PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Charter Business??

keepitreel
19-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Guys, It has been a goal of mine for many years to start a Charter business.
I am after any info you guys can provide regarding the setting up of such a business.
I am looking at a small operation with me as the skipper and maybe a deckhand.
I would like to keep it to around 4-5 anglers on board to get that personalised feel about the charter, not 20 people and some handlines!
It would be in North Queensland targeting reef fish.
I am wondering what sort of boat and what regulations govern size and info about the boat being in survey.
Also any info about licenses required.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

PinHead
19-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I would be searching the Qld Govt website for the relevant info.

Blackened
19-02-2007, 05:43 PM
G'day

First of all you will need at least a coxwains ticket and the relevant or the area.

I think the government website for setting up a business is smart lisence.

Google that and it should be step by step from there.

You will need to look for a boat in survey, appropriate gear and then some, an appropriate deckhand, promotion, insurance, pricing and the most imoportant, customer satisaction. There is a multitude of other business start up costs, but hey, have a crack;)

Dave

hungry6
19-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Go to your local council and ask to meet or make an appointment with your local developement officer, and have him do the leg works for you, they are public servants and so they should work, on a serious note, he'll be the person that'll point u in the right direction in regards to permits and access to areas that is normally out of bound,"tourism" get a special, when u mention foreign visit with a fistful of cah.

seatime
19-02-2007, 08:09 PM
G'day keepitreel

First off mate, do you have a commercial ticket like a Coxswain's or Master V, restricted or otherwise? You'll need one of those. Your ticket will determine what size of boat you can operate, and how far from land you can operate.
This industry is regulated by Queensland state government departments when operating in state waters, which by the sound of it, you will be.
Maritme Safety Qld, which is the marine agency of Qld Transport, oversees things like seagoing qualifications, registration, licencing and survey requirements.
The survey certificate for your vessel will determine how many passengers you can carry, and again how far from land you can go. Vessels under 6m come under Qld regulations, over 6m are under the USL Code (Uniform Shipping Laws, which are national standards). Vessel surveys are generally carried out by private co's and submitted for approval. Purchasing an "in survey" boat is an option, but then, why are they selling it?
If you want to fish in areas that are in a Marine Park, you'll need a Marine Park Permit, get them from Qld Parks and Wildlife Service, QPWS.
Best advise, talk to some existing operators, don't give too much away, and get a few opinions. Then contact the relevant gov't departments for their advise.
Any other Q's, fire away.

regards
Steve

Fat Chilli
19-02-2007, 10:50 PM
I went out on "Fishing the Tropics" in Cairns last week, they are a similar sized operation to what you wish to achieve. Look them up, maybe give them a call or go out with them.

http://www.fishingthetropics.com.au/

Good luck.

keepitreel
20-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have been awake all night reading!!

I don't have a coxswains so it looks like I would need to be the deckie for a while to gain the sea hours which would mean employing a skipper.

I operate a business at present so know all about marketing and the set up costs. they always cost more than you budget!

Would I need to get a boat built to survey or is it ok to use something like a Fisher and do the appropiate mods?

Cheers .

seatime
20-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Would I need to get a boat built to survey or is it ok to use something like a Fisher and do the appropiate mods?

Cheers .

IMO it would be easier to get one built to survey, than modifying a boat yourself to get it into survey. It can be done, I know a boat where the mods where done successfully, and it was approved. It was an under 5m open dinghy however.
There's a lot involved in survey, maybe have a chat to a local private surveyor.
Having a boat built to survey may take 8-10 months ??? depending on size, constuction material, and the builder's current workload.
There's a few "in survey" on Boatpoint atm, maybe the business went bust, or their upgrading ???. Cats seem to be favored for the fishing charters, more stable with clients moving around when the boat's at rest, and they handle the 2ft chop with ease :D

cheers

johnlikes2fish
20-02-2007, 12:25 PM
From the experience of a friend who had a charter on the sunshine coast he offers this advice, withdraw $5000 form the bank bundle it into 5 $1000 bundles and then every day it rains sit inside and burn a bundle of the notes if you can do this for five days then you are ready to run a fishing charter business.;D

Mod11
20-02-2007, 03:53 PM
You are kidding !!!

