PDA

View Full Version : What Outfit for Dam Barra

Wazzup01
18-02-2007, 09:40 PM
What rod and reel combo would you recommend for using on the Barra in Awoonga? . I am looking for an outfit that I don't have to visit the bank manager before I buy it.;)

Wazza

McCod
19-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Depending on how much you want to spent and what length rod etc?? You won’t get much bang for ya buck under $250!! A Combo around $200 - $250 you could go a Ugly stik 5'6" in a 8-10 KG for around $70 or a Penn Pin Point Tounament 5'6" 10KG @ aprox $95 . Pflueger do few impoundment Barra rods for aprox $100 and if ya wanted a bit more length then theres a 6'3" Pflueger CA 4763-1HFT , And a fair reel on a budget price would be a Daiwa millionaire S MS250 for around $115 or a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 4600C3 or 5500C3 for aprox $150. If ya want a budget low profile reel then Daiwa's Cronos 150 would do the job @ $150,There's a few combos in the tackle shops for less $ but don't expect to much from them.

Cheers Les

Barraless
19-02-2007, 07:15 AM
What would you recommend if there wasn't a budget I know some of the guys use 50lb line and I know my Abu's drag could not handle this!

Roo
19-02-2007, 08:34 AM
the 50lb line is for abrasion resistance. you don't get snapped off as easily if the line can take a bit of rubbing in the sticks.

cheers roo.

rivermanau
19-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Orbyroo is basically correct, although my mate was using 30 lb braid which snapped like a rifle shot when he tried to stop a 90 cm determined to go around a tree. I use 50 lb with a 80 lb leader

BR65
19-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Can personally vouch for the Penn pin point, great little rod at a good price. Think mine is a 56BCH or some thing similar, would have to go out to the shed to check.
Ive got a calcutta 200b hanging off it, think you can pick them up for around $219 off the net. Works good for me.
Problem is you start there and then other shiny new trinkets catch your attention.
Dont say you havent been warned

cheers
Brian

Barraless
20-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Can the Calcutta 200b handle 50lb line?????

McCod
21-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Barraless..... The 200B will handle 50 lb OK as long as you don't use it as a winch and that goes for your Abu as well, As long as the rod along with the drag pressure of the reel and thumb if needed is used to turn rampaging fish there won't be a problem! But as soon as you start tying to turn em by cranking on the reel..... things can start to go pear shaped with the reels, Plenty of Abu's still dragging big Barra out of the sticks in our impoundments,
If money is not an issue then a Team Daiwa Luna 203 or a Black Sheep 250 would be the go for heavy timber work or A low profile Daiwa Big Bait Special.
If going Shimano then the Chonarch CH100B or 100BSV are allmost bullit proof or the Curado comes with a lower ratio of 5:0:1. and as for a rod..... custom is the way to go if ya got the $$, GCCR imports some great blanks from the US and the graphite-USA range have a few great options for Barra. Or the Australian made Egrell B8-5 is Awesome for putting hurt on big fish in the sticks and casts great for a rod under 6'

Cheers Les

BR65
21-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Barraless / Wazzup
the barra curve is a steep one and Im still at the bottom, but heres my thoughts from a bloke who does most of his fishing in the salt.
I fish 50 bionic on the calcutta, but theres no way in the world that is being fished to the max. I reckon the calcutta with stock drag would be lucky to pull 4kg out of the box, maybe some one a bit more technically minded can jump in here.
I just use the 50 for abrasion resistance as prev noted by orbyroo. No problems with 50, cast and retrieve is fine, most of my fishing is casting into structure so line capacity isnt a big issue compared to if you were trolling.
Still I have still been well and truly shown the door by barra on this rig.
I have a chronarch 100b loaded with 30, lovely reel to use but its upping the ante in the price stakes.
If you want to get fair dinkum, go a black sheep, so Im told.
I took the plunge and brought one, first outing will be this week end at monduran, cant wait to see how it goes and hopfully put it thru its paces on a big fat impoundment fish.
Buy the best you can afford, youre going to have the gear for a while and from my experience these fish treat inferior gear with disdain
cheers
Brian

jm82
21-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I just picked up a 6-10kg barra T-Curve from sundown for $159 yesterday. wich i thought was pretty cheap considering i have seen aolt of combos well over the$600 mark. a calcutta 200 will do the job just send it to Jack Erskine and get some carbo drag washers for it and u should be ok.

