PDA

View Full Version : Could sunblock affect your catch rate?

Poodroo
19-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey there fellow Ausfish members, we all have gone out and enjoyed a day out fishing but it comes with responsibility to ones self and the kids if you take them along to make sure we remain sun smart and do the slip slop slap thing to avoid getting severely sunburned. Now what I have often wondered is if you slop the old suntan lotion on and get it all over your hands as we do would it affect the way the fish bite? Can they taste it on the bait? If so do they shy away from it? What are your thoughts? Some of those suntan lotions go on pretty thick and it seems that regardless of how much I try to wipe it off the smell remains as a lot of them are waterproof.

Regards,

Poodroo

zigfreed
19-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Poodroo

Often wondered this myself and i reckon it would put them off, only solution i have ever come up with is to get mum to put it on so it doesnt get on my hands.

Shane Boese
19-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Dam right it does. I all ways fill the boat the night before so as not to have petrol on my hands. As for sun block i use a home made block from oil and vinegar.

Regards
Shane Boese

gutzy
19-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I believe they have a very high sense of smell , rub a bit of the missus perfume on your hands , mine has it all over her and seems to catch more than me!;);D;D

Poodroo
19-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Dam right it does. I all ways fill the boat the night before so as not to have petrol on my hands. As for sun block i use a home made block from oil and vinegar.

Regards
Shane Boese

A home made sunblock? Does it give good protection Shane? You have my interest. ;)

Poodroo

Hamish73
19-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I'll take the 'no fish and no cancer' option thanks ;) But it's food for thought....

PinHead
19-02-2007, 06:31 PM
do fish have a sense of smell and taste ????
I reakon the only problem would be getting it in your eyes so that you cannot see as you fish

iank
19-02-2007, 06:32 PM
buy some aniseed soap to wash hands with after putting on the sunblock.
Cheers Ian

eotbmg
19-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Andrew
The ol' uncle and i never ever wear sunblock. It definately effects your catch rate, we just slip and slap and miss out on the slop. Seriously I reckon in 20 years we will have someone claiming that they have some sort of disease from all the cream that they put on over the years. Put on a really good hat and a long sleeved shirt and you will be ok.
Cheers
Ben

Poodroo
19-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Well Pinhead I guess fish can taste and smell sort of but personally I find nothing attractive about the smell of SP's yet the fish seem to like them. I have always thought that even the slightest hint of smell on the hands from sunblock would have to be a fish deterent. Up until Iank's suggestion on using the aniseed soap I have been very apprehensive about using soaps fearing they could polute the water but the aniseed soap might be the go maybe?

Ben if you have seen the photos when I go fishing I usually do wear a hat, long sleeved shirt etc but I always seem to burn on the face and ears if I don't use a sunblock. I thought this might be a good way to get ideas on how not to burn and not lessen my chances of catching fish. Keep the ideas coming.

Regards,

Poodroo

Frank OO
19-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey Poodroo,

The last time you and I went out, you and Brian were the only ones that used Sunblock.

Now I ask you. " Does Sunblock affect your catch rate?"

Frank OO

Frank OO
19-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Put on a really good hat and a long sleeved shirt and you will be ok.
Cheers
Ben

And although they look Poofy- some fingerless gloves.

Frank OO

Luc
19-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Nothing wrong about fingerless gloves. Always wear them out in the boat.

A few years down the track, you'd get more strange looks from missing bits due to cancer.

Luc

Poodroo
19-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey Poodroo,

The last time you and I went out, you and Brian were the only ones that used Sunblock.

Now I ask you. " Does Sunblock affect your catch rate?"

Frank OO

G'day Frank OO and welcome back from your trip away. Now that is a tough question. I'd like to think that the results from our last trip were because of technique and insuperior gear. ::) But possibly the sunblock may have also contributed to it. I am going to buy a dicky sombrero and look stupid next time and try without sunblock. :P

Poodroo

Scalem
19-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Ah Frankoo,

I am still looking for excuses why I didn't catch fish like you did, a noble gesture indeed to try and help me. But whenever I apply the screen, I try and use the back of my hands and knuckles to smear it over my face and parts of skin not covered by LS shirt and hat.

Whenever I am not doing an overnighter ( like at your place so we can get up early without the drive over) I put the suncream on as I get out of the pyjamas and into my fishing clothes - then wash my hands thoroughly. I'll give you a hint Poodroo, this method is far better than waiting till you start noticing the Sun is getting a little savage before putting the screen on;) ;) ;D ;D

Scalem

Slime
19-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys. I always put sunscreen on before I leave home and scrub it all off my hands before I go out fishing.;) I think that with fishing it is not one thing that makes the difference between catching fish and not, but a combination of small things that improve your catch rate. I think I catch more fish without sunscreen on my hands. The biggest problem is when it is time to reapply it later in the day!:o

Slime

samson
19-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Its a worry but i don't seem to have any problems if i use the roll on sunscrean or sticks it keeps off your hands altogether just needs to be applied more often.