As you are well aware of the numerous new bag limits, size limits, green zones, commercial licence buybacks, sustainability problems, global warming, fish stock depletions and many, many more issues regarding the vunerability of the rec fishos hobby and the pro fishos livelyhood. You still want to start a business where you take and do not put back. >:( >:( >:(

You want to take money from people and use that profit to pay off the mortgage, buy new cars and various other self-interest exercises.. How much of that profit do you intend to put back into fish re- stocking, breeding, research and development , ??

If, like the rest of the charter industry.......nuffin , then my advice to look elsewhere for a business that will be rewarding in more ways than $'s. !!!

Sorry for charging in head first and hard, but it is only my opinion.

chilli

mick.RMG
20-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi keepitreel,

I think you should be having a go myself. I'm half way through my Coxswains ticket at the moment, you'll need 90 days sea time for a restricted ticket and 360 days for an open ticket. A restricted ticket only allows you to go within 15 miles of the coast, an open is access all areas past that.

I can see Chilli's point but most of the guides around my area try to encourage people to look atfer the fishery and practice what they preach. I hope to be a Barra guide in the next two years catching heaps but showing people why we should look after what we have. Best of luck mate, and let us know how you get on. I might come up for a Charter!!.

MickRMG.

PinHead
20-02-2007, 04:46 PM
You are kidding !!!

As you are well aware of the numerous new bag limits, size limits, green zones, commercial licence buybacks, sustainability problems, global warming, fish stock depletions and many, many more issues regarding the vunerability of the rec fishos hobby and the pro fishos livelyhood. You still want to start a business where you take and do not put back. >:( >:( >:(

You want to take money from people and use that profit to pay off the mortgage, buy new cars and various other self-interest exercises.. How much of that profit do you intend to put back into fish re- stocking, breeding, research and development , ??

If, like the rest of the charter industry.......nuffin , then my advice to look elsewhere for a business that will be rewarding in more ways than $'s. !!!

chilli

wow..kick the bloke in the guts why don't ya...maybe he should sit around on the dole. May I ask what rec fishos put back?????usual answer would also be nothing...BUT...research etc is normally done by Govt agencies...where do they get the money form..taxpaters..and what is a charter operator..a tax payer.

If that is what you want to do then go for it and become a charter operator...don't let the knockers stop you.

Blackened
20-02-2007, 05:21 PM
You are kidding !!!

chilli

G'day

Chilli, you disgust me and that is only my opinion.

Jeep IT Real, Use the wisdom of chilli to spur your dream on faster and to go further. Peole like that are everywhere, Best of luck with your project.

Dave

Mod11
20-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry, what was it about " taking peoples money for PROFIT from the ocean " that you didn't understand ?

The line you have drawn between a rec fisho and the charter operator is Fractured.

A Charter operator IS a tax payer, BUT, the money he pays tax on comes from a resource that he does nothing to sustain.

again, IMO.

chilli

snelly1971
20-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Keepitree....I am currently in the process myself of starting up my own charter business......I have got a full coxwain....and appropriate tickets...but the dearest thing is insurance......$7000-$8000 ...Marine and safety is you best place to start...they will tell you the requirements that yourself....and the boat will need...The Guys at Finlease are also helpful...they have a downloadable charter business spreadsheet to see if things are viable...I am not sure if state to state is different...but here in Tassie you have to a workplace dafety procedure booklet for Marine and safety as well...Cheers Mick.....Best of Luck..

Stubbie Holder
20-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey Chilli,
I gather from your comments that you only ever release fish in good condition and don't even bother with a cooler when you fish, or you freely give of your own time to assist in fish restocking programs.
Otherwise you simply take take take without giving anything back just for your own benefit.
Let us all know which one it is because personally I admit to catching fish just for my own pleasure, but do not feel the need to criticize someone else's dream.