Feral
22-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Depends on where you are fishing, but a 6-8kg rod and 20-30lb braid with a 30-50lb leader should be adequate. If your fishing over the weed banks and expect to have to drag a big barra through the weed bed, take the winch rope off the trailer.

You dont need a huge reel, one of the biggest complaints is straightening of hooks, in my opinion it just means the drag is to tight. If your pulling stumps or reefing big fish out of the weeds on heavy braid, you should be locking the reel up with your hand anyway. No nned for drag action.

BobbyJ123
22-02-2007, 06:57 AM
G'day mate, how about the Strudwick Sik Stik 10-17 lb and ABU Record 60? My outfit has 20 lb braid and 40 lb mono leader and the runs are on the board. ;) 112cm 114cm and 119cm. Last one was taken in the sticks at Prossy dam, 10.30 pm

Wazzup01
26-02-2007, 10:05 PM
BobbyJ123

That is one well fed barra.

Wazza

TinarooTriumph
26-02-2007, 10:18 PM
A good affordable rod for under say $100 would be a Daiwa Procaster-S (5ft 10i, 12-18lb). These rods are lightweight, so you can twitch lures all day with ease. They are also pretty dam strong!!!

A good reel to match it with would be something like a Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 5600C4 reel... Top notch casting reels that are in-expensive, tough and have some serious drag!

A good line to throw on that would be some 20lb Platil Millenium Hotfiber 2 (Rated to 30lb), or perhaps some P-Line Spectrex IV if you can get your hands on the stuff. 50lb Penn Pro-Power 10X leader to match and I reckon your in for some fish! If this sets you back anymore then say $275, your getting the shirt ripped off your back!

Theo

NAGG
28-02-2007, 07:43 PM
What rod and reel combo would you recommend for using on the Barra in Awoonga? . I am looking for an outfit that I don't have to visit the bank manager before I buy it.;)

Wazza If you are casting ... then you really need a lighter out fit (usually more expensive)..... If your trolling you can get away with the heavier & cheaper outfit ....... NAGG

rob tranter
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing that all the reels mentioned are overheads?
If so, what about poor smucks like me that can't use one and refuse to try.(can't see the point of getting cranky and frustrated at all the birds nests, that I know I will get)
While not in the league of barra for size and fight, I fish for Bass/yellows with a closed face Daiwa Gold 80.
Are there any decent Closed face or maybe egg beaters that would do the trick, if I ever get the chance to have a go at the Barra?
Rob8-)

NAGG
01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing that all the reels mentioned are overheads?
If so, what about poor smucks like me that can't use one and refuse to try.(can't see the point of getting cranky and frustrated at all the birds nests, that I know I will get)
While not in the league of barra for size and fight, I fish for Bass/yellows with a closed face Daiwa Gold 80.
Are there any decent Closed face or maybe egg beaters that would do the trick, if I ever get the chance to have a go at the Barra?
Rob8-)
Rob ..... Yes there are some great eggbeaters that will do the job but they will cost you even more than the baitcasters ....... (reels like a Daiwa Certate can handle 50lb braid in a 3000 size reel ..... but will set you back well over $500) .... I have one & it is an awsome reel + will continually go the distance:) ..... However for those bucks .... Id buy one of the Daiwa / Shimano baitcasters with the good digital / magnetic cast controls & learn how to cast it (these reels are not too hard to learn on) ...... Once you learn you wont go back 8-) NAGG

roydsy
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
.......... distance:) ..... However for those bucks .... Id buy one of the Daiwa / Shimano baitcasters with the good digital / magnetic cast controls & learn how to cast it (these reels are not too hard to learn on) ...... Once you learn you wont go back 8-) NAGG

I have to agree with that statement. Also, buying a better, smoother, high quality baitcaster will be easier to cast then your standard cheapy. My old man was constantly birds nesting on his $80 baitcaster and swore he would never buy one, he ended up getting two chronarchs 100B's, one for me (wooohooo) and some nice high quality easy to cast braid.

