PDA

View Full Version : Stripping a Rod

jerson
19-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a 6 foot 6" boat rod rated to about 10kg - 15kg, one of the guides has broken & I've noticed rust on the feet of some of the remaining guides. I want to replace all the guides & reseal the rod.

What is the best solution to use to strip a rod back to the blank & what is the best way to remove the tip from the rod or is it better to leave the existing tip & rebind it.

This rod is very special to me & I would greatfull for any advice

Jerson.

Bearclaw
20-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Jerson what is your location.

Noelm
20-02-2007, 09:47 AM
only way is time and patience, start by trimming off the finish coat with maybe a single side razor blade or the like, you can cut the binding down one side and make it quicker, or just unbind the guides and chuck them away, you may be left with little "ridges" at the ends of the bidings were the epoxy finnished, just get a small utility knife (or the razor blade) and sort of "flick" them off, you are ready to start the rebuild process, or you can just take it to your local tackle store and they can do it for you, but it is all easy stuff, just take your time and be carefull with the sharp tools, easy to slip and give yourself a nasty cut! are you thinking of removing the grips and stuff??

dogsbody
20-02-2007, 03:18 PM
To remove the tip lightly heat it with a lighter and it should slip off. Do not over heat it or you will damage the blank. use 5 min araldite to glue tip as 24 hr glue will make it hard to get off if you need to do that down the track.

Dave.

cammac
20-02-2007, 09:28 PM
if the rod is that precious to you Id be thinking of letting a professional do the resto on it! theyll get it looking like new!

jerson
20-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Myles, i'm on the southside.
Noelm, are you saying to remove only the finish coat over the bindings, replace the guides & reseal over the existing coating. (No to grips)
Cammac, very precious but would like to try myself.
Dogsbody, thanks for the tip.

Jerson.

Bearclaw
21-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Jerson check your pm's