PDA

View Full Version : DIY Padded Side Coamings

Jusel
16-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Have been thinking about making some padded side coamings for my Allison Fisherman 189. Has any one attempted this before? Would like to get some info on the best materials to use and how to go about making them.

Cheers
Jusel

Dignity
16-02-2007, 05:57 PM
do you currently have side coamings that need replacing - if so take them off and cut the stitching on the joins to get a pattern. Clark Rubber sells uv rated vinyl (100 hrs) and it is easy to sew. I use the blue vinyl to create strips - the vinyl is usually 1.36m wide so you need the strips to fit anything longer. If you haven't got existing coamings it is still easy enough to do, just have to play around until you it looks right. If you need foam, check their offcuts and try and get something already there as they will discount a piece if it has already been cut. Use Upholstery thread - Gutermann M782 will do and use Leather sewing needles size 100/16. Set the machine for the longest stich possible. Piping is a bit harder and requires some plastic tubing and a strip of vinyl and use a zipper foot to make it up.

I have done a few seats etc and about to redo the coaming on my allison if you need specific info PM me.

sam
edit: and a piece of ply and some screws and T nuts as well

snelly1971
16-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I am interested too Sam...got any pics of yours....

Dignity
16-02-2007, 06:25 PM
camera batteries flat - will try and post pics tomorrow

Dignity
17-02-2007, 09:02 AM
couple of pics - here - redid the rear lounge - the stripe don't match the coaming as I was about to redo that and easier to match up with the seat - the whole lot cost me about $60 all up. Couple of pics to show how piping is made

snelly1971
17-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks dignity for the pic....gives me a rough idea now...thanks..