eotbmg
01-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I am currently running a 2000 Curado DHSV with 50 lb Yamatoyo braid [blue] over a T Curve Barra Rod. The drag was light so i got Jack Erskine to upgrade it and its as tough as nails. The rod costs $175 and the reel $295 braid $50 and the upgrade on the drag $40. Reasonably cheap for a great outfit which can cast all day and has delivered on the big barra in the weed at Awoonga and the sticks at Monduran. I am a Shimano buyer but there' definately the equivalent in all the other brands and much better. Paul {Big Ren] has a Daiwa black sheep and its an absolute beast but for me with puny arms its too heavy to cast all day.
Cheers
Ben

Feral
02-03-2007, 05:27 AM
I got myself an elcheapo noname brand 3000 series eggbeater with a gazillion bearings from Ebay for $30. Caught some big fish on it, (including impoundment barra) so far no problems. Running 20lb spiderwire on it. Whilst not quite as smooth and polished as a mates Okuma, it is still pretty good. Certainly better than other sub $100 reels I have used. Least wise for $30 worth a try!

rob tranter
02-03-2007, 06:45 AM
I got myself an elcheapo noname brand 3000 series eggbeater with a gazillion bearings from Ebay for $30. Caught some big fish on it, (including impoundment barra) so far no problems. Running 20lb spiderwire on it. Whilst not quite as smooth and polished as a mates Okuma, it is still pretty good. Certainly better than other sub $100 reels I have used. Least wise for $30 worth a try!

Sounds the go Feral, but I hope you don't have to replace those gazillion bearings;D
I guess at that price you'd turf the reel and find another with that amount of bearings hay?:D
Thanks fellas for the advice greatley appreciated.
A mate gave me an old bait caster a few years back. Said go practice, and you'll never look back, two birds nests later (practicing in land) reels in the shed never to be seen. She who must be obeyed has just put an in ground pool in, so I might dig the old reel out and practice in water.
Rob8-)

the_matrix
02-03-2007, 09:00 AM
The only problem with cheap reels is that they work fine until you hook that fish of a lifetime. Theres nothing worse than tackle failure, espeacially considering the effort required to hook it.
You get what you pay for.

Rob, also dont let the old baitcaster turn you off. They have evolved heaps since then.
The new bc's are simple to cast, are well built and wont let you down. I use chronarchs and curado's, I think curado's are around $220, chronarchs a bit more.
You will be able to cast one well in a very short period of time, less than an hour.
You will still get the odd birds nest, but then again who doesnt.
Cheers
Jas

rivermanau
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
1) I agree about baitcasters, I was a spin reel man for years, but now use both. I taught myself following John Bethunes suggestion- sit in front of the TV and practice controlling the line with your thumb as you free spool it with some weight on. Did that for about half an hour and got the point. The other thing is make sure you adjust the cast control and tension to suit the lure you are using.
I use a jap model scorpion reel- a better version of a Curado
2) I have also caught 2 barra over a metre on a spin reel, one was in the sticks.
The reel has to be both strong and light for casting all day. I started with a Daiwa Black Gold which has a good drag and is plenty strong, although the anti reverse is not an infinite one and the clicks as it sets are a bit annoying. Currently I am ussing a Banax Si 1300 which is also a very strong reel with a good drag. these are both about $130 to buy.

NAGG
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
No doubt .... cheaper gear will catch fish ! (seen a K Mart special bring a 30kg Marlin to the rocks only to have the trace break :o .... However if you do a lot of fishing with that gear , you'll soon find the short comings (particularly bearings & drags) .... My opinion is to buy the best you can afford .... & if you cant afford it ..... Save some more :) ! ... NAGG
PS I would still consider a Okuma as a upper end cheap reel

Barraless
03-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Who and where is Jack Erskine and should or could I send my ABU 6600 Brute to strengthen the drag on it. Sorry for all the questions!

staggy
03-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey Barraless ,Jacks in Cairns. Go to www.jackerskine.com for all the info you are chasing. Well worth the money for his products.

Staggy

eotbmg
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I would strongly recommed upgrading any reel that is a little bit light on for drag. Especially if large barra are your target. My newly upgraded curado will pull about 9-10 kilo's of drag [not that i would ever use it on fish] after Jack weaved his magic. Go for it its reasonably cheap and you know you are giving yourself a fighting chance in the sticks especially.
Cheers
Ben

Barraless
07-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I have been looking at the Curado, but I think I had better catch my first barra first so I can justify it to my wife hehehe

rob tranter
07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
The only problem with cheap reels is that they work fine until you hook that fish of a lifetime. Theres nothing worse than tackle failure, espeacially considering the effort required to hook it.
You get what you pay for.

