PDA

View Full Version : Duralac and O/B motors

FNQCairns
19-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Does it make sense to use this stuff on an outboard motor, I have mine in literally 100 pieces and will be putting it together soon, in places like the power trim and tilt mounting bolts actually any bolt from the top of the leg down? The leg is bonded in places with wires, worried it may cause more problems than cures for corrosion protection:'( .

Any ideas?

cheers fnq

Kerry
19-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Nah, wouldn't be using the stuff for that. Nickel anti-sieze and/or a good grease depending on what the bolt/bit does.

Regards, Kerry.

FNQCairns
19-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah thanks Kerry that's what I would normally do, but thinking this may be better to reduce stuck bit's n bolts with time but wondering if there is a related reason why it wouldn't work. The electrical side of corrosion problems has me befuddled at best.

cheers fnq

harlequin
19-02-2007, 08:43 PM
i dont think nickel antiseize would be the wisest choice as it is micro fine nickel in a grease base grreat for protecting steel but much to cathodic for ally [anodic] use anti corrosion grease or marine grease check the interfacce region of your bolts with an illuminated hand magnifier 25x you will probably see pitting crater corrosion yuo wont feel it may just look very slightly discoloured especially the ones hard to remove replace em with new ones they will be very reactive with the ally threads once the chromium coating is compromised still i think the duralac idea is a ripper cant believe it didnt occur to me , will test it on two or three of bolts and monitor it.

Kerry
19-02-2007, 09:45 PM
How can it be cathodic to ally when it is actually composed of Nickel/Aluminium & Graphite?

harlequin
19-02-2007, 11:27 PM
loctite never seize is primarily nickel in a grease base it may contain ally & or graphite i dont know but i do know that graphite is etremely noble and nickel much more than ally so they will be the cathode and ally the anode ally will become sacraficial to the two more noble elements.

blaze
20-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Hi NQ
just use loctite 271 (thats the old number, may have a new numbr now), its only a anti vibration loctite for small screws and such like. Its primary design is to stop small screws comng undone but in doing this it needs to have that micro layer between the parts and being anti vibration it can be undone with normal hand tools (screw driver to undo a screw and not a set of vice grips)
Over the years as a mechanic I have often used loctite to perform the task you require, diferent grades for diferent jobs, does a better job at preseving threads than grease.
cheers
blaze

harlequin
20-02-2007, 06:05 AM
thanks blaze it is these pearls of wisdom that one looks for from such debates

FNQCairns
20-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Harlequin thanks for the advice I will try the duralac in a few places for later reference,

Blaze I am happy to hear your sugestion works better than grease, which does't work real well in my experience anyway, will chase it up today as I have been promised a free day devoid of all the mundane daily taskes so I can build this thing back up.
I already have a bottle of 296 hydraulic sealant, don't suppose that would do the same thing as your suggestion in your experience? suspect not.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
20-02-2007, 08:27 AM
FNQ, I use the marine grease on the thread, and use the loctite stuff to seal around the head of the bolt only.

Couldn't tell you how effective it is, cause I crack the bolts every two years and clean the threads and do it all again.

After me last busted S/S bolt i'm pretty keen to avoid another episode of that drama.

FNQCairns
20-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Gut's, all finished, I ended up doing a bit of everything to see how it all goes over time if I ever pull those parts, thanks for all the advice and info good people :)

cheers fnq