Forrester
19-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Poodroo,
Everything I have read indicates you are correct. I am told banana is a sure fire way to kill off your bites as fish apparently don't like it. Oranges are another. Can't say I've tested it out at all.
Use cheap plastic gloves when eating lunch, helps get rid of the bait taste anyway.
Cheers
Roy

Frank OO
19-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Poodroo,

Ten reasons why fish can smell sunblock

Frank OO
19-02-2007, 08:39 PM
next four reasons

Frank OO
19-02-2007, 08:40 PM
The last two and one more in case you are not sure

3rd degree
19-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Poodroo,

I reckon there's no doubt, it sure does affect your catch rate.

I have found that if applying it out on the water, use a handful of wet sand as if it were soap and it cleans it of pretty well.

Cheers

Jim

Oh Gee
19-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Once had the idea of trying to mix a sunblock with a fish attracting smell. But then thought what happens if you fell overboard and then the theme music from jaws rang in my ears...lol

BilgeBoy
19-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Shane

You got it wrong mate....that was for cooking the fish...not you. Easy mistake I guess.

BilgeBoy

NAGG
19-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I have no doubt that sun block / insect stuff affects catch rates ....... I now only use sprays or will use a disposable glove to apply sunblock ..... While it sounds silly ... I've watched fish turn away from baits (when bug / sunblock has been used) >>>.. I've out fished others when I'Ve been conscience of the problem & others in the group have not! ...... I'll even rub pilchards between my handsif i feel I've been contaminated:o NAGG

theonethatgotaway
19-02-2007, 09:39 PM
apply sunscreen with gloves:P

Obi _ Wan
19-02-2007, 09:45 PM
G'Day Poodroo,
Mate i only use sunscreen when i really have too, wear a big hat long sleeved sun shirt and long sun pants. The biggest problem is the refection off the water, my beard also helps so i only have to put it on my nose, cheeks, ears and forehead. I only use two fingers, when i have finished i wash and wash and wash in sea water then wipe with a smelly old bait rag which smells like a bag of rotten pillies.
I believe that fish do have a sense of smell, hence all the burley trails we use and also a taste, as you would be aware fish will some times ignore perfectly good bait and only bite freely on a certain offering.

Another put off for fish is citrus fruits, oranges etc, you peel one of those and smell your hands, very potent, hence no citrus fruit is taken out on my boat.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan

SeaSaw
19-02-2007, 09:52 PM
The only reason I have soap on the boat is to wash sunscreen off my hands. Once my hands are washed, I do the same as NAGG and mush up a pillie and squash it into my hands real well to make sure there is no soap smell left. Works well and it creates some extra burley and adds flavor to the sangas ;D

sarg
19-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I scrub my hands in sand as 3rd D. said when you launch the boat and if I have bait on board use that and if not a bit of GULP juice out of the pack works well. I also had a little tub of scent i think was YUM brand maybe? got it from sundown marine and it was for scenting your hands after mozzie repelant or sunscreen probably the easiest if you can find it.

Andrew

Poodroo
20-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like sunblock is definitely a deterent for the fish and there are some very good ideas as per usual coming from everyone here. I will continue to slop on the sunscreen I think but will be more clever and put it on before I leave home and then wash the hands thoroughly.

Regards,

Poodroo

keepitreel
20-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Banana Boat make a sunscreen in a spray bottle. It works well but is a little expensive. Not sure if this counts towards the 'No bananas on board' rule!!

rob tranter
20-02-2007, 09:35 AM
In my book Sun Block is a deffinite deterent for the fish. As said by Scalem I also use the back of my hands (desended from the apes). As for large hats, well that protects the top of your bean, the sun burn on the face comes from reflection off the water. So use sun block there as well.
Being the fair skinned red headed aussie that I am, somehow I seem to forget more often than not to put it on.
Rob

Nic
20-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I just use Handsfree Sunscreen, it has a sponge applicator so you don't get any sunscreen on your fingers. Better than rubbing the hands with Gulp! juice or squashed pillies I reckon, but each to their own...

mickstar001
20-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Definately makes a difference, wearing gloves is a great idea! Would prefer a few less fish in the esky than cancer though!

Mickstar

Dirtysanchez
20-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah, those cheap disposable gloves you can buy from Chemists etc are the go, or those 1st aid stands you sometimes see in bigger shopping centres.. put the gloves on, put the sunblock on, bob is your uncle !!