Stubbie

Custaro
20-02-2007, 06:04 PM
chilli, i have read your post a few times and you make absolutely no sense. your way too radical. i hope you make all your own clothes grown from the cotton you planted down the back, or from wool off the sheep tied up out front, pump your own crude oil from the well under the house and refine it in the kitchen you built yourself from the timber you milled etc etc. cause surely you wouldn't want to pay anyone any money for a product.....because they might make a profit.

a charter is a product or service. and 99% of rec anglers don't put back. they just keep tackle stores and manufacturers in business. most of us have a heap of fun doing it too. give it a go some time.

PinHead
20-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, what was it about " taking peoples money for PROFIT from the ocean " that you didn't understand ?

The line you have drawn between a rec fisho and the charter operator is Fractured.

A Charter operator IS a tax payer, BUT, the money he pays tax on comes from a resource that he does nothing to sustain.

again, IMO.

chilli

chilli..what is it that you don't understand...operating a charter business is a legitimate business...the fish that rec fishos take is is also from a resource that rec fishos do nothing to sustain...nothing fractured about that.

Some people seem to think that the only poeple that should be on the water are rec fishos..no charters...no jet skis..no pros etc etc..nothing but rec fishos...seems like a lot of tunnel vision.

snelly1971
20-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Pinhead has it right...Tunnel Vision !!!!!!......Chilli...get a grip ??????????

seatime
20-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, good luck keepitreel, hope your clients catch plenty of fish, those rec fisho hobbyists, tax paying, mortgage paying clients, that is!!! ;)

Don't worry mate, you'll put plenty back into the local communities thru, fuel, maintenance, repairs, and bait & tackle purchases. Not to mention the tourism that will be attracted to those communities, and everybody's taxes will go towards research, re-stocking, etc.

chilli, that's the first time I've heard mortgage repayments called an exercise in self interest, what a silly chilli ::)

Mod11
20-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, I have tunnel Vision and I can see quite clearly what is at the end of this tunnel, can’t you ?

In addition to my opinion…….. jeez it’s only an opinion, and if that opinion ‘ disgusts you “, imagine if I had a factual point ?

The way I see it is, by your own admissions and understanding, the resource in question is un-sustainable and in decline. The Government acknowledge this by way of ever-changing legislation and ever-increasing restrictions placed upon Commercial Operators and Recreational Fishers. These changes are brought about by consultation with these groups as well as others including research scientists, green groups etc.

I cannot see why a Government would allow or encourage another Commercial participant in this resource given the facts. IF, the Government are willing to accept that the resource is capable of sustaining further profiteering, then by all means go for it.

Given the facts surrounding the resource, would one be inclined to enter into an industry that is uncertain by way of continous change in legislation, a finite resource, weather dependant, tightly regulated and financially vunerable.

There can be NO line drawn between a Commercial Operator and a Recreation Fisher.

One should never cast aspersions on the validity of anothers efforts, unless one is certain of the circumstances.

As a person that loves fishing, I would never see myself placing that interest at risk by way of making money from the finite resource. Simply an opinion. And for those that still don't get it.......it's only an opinion.

chilli

PinHead
20-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes, I have tunnel Vision and I can see quite clearly what is at the end of this tunnel, can’t you ? Please tell me what is at the end of the tunnel ??

In addition to my opinion…….. jeez it’s only an opinion, and if that opinion ‘ disgusts you “, imagine if I had a factual point ?

The way I see it is, by your own admissions and understanding, the resource in question is un-sustainable and in decline. The Government acknowledge this by way of ever-changing legislation and ever-increasing restrictions placed upon Commercial Operators and Recreational Fishers. These changes are brought about by consultation with these groups as well as others including research scientists, green groups etc.

I cannot see why a Government would allow or encourage another Commercial participant in this resource given the facts. IF, the Government are willing to accept that the resource is capable of sustaining further profiteering, then by all means go for it.

Given the facts surrounding the resource, would one be inclined to enter into an industry that is uncertain by way of continous change in legislation, a finite resource, weather dependant, tightly regulated and financially vunerable.

There can be NO line drawn between a Commercial Operator and a Recreation Fisher. Why not..what is the deifference between a charter boat taking out 10 rec fishos on board and 10 rec fishos in their own boats ?

One should never cast aspersions on the validity of anothers efforts, unless one is certain of the circumstances.

