PDA

View Full Version : Latest Sunseeker 78 hits the docks

Argle
19-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Imagine being the proud owner of this 78 foot Sunseeker watching your new boat being unloaded when this happened:o You would hope that you had your insurance well and truly paid up even though the shipyard would have it covered - you hope. Apparently the 34 tonne boat was about 100ft off the ground when the crane tipped over - with predictable results :'( :'(

Cheers and Beers
Scott

bluefin59
19-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Bugger!!!!!

FNQCairns
19-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Some gelcoat putty from Whitworths and a couple of hours sanding, she will be good as gold :).

Imagin trying to find the person who is actually responsible for that damage!

what a shocker, ever seen the bloke who rig's the slings cry!!!

cheers fnq

BGG
19-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Shame it wasn't a POLY, it would still be bouncing!

Tinn
19-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Lucky I don't own that size boat :laugh:

wessel
19-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Boss, about that insurance premium we were supposed to renew last week .......
Well sir, yes that is the sound of a busy international airport in the background....
I am not running away, I am just taking an extended vacation a bit earlier than what I planned.....

That owner must be pi***0ff something chronic right now.

Wessel

Scott: Not calling you a liar, but it would appear that Sunseeker do not make a 78 footer in any of their range looking at their website

Chimo
19-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Now I understand what a total write-off looks like!

Chimo

Shane Boese
19-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Didn't like that boat anyway

If it was mine some heads would be rolling about now.

PinHead
19-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I saw some pics of this a month or so back...the jib of the crane that was lifting it bent in the middle..seems like not the right size crane for the job. About 3.5m US for one of those.

Argle
19-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Not calling you a liar, but it would appear that Sunseeker do not make a 78 footer in any of their range looking at their website

Fair call Wessel, the info I received called it a 78 so thats what I posted, I shall shoot said person immediately;D Suffice to say she's a big girl and now she's broken.....I cringe everytime seeing the pics and its not mine:'( Can you imagine the firestorm in the shipyard owners office? Would be dangerous even for a fly on the wall I reckon

Cheers and Beers
Scott

PinHead
19-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Argle..i think it is a 68 predator (who really cares) but whatever it is...it is bloody expensive.

bootyinblue
19-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Expensive in new condition - but still probably worth more as scrap than the thing I am getting in around at the moment....

3Vs
19-02-2007, 06:15 PM
If it matters it is a 2006 72' Sunseeker Predator - shots are from Port Heuneme in California.

Ouch

Kerry
19-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Well if it can't handle a simple drop test wouldn't be any point odering one for GBR waters :)

Wayne_Red
19-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Now thats exactly why I don't own a sunseeker 78, 72 or a 68
hmm as well as cost
Wayne

Fish Guts
20-02-2007, 05:27 AM
what an absolute piss poor hull for such a big boat. id hate so see one of those in some big seas.

i think this should be done more often to these gold coast style boats !!!

Blackened
20-02-2007, 06:15 AM
what an absolute piss poor hull for such a big boat. id hate so see one of those in some big seas.

G'day

How is a vertical drop onto concrete relevant to the conditions of which you are likely to encounter out at sea? It's a totally different kind of force and direction of force imo.

Dave

PinHead
20-02-2007, 06:32 AM

i think this should be done more often to these gold coast style boats !!!

I would love to see any boat survive that drop...any small fibreglass boat would just be some shards scattered around...Al. boats would just need Sims to scrape it up. Nothing could survive that drop without major damage.

Argle
20-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Well if it can't handle a simple drop test wouldn't be any point odering one for GBR waters :)

Ha ha Kerry I can see it now, "well y'all if it cant take the 100ft drop test y'all can be sure it wont be able to take that 2 foot NQ chop, back to the drawing board i guess" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers and Beers
Scott

wessel
20-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Those pictures are painful to look at..... no matter what size she used to be.

I had a look at an options list for these boats, the radar setup on one of these alone cost more than my boat:o

Fish Guts
20-02-2007, 07:27 PM
G'day

How is a vertical drop onto concrete relevant to the conditions of which you are likely to encounter out at sea? It's a totally different kind of force and direction of force imo.