Rob, also dont let the old baitcaster turn you off. They have evolved heaps since then.
The new bc's are simple to cast, are well built and wont let you down. I use chronarchs and curado's, I think curado's are around $220, chronarchs a bit more.
You will be able to cast one well in a very short period of time, less than an hour.
You will still get the odd birds nest, but then again who doesnt.
Cheers
Jas

Yep just purchased the curado 300 ($300) if I've been had, well it's a bit late.
Also bought a Shimano 6' Barra something or other rod.
Now I need to go out and practice, so that when I turn up to all your Dams I slay them HAHAHAHAHAHA
Like that will happen, but I'll have fun trying.
Rob8-)

NAGG
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Yep just purchased the curado 300 ($300) if I've been had, well it's a bit late.
Now I need to go out and practice, so that when I turn up to all your Dams I slay them HAHAHAHAHAHA
Rob8-)
Onya Rob ........ No reason why you cant use the outfit on other species as well8-) ..... Cheers , NAGG

Big_Ren
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I am currently running a 2000 Curado DHSV with 50 lb Yamatoyo braid [blue] over a T Curve Barra Rod. The drag was light so i got Jack Erskine to upgrade it and its as tough as nails. The rod costs $175 and the reel $295 braid $50 and the upgrade on the drag $40. Reasonably cheap for a great outfit which can cast all day and has delivered on the big barra in the weed at Awoonga and the sticks at Monduran. I am a Shimano buyer but there' definately the equivalent in all the other brands and much better. Paul {Big Ren] has a Daiwa black sheep and its an absolute beast but for me with puny arms its too heavy to cast all day.
Cheers
Ben

Hey Ben

The Black Sheep (300) was impossible to cast when I had it on the PNG Bass stick (20kg)....double handed was the only way but once I changed over to a Boof Stick it casts like a dream.....I'm not loyal to one brand and love my Chronarch 100 BSV...way more affordable (sensible;D ) for me.

Give ya a go of the Black Sheep at Monduran in a fortnight::) until you get fish that is;)

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
07-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Rob8-)

Rob

Seriously, you will love using baitcasters once you get the hang of them....there are a few instructional DVDs of them in use or even how to use them. If you spend a few bucks with your local tackle dealer (as we all do:o hope my wife is not reading this) then he/she at least owes it to you to spend a few minutes showing you the finer points....patience is the name of the game and it will all come together....we all still get birds nests and some of us even peg lures high in tree tops trying to catch those barra monkeys;D It's all good fun and once you learn, you won't go back mate.

Cheers
Paul

the_matrix
07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Big Ren,
You made a good point there regarding the rod. Its equally important in the equation, and those double handers are perfect (all my rods are double handers minus the twitchen stick) for big long casts.

Rob, you have one hell of an outfit there, Barra Raiders are great sticks and the Curado wont let you down. Theres so many good bc's out there now from the big names, all equal to the task.
The line capacity of the 300 is a good thing too, I use one in the salt for big bruiser Barra. I can fish super heavy braid over it and still have a decent line capacity.
It wont take long, you'll be casting like a demon before you know it! :)
Cheers
Jas

Big_Ren
07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Jas

There was just no other way with the Bass Stick...we would be fatigued in 5 minutes flat, and still fatigued in 30 minutes double handed....not meant to be a casting stick........but the Camoufish rods....well that's another story as you will attest.....seriously considering a High Roller now once I save more hard earned pennies...just cause it's a bit longer than the Boof Stick for better long distance casting I am thinking...here's a pic of the PNG bass stick/elephant gun...definitely overkill for Australian impoundment fishing....there can be no finesse about it whatsoever, but it actually makes a nice trolling stick for billfish and macks these days;D .