Pain in the butt but better than melanomas :)

VIRGIN
20-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes it does and the simple answer is use roll on sunscreen!
Cheers

Reef_fisher
20-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Long shirt, fingerless gloves, long shorts or short longs, crocs, stops top of feet getting burnt, frill neck hat aussie made and you can use velcro strips to completly shut of everything but your eyes and sunnies. Don't have to use lotions or potions, hasn't improved my catch rate though. Ha Ha.

gone_fishing
20-02-2007, 04:16 PM
hi all just reading this post
being fair skinned i always were long pants and shirts and a hat to the constent querries of others
but i must concragulate every one on their attitde to skin protection and attempts to rectify a prob not just ignore it as a couple of years ago this topic would of been much different
fishers leading the way good work everyone
i use sunscreen and apply from bottom to top reflective rays are the worsst then use sand and water to scrub the pallms of my hands
i dont know if this makes a difference to my catch never not used sunscreen

Scalem
21-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Definately makes a difference, wearing gloves is a great idea! Would prefer a few less fish in the esky than cancer though!

Mickstar

Geez Mickstar,

I think it's a great idea too, but you better warn all those in the boat exactly why you are putting rubber gloves on. ::) :o :o ;D ;D

Scalem

Redspeckle
22-02-2007, 09:37 PM
When I am fishing I always think about my hands where they have been
I woulnd't like the have to eat a steak the smell and tasted like sun screen so in turn fish won't really touch you bait same thing
After I apply sunscreen I rub my hands together in the nice stinky burley to get rid of the sunblock smell or wash my hand with environmental friendly detergent

Always fuel boat up night before the trip or after days fishing
and for Bananas on the boat I aways catch fish must be an fishing & boating myth ::)

Mitch

rick k
22-02-2007, 10:06 PM
we went to Karumba back in the early 90s. The bloke who caught the most fish bought his outfit there, smoked, and used heaps of sunscreen and tropical strength aeroguard.

Go figure

No fish is worth cancer from my point of view

Aquarius
22-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Sun stick for the face and roll on for arms, legs etc. (30+)
Works for me but you should use frequently during the hotest part of the day.
Cheers Brent.

Mattg68
22-02-2007, 10:48 PM
well everything (& everyone) points to it being the case, in fact I read an article in Bush N Beach about said subject & yes,yes,yes was the answer - SUNBLOCK NO GOOD on bait. Disposable gloves sound like the go. The article even talked about no sunblock on hands & just the 'human' smell on bait. Fish do communicate with each other & once a fish has been traumatised with being hooked & released or managed to unhook itself it remembers the human smell on the bait & is 'suss' next time around & relays this onto other fish (apparently). Remember not only are they predators but most are prey themselves therefore survival is their nature. Washing your hands & handling some sacraficial bait before is good.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Shane Boese
23-02-2007, 07:25 AM
A home made sunblock? Does it give good protection Shane? You have my interest. ;)

Poodroo

Poodroo

Mate got no sun spots yet so cant be doing me harm.

Regards
Shane

Shane Boese
23-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey Shane

You got it wrong mate....that was for cooking the fish...not you. Easy mistake I guess.

BilgeBoy

Good one Bilgeboy i like that. Mate it is good stuff. My uncle told me about it years ago and have used the receipe ever since.

Regards
Shane

Sea-Dog
23-02-2007, 08:04 AM

Regards
Shane

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

I have read a similar saying, quoting someone's grandpa.
- "With patience and perseverance, you can stretch a fly's bum over a bucket"

Sea-Dog

Kleyny
23-02-2007, 08:27 AM
the clinical rubber gloves thing is a good idea.

it will definitely scare my decky when i put them on.;D ;D ;D

nothing like a quick "safety check before we leave port":P :P ;D ;D

i keep getting my knees burnt so i'm getting my better half to make me some quick dry pants with extra pockets.

neil

JoeQ
11-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Hey Poodroo

Often wondered this myself and i reckon it would put them off, only solution i have ever come up with is to get mum to put it on so it doesnt get on my hands.
i think anly lowson thats not fish baste wold put them off the bite
cheers

Mrs Ronnie H
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Poodroo
Just read this thread with much interest. I used to fish for trout alot and one of the things I was always told was they could smell you on the lure or bait. We used to rub our hands in the mud before we started fishing which apparently took the smell off your hands. Seemed to work as most times we went home with a good catch.
Saltwater fishing your hands always end up smelling like the bait you use anyway so i don't bother doing anything special other than washing my hands if I use mossie spray or sunscreen.
Take the smell of bait off your hands. One green tomato or lemon juice works well.

