PDA

View Full Version : One more question

JEWIENEWIE
16-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Just one more question, i have noticed that on the outside of my tinny, there are many scratches from pulling in the anchor and the chain is scrapping the crap out of it. If i slide some soft plastic tubing over the anchor chain, will this alter its performance, will it stilll grab ok.
Jewie

Chimo
16-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Should work fine if the chain is long enough and heavy enough, plus you can flush the chain after use with a fresh water hose shoved in the end.

Chimo

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Mate I think you might be better off with a bit of rubber to fit over your gunhall.
A bit of radiator hose say 18 inchess long and sliced down the guts, and spread over the edge of your tinnie, might do the trick.

But you will still have to lean out further when you pull the anchor over the side, cause that's going to be a bit harder to plastic coat to stop the scratches.

My boat has a bow sprit, even me wife hasn't scratched me boat pulling the anchor in, so maybe that would be all round the better option.

JEWIENEWIE
16-02-2007, 01:28 PM
excuse my ignorance but what is a bow sprit. I thught about the radiator hose thing or somethng similiar, but didnt want to use a glue or something to hold it on the gunnell?
Jewie

skippa
16-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Mate of mine has a rubber on the anchor chain, bike tube works well. Not only does it not scratch but keeps the noise down too.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

JEWIENEWIE
16-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Thats what i am after. Thanks mate.
Jewie

woppa
16-02-2007, 02:19 PM
If you choose to go with a rubber tube over you anchor chain, try to keep an eye on the corrosion/rust level on the chain inside the tube.
I've witnessed a few get lowered over the side never to be seen again due to hidden rust.

tigermullet
17-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Must agree with Woppa. Clear tube should be a better option. It would be better on the gunwhale too because rubber or radiator hose in contact with bare aluminium is corrosive - especially in a salt water environment or even in fresh if there is stray electrical current. Also be a bit careful with choice of glues - if you intend gluing it. If using silicon make sure it is 'neutral' and not 'acid' cured.

Marlin_Mike
17-02-2007, 06:45 AM
i have clear tubing over my anchor chain. Doesnt affect the performance of the anchor at all.

And it does protect the paint on the boat :)

Mike

finga
17-02-2007, 07:35 AM
i have clear tubing over my anchor chain. Doesnt affect the performance of the anchor at all.

And it does protect the paint on the boat :)

Mike
That and the threat of been bashed with the dogfish donger if you scrape the anchor chain on the side of the boat. Works a treat eh Mike ;)