Cheers
Paul

the_matrix
07-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Yeh nice stick, be a good live baiting rod for wild fish.
The high roller is a special for long casts, and great for plastics as well.
A lot of people buy elephant guns, then realise that your body is not up to the task of big casting sessions. It hurts :)

The rod I use mostly now for impoundment Barra is a prototype Millerod blademaster XXH, 7 feet long, basically a Bass rod really, but heavy duty. Barra has cut it down a little for extra strength, awesome for plastics, line control is sensational. Handles the big stuff (Ive landed fish up top 120 using it) but it doesnt have the low down grunt the high roller has, and really is only suitable for plastics (perfect actually)
The high roller is probably the best all rounder Ive seen, there nothing it cant do in the fishing stakes, gee its a tuff bit of gear. But as you know they are not cheap.
Cheers
Jas

Big_Ren
08-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Jas

Navi (Black_Sheep), myself and another barra lunatic work colleague;D all ordered Boof Sticks last year, and can I say, that from what Navi was saying Barra was an absolute gem to deal with directly...no BS and full of additional unsolicited information for us.

The spiral wraps take a bit of getting used to but hey, they are there for a purpose. We would have no hesitation dealing directly with Ian again (sooner rather than later::) )....just a nice bloke to do business with.

Sounds like a weapon that Barra has built for you and if you're using Slick Rigs or other SPs 90% of the time, it probably makes good sense to get a custom jobby for that purpose.

I still love my hard bodies but those weed beds and plastics go hand in hand. We're heading to Monduran on the 21st...how do you reckon the Slick Rigs would go in the heavy timber? (we have cut them down...from the jig head, not in length, as I found the full weighted 110s just sink too fast unless you're slow rolling them from touch down, otherwise they simply become a snag magnet).

Cheers
Paul

Awoonga
08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Well my 5 cents worth is...Slick rigs at Monduran are...Well lets just say not the preferred lure...I fished the barra tour with them at all of the dams... magic..except monduran. Prefished with the Taylor boys at Monduran... We used Slik rigs No barra.. but the catties loved them So l went back to hard bodies and caught fish.... Dont know why cant explain it....Maybe the lack of weed beds ??..l am sure that people have caught fish on them there....But not me......

the_matrix
08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Paul,
Yeh agree about Barra. Great bloke.
Ive learned a ton about rod charectersitics since becoming involved with millerods.
That blademaster XXH is joining the camoufish range as well.
Slick rigs at Monduran, going off everyone else, they seem to be difficult to target with. I have not yet fished Monduran, so I dont know exactly what the fringes are like. Im certain that there is a place for them, Barra in every other place Ive been to in the country cannot help themselves, its a matter of finding the right application. Awoonga was like that too when I got one of the very first slick rigs.
It took a while to find its place in the sun.

I would rig one on a worm hook (texas rigged) like I do when fishing heavy timber up here (how I fished in Arnhemland recently as well). Works bloody awesome. Pull the jig head out, get a heavy gauge Gamakatsu worm hook and a small conical sinker for the nose, put the hook through the tip of the nose, feed through, then stick it through the underbelly.The gape of the hook fits snug in the cavity (where the jig head once lived), no hook exposure meaning you can pull it through very nasty stuff.
Hook up rates suffer a little, but if your reflex's are good you'll get 2 out of 4.
If your unsure about the rig, let me know and I will post a photo of it.
Cheers
Jas

the_matrix
08-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Trev,
Thanks for that mate, I know you fish Monduran a fair bit. Your probably right when it comes to the weedbeds, however there will be a way to target them, thats for sure.
Im going to have to get my but down there and check it out, some thing I plan to do in the near future.
Cheers
Jas

Big_Ren
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Trev....appreciate the advice...maybe it is the lack of weed beds. Were the Taylor boys using their modified slick rigs?...would have thought there is way too much timber for that much bling hanging off a plastic.

Slick rigs and Power Mullets and the like might go okay on the troll at Monduran (but we absolutely hate trolling at Monduran).

Jas, I will try them texas rigged...don't think I need a photo.....I know what you mean. Thanks for the tip. Reaction time might have to be quicker...lucky I don't have a heart condition lol.

Cheers
Paul

skeeter
09-06-2007, 01:37 PM
My 2 cents worth, at Awoonga, I fish a shimano tcurve tournament barra with a abu revo stx hs (20lb braid) for casting and I troll an ugly stik with a shimano calcutta CT400B (50lb braid). These combo's work pretty well for me.

Which leads me to another question along this thread, I also have a Daiwa TD SOL3000 spooled with 30lb braid and I am looking for a graphite spinning rod (for casting). Yep there is plenty of baitcast rods to choose from but I am having difficulty finding spinning rods to suit big barra that have the same casting appeal.