Ronnie

Poodroo
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Poodroo
Just read this thread with much interest. I used to fish for trout alot and one of the things I was always told was they could smell you on the lure or bait. We used to rub our hands in the mud before we started fishing which apparently took the smell off your hands. Seemed to work as most times we went home with a good catch.
Saltwater fishing your hands always end up smelling like the bait you use anyway so i don't bother doing anything special other than washing my hands if I use mossie spray or sunscreen.
Take the smell of bait off your hands. One green tomato or lemon juice works well.

Ronnie

Glad the thread was of interest to you Ronnie. At the time I had no idea there'd be so much interest but I am glad I posted it because there has been a lot of great reading by my fellow members as a result. Once again I thank all who contibuted to the thread. Glad to be a member! :)

Poodroo

sea raider
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Only place I put sunscreen on is my face and legs. After application I wash my hands thouroughly with soap which is specially formulated for sea water, get a single pilly, squish it between my hands, rinse off my hands, then put on my fingerless gloves. I always wear a long sleeve shirt and recently bought a shimano brand shirt specially for fishing and it's better than a normal shirt as its got lots of pockets and doesnt get as hot as a normal shirt. I then top that off with a cap while in transit and a big wide brimmed hat when stopped and fishing.

Cheers

Geoff

wheelerdog
14-03-2007, 01:00 PM
a friend of mine stores his cream and insect spray in with his tackle, sprays the stuff all over him smears cream everywhere then sits in the front of the boat and still catchs fish.::)

go figure.

i wipe the cream on with the back of my hand, but no matter how hot it is i wear a "flippa hat" long sleeave shirt and long shorts.

the sun up here is frightening, no way would i go out relying on a home remedy either.:o

dagwood
14-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I have been using chemical based sunscreens most of my life and if you could see me you would have to wonder what does the most damage ..the sun or the petro chemicals in most sunscreens. Also when fishing would ensure I washed my hands as I am pretty positive fish would notice the residue left on bait or lures. I now use a completely natural sunscreen based on natural oils and don't bother washing my hands and never get burnt. Still wear the hat and sunnies though. For those that are wondering I am involved in distributing this sunscreen now but do not intend this post as an add. For those who are interested take one of those chemical sunscreens and pour a bit on a piece of styrene and let it sit for a while. It might surprise you with the result.

Regards Dagwood

Mrs Ronnie H
15-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Only place I put sunscreen on is my face and legs. After application I wash my hands thouroughly with soap which is specially formulated for sea water, get a single pilly, squish it between my hands, rinse off my hands, then put on my fingerless gloves. I always wear a long sleeve shirt and recently bought a shimano brand shirt specially for fishing and it's better than a normal shirt as its got lots of pockets and doesnt get as hot as a normal shirt. I then top that off with a cap while in transit and a big wide brimmed hat when stopped and fishing.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff
Nice to hear that you cover up as well as put on sunscreen. We both do the same thing. Recently bought the other half a shirt from Ausfish. The pack with stickers, hat etc.
He loves it. It's hard to explain but has a mesh underlay which allows the air to circulate. Also has tabs on sleeves so you can roll them up to where you want them and they don't come down. A little on the expensive side but worth it.

Wide brimmed hats also. We must both look like a couple of hill billies but thats the price you pay to avoid sunburn and sunstroke.?!!!!!

Cheers
Ronnie

kingtin
15-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Ben if you have seen the photos when I go fishing I usually do wear a hat, long sleeved shirt etc but I always seem to burn on the face and ears if I don't use a sunblock. I thought this might be a good way to get ideas on how not to burn and not lessen my chances of catching fish. Keep the ideas coming.

Regards,

Poodroo

I get the deckie to put it on me................that way she has no chance of outfishing me ;D

kev

Tinn
15-03-2007, 09:50 AM
If you think about it, it probably helps you catch fish as it acts like tuna oil. Even better they should have tuna oil flavoured sunscreen. You couldn't go wrong then except if you went for a swim and Mr sharky came along

Poodroo
15-03-2007, 07:11 PM
If you think about it, it probably helps you catch fish as it acts like tuna oil. Even better they should have tuna oil flavoured sunscreen. You couldn't go wrong then except if you went for a swim and Mr sharky came along

Could be onto a good money making venture there Tinn. Most fishermen and women end up smelling like fish by the end of the day so why not get a sunscreen that already makes us smell like mullet gut or chicken gut? ;D LMAO
Might be a top seller! Could have all different fishing scents perhaps? "Um I do believe I might go the pilchard scent today!!" ::)

Poodroo