PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm mad

blaze
19-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I think I may be a sucker for punishment, just order the dvd off Ausfish on how to build a rod. I have built a couple over the years (ruffies) and repaired quite a few, new tip eyes, new runners etc. I just had this mad idea over the past week or so that I would like to build that special rod (hav'nt even decided what type yet). Always wanted a loomis (dont know why as there are probable better rods out there).
So I suppose I am just warning all you rod builders, builders of fine art that I will be pestering you all unless of course the dvd waines my enthusiasm.
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
20-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Sounds like a FUN idea to me Blaze. Good luck with it once you decide on what you are going to build. I am like you only even more inexperienced. All I have done is replace guides and tips. My old faithful Wilson boat rod had a broken guide on it many years ago when my kids were around the 2 year old mark. I did a good job of replacing the guide and left the rod outside for it to dry and harden. Daughter came inside telling me her fingers were sticky not long after and yes you guessed it, she had the rod varnish all over her fingers which I quickly cleaned off and then checked on the rod. End result was one guide off centre. Oh well, it still caught fish.

Poodroo

dogsbody
20-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Blaze do it mate, theres nothing like being "Home built and hooked up". Don't rush it take the time to do it right.

Dave.

blaze
20-02-2007, 04:40 PM
see how I feel after the dvd arrives, also still undecided what rod I will build if it happens
cheers
blaze

clone trooper
20-02-2007, 05:02 PM
your not mad, I think there is a lot for us thinking of building our own ( me included) I have been looking at a lot of rods lately but none of them jump out at me and say " hey clone I'm your rod":-/ . I think I'm after those personal finishes you can create. have been looking those cross wraps and weaves Roz and others are into:D
cheers brad

blaze
20-02-2007, 05:26 PM
My major ploblem is I might have to get Roz to give me a truck load of patiance, Used and seen Roz's rods and they are magic.
cheers
blaze

PinHead
20-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree with ya blaze..you are mad..seek some professional help as soon as possible.

snelly1971
20-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with Pinhead....ya BLOODY MAD BLAZE....only joking Blaze.....i will let you do all the hard work learning how to build them....so you can show me....cheers...Best of Luck Big Fella

rob tranter
20-02-2007, 07:25 PM
RRRRRRRRRRRR Blaze,:)
Well I guess you re-glassed a stuffed boat :'( so after that building the od fish stick or two can't be that hard.::)
Built myself a beach rod a thousand years ago when I was going through depression.:( Proud as punch I was too.:D
The rod didn't last too long though maybe about five years or so.
I agree with you mick (Snelly what year?) when you've mastered the art (and it is) then build me a few.
Your not getting depressed are you Blaze?
By the way, speaking of Roz (who I'm yet to meet) have you had the heart to tell her that Ally's (excuse the spelling Mick) Tassie Cray may be a Match (your words I think) Roz's Chilli Mud Crab?;D
Any way mate good luck with it I thought of having a go recently so cured myself and went out and bought one.;D
Best of luck let me know how it works out
Rob8-)

blaze
07-03-2007, 08:49 PM
got my dvd, now I will have a look or 3 and dicide if I am decicated enough
cheers
blaze

Hardb8
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Do it m8.And as dogs body said "Patients is the key" I dibble and dabble,And I'm only a novice,But I really enjoy it.

There are some very fine builders here at Ausfish,And all seem very helpfull with questions asked.

I've only been visiting the Rod Building section recently,But I have been inspired by members work to drag out the rack.I have some great ideas for my next rod.It will probably take me six months to build in my spare time.But it will be worth it.

roz
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Blaze,

That's exactly how I started out, doing repairs etc the same as you.

You should have seen some of my earlier 'creations' bloody shockers, but that doesn't matter.

You will understand when you start catching fish on that 'special' rod you've built yourself.

I can't say enough good things about it, it's a great hobby that can easily develope into an obsession.

Now this is just an idea ATM, but if you want to bring a blank with you to the M&G in October we can get it built in an evening no problems..the butt section that is, then do the guides over the following few days a bit at a time or even sooner.

Trust me!

Don't be surprised if you get to catch a trout or three on it before you go back to Tassie. Just a thought.

r.