Yes I do fish happily with baitcasters and prefer them but no matter how hard I try (same rod, same line, same lure), I can't outcast (distance) a spinning rig.

So any recommendations for a graphite spinning rod?

Thanks in advance,
skeeter

the_matrix
10-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Skeeter.
I use a T-Curve Powerspin in Awoonga when playing with threadlines. Its rated 5-10kg, handles the barra well. The reel is a Stradic 4000FH, loaded with 20lb braid.
You may want to find a Daiwa rod to match your reel, if thats not a concern I'd recommend the T-Curve.
Distance is a very important facet of impoundment fishing, esp in dams that have seen a lot of pressure. If the threadline gives you better distance, its almost a given it will get you more fish.
Cheers
Jas

t4topcat
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Skeeter,
I just picked up a ATC Hardstick (Bob Loomis runs the manufacturing side of things) 7' 3-6 kg spinnerbait spinstick and I know that they have a model heavier than that, only cost $119.00 with a lifetime replacement if you break it under normal usage, full Fuji components, a real nice stick for the money. As for Barra outfits, well for trolling and throwing bigger lures I've got a T-Curve PowerCast 8-12kg with a Luna 253 and 30lb Bionic, and for casting I have a T-Curve Barra 6-10kg with a Curado 200BSF tricked up with Erskine Drag washers runnig 30lb Bionic. These ATC sticks also do Baitcasters and I've lay-byed a 6'9" 5-10kg crankbait stick as another trolling stick that I can mount my other 50lb reel on. As for reels I'd be looking at older model Curados that are left over old stock you should be able to pick them up at reasonable prices since the new models have been released they're one of the easiest low profiles to cast, there was a reason they were so popular with guides.

Cheers

Chris

nipsta
11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
i would recomend and Abu Whiffle Spool which is specficly design for braid and will hold a good amount of line on the spool and a uglystik 5ft6 8 to 10 kg the rod is worth $62 at bcf and i bought my reel from ebay normally about $200 i got it for $115 deliveried to the door im currently also waiting on a OKUMA INDURON IDX 250 ROUND BAITCAST REEL (which i won on ebay as well its coming from america its normally worth about $230 i got it for $83 dollars deliveried ) to give a try i heard there pretty good as well so hope that helps also dont be afriad to buy cheaper as the rods and reels might suprise you

skeeter
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Skeeter.
I use a T-Curve Powerspin in Awoonga when playing with threadlines. Its rated 5-10kg, handles the barra well. The reel is a Stradic 4000FH, loaded with 20lb braid.
You may want to find a Daiwa rod to match your reel, if thats not a concern I'd recommend the T-Curve.
Distance is a very important facet of impoundment fishing, esp in dams that have seen a lot of pressure. If the threadline gives you better distance, its almost a given it will get you more fish.
Cheers
Jas

Jas,
Thats the 2 piece, 6" 7' model isn't it? How well does it cast, not too shift? and the 2 pieces hasn't been a problem?
I agree with your comment on distance casting, thats the main reason for me pursuing a tougher spin stick. Awoonga can be tough at times (it gets a fair bit of fishing pressure), so an extra option is what my thoughts were too.
Regards
Peter

the_matrix
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Peter, some of the finest rods in the world are two, three and four piece.
I have not had any problems with it, its a pleasure to use, is durable, light and powerful. It casts like a gem.
Cheers
Jas

mylestom
12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
My 2 cents worth, at Awoonga, I fish a shimano tcurve tournament barra with a abu revo stx hs (20lb braid) for casting and I troll an ugly stik with a shimano calcutta CT400B (50lb braid). These combo's work pretty well for me.

Which leads me to another question along this thread, I also have a Daiwa TD SOL3000 spooled with 30lb braid and I am looking for a graphite spinning rod (for casting). Yep there is plenty of baitcast rods to choose from but I am having difficulty finding spinning rods to suit big barra that have the same casting appeal.

Yes I do fish happily with baitcasters and prefer them but no matter how hard I try (same rod, same line, same lure), I can't outcast (distance) a spinning rig.

So any recommendations for a graphite spinning rod?

Thanks in advance,
skeeter

Skeeter,

You could try the Daiwa PR-601XHFS, should fit the bill, have used and find there great.

A quick search on Daiwa Tournament site has them

Regards

Trevor