Dave

Dave,

I wasnt suggesting that the hull should of lasted after such a drop. I was drawing the comment from looking at the hull itself in comparission to the superstructure and size of the boat. Completley out of proportion, hence why i think these boats are good for calm water and absolelty shocking for big seas. simple equation

Luc
20-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Have to agree with you wessel, never a good sight for any boat.

Luc

Fish Guts
20-02-2007, 07:31 PM
[quote=Fish Guts;579620]Dave,

I wasnt suggesting that the hull should of lasted after such a drop. I was drawing the comment from looking at the hull itself in comparission to the superstructure and size of the boat. Completley out of proportion, you'd find some houseboats with better hulls than these !! hence why i think these boats are good for calm water and absolelty shocking for big seas. simple equation..................

cbs
20-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Dave,

I wasnt suggesting that the hull should of lasted after such a drop. I was drawing the comment from looking at the hull itself in comparission to the superstructure and size of the boat. Completley out of proportion, hence why i think these boats are good for calm water and absolelty shocking for big seas. simple equation

What a ridiculus statement.

That particular boat has far more freeboard, far more stability and less windage (also equates somewhat to low CG) than many other "see going" or restricted "sea going vessels such as large sportsfishers etc etc etc.

Not to mention that construction would be along the rules of international classification societies or fully certified as such.

I could go on....

cbs

Fish Guts
21-02-2007, 04:01 AM
What a ridiculus statement.

That particular boat has far more freeboard, far more stability and less windage (also equates somewhat to low CG) than many other "see going" or restricted "sea going vessels such as large sportsfishers etc etc etc.

Not to mention that construction would be along the rules of international classification societies or fully certified as such.

I could go on....

cbs

far more freeboard, far more stability and less windage ?? whatever...there floating palances not boats..if these things dont have a windage problem why has everyone got thrusters on them then ? trust me they look brilliant but in the sea they nose down and shit themselves all over the place. i drove a 65ft dyna for a year up north off and on, and although not a sunseeker, quite similiar in layout, it handled like an absolute pig !!! let alone the wetness of it, i dont know how many wiper blades we went through.

i gurantee this thing alongside a 58 riv or big cresta,the sunskker would be left behind with chardonay and caviar from head to toe.

please go on ..

PinHead
21-02-2007, 05:16 AM
can someone please drop a Riv or Cresta so we can get compatative results.

Fish Guts
21-02-2007, 05:19 AM
im not talking about the drop pinhead im talking about the hull . i explained that if you cared to read above.

PinHead
21-02-2007, 05:30 AM
I read it..as for thrusters..why do most owners have them on Rivs also ???

Horse for courses..people buy what suits them.

Fish Guts
21-02-2007, 06:13 AM
because they cant manouvere a boat properly ! without taking out a whole finger of berths !!

PinHead
21-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I am pathetic at berthing but so far have not managed to hit anything.

cbs
21-02-2007, 07:19 AM
far more freeboard, far more stability and less windage ?? whatever...there floating palances not boats..if these things dont have a windage problem why has everyone got thrusters on them then ? trust me they look brilliant but in the sea they nose down and shit themselves all over the place. i drove a 65ft dyna for a year up north off and on, and although not a sunseeker, quite similiar in layout, it handled like an absolute pig !!! let alone the wetness of it, i dont know how many wiper blades we went through.

i gurantee this thing alongside a 58 riv or big cresta,the sunskker would be left behind with chardonay and caviar from head to toe.

please go on ..

So because you wore out a set of wiper blades on a similar looking (but not the same) vessel you have decided that every boat that bears a sup[erficial resenblance to that one is unworthy of heading outside and running up and down the coast.

Twin screw boats these days have thrusters because the client wants them, and it is now expected equipment. Nobody even comments on this part of the specification anymore because they do make life easier.

Then you compare sunseeker to a riv 58/Cresta? Take a look at the marketing info/hype and see if how many times they use words like luxury or have pics of people drinking champagne. Besides, I know of another comparable vessel of similar example to the Riv 58 that would eat that up in terms of constrruction, performance & finish given a level playing field.

Pinhead, There was a Riv several years back that had its flybridge taken off by a bridge....34/36 I think.

cbs

Fish Guts
21-02-2007, 07:43 AM
yeeeeeop !

Kiktz
23-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Gee, times like that you would need a minty