As a person that loves fishing, I would never see myself placing that interest at risk by way of making money from the finite resource. You just take from it anyway...acording to oyur opinion it is a resource that is in peril, if so why do you take from it ? Simply an opinion. And for those that still don't get it.......it's only an opinion.

chilli

If a bloke wants to take the punt..put his dollars into starting a business..good luck to him cos it takes a lot of money and a lot of work to make a go of it...equipment, licences, insurances, etc etc...I know I have sunk over 100k into my business and countless hours. Most primary industries take from a finite resource and put little or nothing back...coal, building industry and many more...yet the fish do breed and that is why the Govt has size and bag limits..to keep it sustainable.

hooknose
20-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Must be a green chilli, what do ya reckon. Good luck to you keepitreel there is always some prat ready to bung crap on someone without knowing squat about you or what your beliefs/ ethics are regarding fishing.

Good luck and stay optimistic !!

disorderly
20-02-2007, 09:04 PM
chilli,hopefully you'll have the realisation that you are wasting precious oxygen and desist.
keepitreel,There are many obstacles to overcome to start such a business and this is all part of the challenge of making a go of it.
When my missus and I first moved permanantly to FNQ(about 11 yrs ago),it was a job on the dive charter boats we were after.Me being a divemaster,her an instructor.
Boy what an eyeopener!She ended up working for both boats out of the beach here.The biggest obstacle of all is the one factor that you have absolutely no control over.....The Weather.
Ended up to have a chance at saving money for a land deposit,we both started working bananas.Even on a minimum wage it was more money than her sometimes spending a week or more at a time unable to get to the reef.
Its an admirable ambition mate,but make sure you have a plan B .

Good luck
cheers Scott

Fat Chilli
20-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Pinhead has it right...Tunnel Vision !!!!!!......Chilli...get a grip ??????????

I'd suggest he release his grip, it seems to be too firm. :stare: .

I hope other Chilli's don't get a bad name out of this ;D

Mod11
21-02-2007, 06:54 AM
You really don't know the difference between 10 rec fishos in their own boats and 10 on a charter ? mmmmmm !!!! Tunaman could even answer that one !

I have nothing further to offer, other than I have explained my OPINION in English, some thought it was Greek, too bad !

The best others have offered is name calling, that was smart, no wonder you didn't understand my OPINION.

Strange, I didn't see anyone here lambasting the backslappers. I suppose if you live in a circle you can't possibily think outside the Square !

To keepitreel, if your heart leads you to this venture and your Government allows it, good luck !

( 10 recs in own boats Vs 10 on a charter ...... com on ! )

chilli

stark
21-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello all

Whist I do not wish to wade into the full denouncements put for by Chili, I would like to take exception to Chili's general belief about restocking the reef.

The reef(s) are quite capable of looking after themselves and the fish population will recover very fast when given a rest.

Please look up some of the work done by the Government, local industries & in particular DPI. There is ample evidence of both stock depletion and recovery for Government to close off or open an area according to the requirements of a given area. It is uninformed and or malicious intent by some people with esoteric purposes that use flawed data to push point.

Trust the above point is not too difficult to understand. So chili, give it a rest.

Cheers
John

FNQCairns
21-02-2007, 01:13 PM
There are no sustainability issues on the GBR never has been never would have been with or without the lockout zones so you can leave that excuse aside.

I do however have a theoretical problem with 'Harvesting' the ocean (our economic zone) for money without the ability to 'sow, plant and tend'. Although in practice it can not and does not need to be any other way.

I do however understand people using the excuse over standard of living, there are many examples where a drop in wages/lifestyle would be the result of a moral stand so morals are forgone for the mortgage/car/higher quality coffee etc, ie as long as it's legal/regulated it's OK!!.
If this were not the case we wouldn't be the social and community basket case are now!

The resource belongs to the people, all of the people not just the governments lobby groups design of worthy, if some had their way the resource would for a very special few regardless of no harm done if it had remained 'the peoples'.

