PDA

View Full Version : Mullaway Mackerel

murf
18-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Mullaway is just North of Coffs Harbour and we have been waiting for the mackerel to arrive from up north.

The water has been all over the place with colour and temp changing day by day but this week it has settled down to a nice blue and at 24deg we were in with a chance.

We couldn't find any slimies at the circle so we headed in to Woolgoolga bay to get about 8 nice slimies.

we then went and set up anchor out off Mullaway and started a berly trail before sending out a couple of slimies about 3 to 4m under a balloon with a 44lb single strand wire trace.

It didn't take long before a big boil of water on the surface near Waynes balloon and the rachet was screaming away, Wayne was on to a nice spotty of 5.6kg:) the first one for the season and the first for Waynes new boat, it was good looking at his face as blood was spilt on the carpet ;D

we were all keen now but a big shower of rain came over and dampened us a bit and also not another touch for the morning.

we now have another option for fishing for the next few months in our piece of paradise;D

Cheers Murf

jtpython
18-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Nice spottie murf , hope the weather stays good so youse can latch onto them. Weather up here is shocking and if it comes good by next weekend i'm stuffed then cause i have to work all next weekend

Matt Tyler
18-02-2007, 10:13 AM
good spottie murf, good fun that makeral fishing

Hagar
18-02-2007, 11:56 AM
That's a real good spot Murf . Did you get some floating pillies out quick and try spinning . We have had spots ignore livies yet take pillies plenty of times .

Chris

murf
18-02-2007, 12:06 PM
That's a real good spot Murf . Did you get some floating pillies out quick and try spinning . We have had spots ignore livies yet take pillies plenty of times .

Chris

Slimies are the #1 bait whether trolled slow or under balloons around here

pillies never seem to work reel well down here. In saying that one of the 10kg spots in my gallery was caught on a pillie.

Never heard of anyone spinning up a spot down here but I want to chuck a few placcies at them when they thicken up

Cheers Murf

zigfreed
19-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I used to live in Coffs and as Murph says trolling slimies is No1 bait down there, i used to get heaps of good fish.
Now live in brisvegas and troll livies in the 18's and 24's off the goldy with not too much to brag about.
Is this not the best way to chase pleagics up here????
Would i catch more fish floating pillies???
Do i need to replace my overheads with Alveys????

Help!!!!!!!!! Getting frustrated and spending way too much money on fuel for zip............

roz
27-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice spottie there Murf,

The last decent sized spottie I caught was down here, I never seem to get the bigger sized ones up north.

Anyway, nice fish.

cheers r.

murf
28-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Nice spottie there Murf,

The last decent sized spottie I caught was down here, I never seem to get the bigger sized ones up north.

Anyway, nice fish.

cheers r.

I put Waynes fish in the Coffs paper and it got mackerel of the week8-)

5.6kg is a small spottie down here and I had to stir him up, now he gets a ribbing from everyone around about weighing in his bait ;D ;D ;D

Had a slow troll around yesterday arvo for mackerel with live slimies for about 11/2 hours with no luck, the water temp had fallen again to 22/23deg:(

Cheers Murf