PDA

View Full Version : Whitsunday Islands - This weekend

QuintrexII
20-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi guys,

Easters not looking good for a holiday at this point - busy work period, so going up to Whitsundays on friday for a week.

Was last up there at christmas - go up 1-2 times a year. Had a ball chasing the macks around - as well as a couple of beautiful meals of Perch and emporer.

Has anyone got any reports of late - I believe the weather is crappy to say the least over the past week.:-/

Had some good sessions trolling east and west of Hook Island as well as through Soleway pass previously. with skirted lures doing most of the damage.

Any reports or a couple of general areas where you may have had some good sessions recently, or what bait/rigs are working well.

Thanks guys

We only keep what we eat that day, so just looking for a great week of sport fishing, with some omega fishy oils for the dinner table :D

madman1
21-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Cant wait for your report Quinnie,

The family and I are heading that way to live in a few weeks.

Let us know how you go.

QuintrexII
21-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Will do madman.

As I said, we go up 1-2 times a year - only for a week, so each time we get a little more experienced and the catches get a little bit biger and better.

Christmas was good, but we were in a 36 ft charter cruiser, and I had a hard time getting close to bait schools without scaring them off. It's a pity because there was bait balls busting the surface everywhere. You could look off the fly bridge and see 2-3 at a time.

But I've been reading reports on this site and in mags, so have a better idea about drifting into range etc.

Am going to be trying those Lively lure "Mac Baits" and will also be trying live bait for the first time ever - I've been told the reds love those Hussar.

So hopefully will haave a good report and some helpful tips for you on my return.

Cheers

upstart
21-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Mate. I live in Townsville and one of the lures which work really well up this way is the RMG Scorpion Crazy Deep 8m+. Give one of them a swim around the rocky ledges and drop offs. They catch everything that swims. Including Coral Trout.

QuintrexII
21-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Excellent - Thanks upstart - If I can get one at Airlie b & tackle I'll try it for sure.

I only get one-two weeks a year up there so I'll always try something that is recommended - especially by a local. It's a whole different playground up there.

Cheers mate - I'll post as I go - so look out for 1-2 posts over the next week and I'll let you know how I go - I'm keen to try some new poppers against those Mac bait Lures and see how they both go against the trusty old skirted lures.

It's fun to experiment !

QuintrexII
21-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Upstart & BobbyJ,

What do you find to be the best trolling speed - I'm chartering a boat so max speed is 9-10 knots.

Thanks

BobbyJ123
23-02-2007, 07:22 AM
G'day mate, 6-8 knots for mackerel and GTs.
Wet around the islands.
Today's radar reading.