get that typical ZZZZZZZZZ..........SNAP. I have had it happen to me on numerous occasions and have seen it happen to my brother on several occasions as well. The thing I wonder is if there are so many unstoppables out there that take your lure (whether it is a hard body or SP) that I have never heard of or seen a fish caught with a lure in its mouth. Has anyone ever caught a fish with a lure? Out of all the fishermen and women out there surely it has happened? If not I wonder why not.

Poodroo

Noelm
21-02-2007, 07:09 AM
the hooks rust out reasonably quickly, though not as fast as the fishing shows tell you, or the fish can get rid of the lure as well when there is no line/pressure on it, just a few shakes of the head and it can dislodge a lure, and I have caught a Dolphin fish with a lure still in it's mouth, in fact the same lure that my fishing mate lost 5 minutes before, so I guess it does not hamper them too much.

Marlin_Mike
21-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I reckon there is a giant fish pool room somewhere.

The fish go there and get the lures removed, and have them hung round the wall. They then have a fish beer and tell stories between each other about how the useless human didnt catch them................:)

Mike

sunny
21-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I think if it's a small light rig, it falls out reasonably quickly, but if you use seriously heavy tackle you need to think about what you are doing if you get hammered often.

I can tell you what happened to one very lucky QLD groper we saw. We were diving off Combie Pt when we came across a pretty big groper that seemed to be staying in one spot. On looking at it closer, we found it was as thin as a skeleton and was actually stuck in one spot because it was hooked to a seriously heavy trace that had wrapped around a rock. One of the divers on board freed it and it swam away slowly. It was very weak, so its anybody's guess if it actually survived.

When I say heavy trace, I mean seriously heavy, the kind big gun shark fishers use. So the moral of the story is be a sportsman when you fish and use the lightest gear possible for your quarry. Not even big groper have much of a chance against plasticoated 3mm stainless cable.

themissus
21-02-2007, 11:57 AM
We were fishing in Ballina with "Archer" a while ago when he caught a nice flattie with a eco gear lure stuck in it's side. Fish was in good condition and so was the lure.
We ate the fish, Joe kept the lure, smiles all round!!
Cheers Kim.:)

roz
21-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Yep,

Ages ago I was fishing with Hookem_Herby at Bustard, he landed a mackeral that had a spoon similar to a halco, was attached to some trace and hook in the side of it's jaw.

The hardware had started to rust, and the fish was in very good condition. Herby kept the spoon as a memento.

I've also been spooled, every bit of line on my reel in under 20 seconds.

r.

Archer
21-02-2007, 02:45 PM
We were fishing in Ballina with "Archer" a while ago when he caught a nice flattie with a eco gear lure stuck in it's side. Fish was in good condition and so was the lure.
We ate the fish, Joe kept the lure, smiles all round!!
Cheers Kim.:)

Yea caught alot of fish on that SX40 too!;D

Poodroo
21-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I am surprised. Here I was thinking that there would hardly be anyone who has caught a fish with a lure still in its mouth. Have never heard of it personally. Well you all have answered that question and I can stop wondering about it. Thanks all.
Poodroo

supertinny
21-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Caught a 15 kg spanish that had a 4 inch spoon in its stomach. The spoon had started to corrode but the hook was still in perfect condition.

imnotoriginal
21-02-2007, 07:41 PM
There was a trevor swimming round under the tangalooma jetty a few years back with a feather hanging out of its mouth. Every year there's always at least one bream as well with a line of algae-covered fishing line trailing back from it's mouth. I tried targetting him last trip, but he's obviosuly wised up since.
Joel

marty+jojo
21-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm going out in the morning to catch a couple of freight trains!:)
Marty

Poodroo
22-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm going out in the morning to catch a couple of freight trains!:)
Marty

Good luck Marty. Hey if you catch anything in the bay can I please have some of my jigheads back? That's be lovely thanks! ;) ;D

Poodroo

marty+jojo
22-02-2007, 03:20 PM
fished the brisy river, got a few small squire and a 41cm cod..... no freight trains:(
Marty

Red_Nut
22-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I have caught an estuary cod with an old hook hanging out of an old wound near its gills. The hook only had a knot length of line attached. The wound must have been pretty old, you could see the scar tissue tears surrounding the hook.

The hook was still in good condition, with only a small amount of surfase rust on the shaft where it entered the fish's body. This was a bit of approx 20-30lb trace and a 4/0 hanging out of a 34cm cod!!

They go hard in Cooroomin Ck!! :)

Cheers.

Ed.

Roo
22-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I caught a jack that was a bit thin and had about 20cm of 30-40lb mono trailing from it's bum. Whatever he ate was still stuck in there. I gently pulled on the line to see if it would come out but it wouldn't budge and i didn't want to hurt the fish unnecessarily..........so I ate him....yumm.

Poodroo
22-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Lol orbyroo. When in doubt eat the poor sucker.;D Hey did you find out what was in its stomach? Be interested to know. ;)

Poodroo

sharkbaithoohaha
23-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Last month I was bitten off 5 times over 3 nights.I had the following night off,returning again the night after that and with a throw of my net got the small Bully about 2 1/2 foot long.The only reason it didn't get out was the fact that it had my five rigs in it's mouth that got caught in the net.From memory I think there was only 1 hook I threw away.

dogsbody
23-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Poodroo have'nt you heard go and fish the horizon as this is where all the freight trains go. ;D

Dave.