2 cents

cheers fnq

keepitreel
21-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the constructive replies fellas.
It has helped me out alot.
I have learned through life that nothing is easy and I have had a far from easy life.
Setting up and running a successful Charter business is my idea of work not building bloody houses.
It will be a lifestyle change and we all love fishing so why not try and make a few $$ from it at the same time.
I don't expect to make millions, I will leave that to the wife, I just wanna make sure I don't die from stress before I'm 40!

Chilli, I don't hold anything against you mate.
Everyone has their own opinion and you have given me yours.
Its obvious yo are very passionate about your fishing and that is good to see.

I practice C&R myself and would like to incorporate that into my charters and use it as a learning tool for our overseas visitors and the uneducated aussies as well.
I want to steer away from the usual charters that have up to 20 people on board keeping everything they catch.
Like I said, a small personalised charter with a max of 6 people using the technique they prefer to catch fish whether it be lure, fly or bait.

At this stage I am looking at all possible options and you guys have been a great help.
Thankyou.

Alex9797
21-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey Chillie,

just for starters 10 boats would use more fuel, adding to pollution etc. easier to educate one charter operator than 10 in duh viduals regarding aspects of sustainability. One would think charter boat owners woulnd't shit in their own nest by wiping out the very product that sustains the business.

Mate I usually sit back and don't get involved in these types of discussions mostly due to lack of knowlage on the subject but fair go what have you got against someone using there own hard earned to make a go of it.

cheers

Alex

_Dan_
21-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

I would also say this is almost all fishos dream jobs, but there is not many good reliable and honest charters out there? maybe a handful? why?

My oppinnion would be that there is isnt millions of dollars to be made and infact many are subsidising their business with other interests, for one count the amount of rain days per year, the amount of big swell, high winds etc etc and you do the maths and work it out Chilli.

Also i have had mates come home from a charter with nothing, and this has happened twice??? How many others out there come home with little or nothing?

If you are prepared and have the $$$ to support the tough times you will do alright.

Good luck mate, i hope all goes well for you and it would be my dream job.

Cheers

Dan

Mod11
21-02-2007, 05:37 PM
First of all sorry, keepitreel, as this thread has been hi-jacked.

now.!

OK, last word from me on this topic, promise. !!

Strange how things are misinterpreted through the written word.

To clarify certain things:-

1. 100% of the people that responded to this thread support ‘ keepitreel ‘

2. 99% supported his idea.

3. My point. Hence my opinion…

… is that, ( read the topic heading ) keepitreel wants to ‘ start ‘ a business. Doesn’t matter what that business is, it’s just in this case fishing charters. He goes to the bank and tells the Commercial Business Manager of his idea for a business. The manager asks KIR ( Keepitreel for short ) what is your business plan and a few other pertanent questions ?

KIR replies that I want to do charter work, this requires a large insurance investment, licences, safety regulations, equipment, boat, and many more other incidentals. ( amounting to who knows, maybe 70K for a start ) He goes on to say that his business is ‘ a service ‘…. And is dependant on weather, he has no clients, he is subject to continuous regulation changes by the government, his destination areas are subject to GBRMPA changes, the mainstay of his business is subject to reduction in catch and species numbers, the issuing govt body may rescind his licence due to their Fishery management practices.

Given those circumstances, and YOU are the bank manager, what do YOU tell your client ?

KIR may well have the 70K under his belt, he may even have the first 6 months wages tucked away. Good, he’ll need it. KIR may well be a lot smarter than me and others here and have a great business plan to present to his bank ( if he needs it ).

My point is, it is a very uncertain business to be going into.. now.

chilli

PinHead
21-02-2007, 05:47 PM
well chilli..first off it was the unsustainability...then if the Govt gave a licence..now it is the bank manager....what next???

And is dependant on weather,so is mine he has no clients not many do when they first start in any business, he is subject to continuous regulation changes by the government as is my business his destination areas are subject to GBRMPA changes, the mainstay of his business is subject to reduction in catch and species numbers mine is subject to interest rates etc, the issuing govt body may rescind his licence my licenses can be rescinded or altered also due to their Fishery management practices.

next objection to put in the man's path???...a decent bank manager up north would probably grant him the money is he has the necessary collateral..tourism is one of the biggest industries in the state. I am all in favour of supporting anyone who wants to have a go on their own..pity a lot more do not try it.