PDA

View Full Version : v4 johno more goings on

wayneoro
16-02-2007, 10:54 AM
got the taco working great 2000 revs 6knts 3000revs 18knts 4000revs 30knts was flatstick ? since i took motor to harveybay marine services to have new remote gear cable ,leg etc done went great but then this morning throttle cable has gone i think to get home i had to put motor in gear idle speed then go to motor to manually increase revs came home at 4knts [after i got motor back throttle felt very tight ?]about 1 hr to do that then a different siren came on [not the heat ] one ? just as i was approaching ramp ? help
]

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Suspect they stuffed up the throttle cable/remote somehow when the fitted the gear cables probably easily fixed.
What did you use to get the speed readings?
Do you run premix?
What year is the engine?
What sized boat?

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Think that there tacho, is not adjusted to the right poles, hopfully there is a pole setting for how many cylinders on your motor.

It's reading to low by maybe 750- 1000 Rpm.
Think it would be more like 1300 rpm 6kts provided the hull isn't ploughing water.

Yep throttle cable has jammed some how in the control box, might pay to take it back where it was done. Them control boxes, aren't that friendly if your missing bits inside.

But then again you may find the busted bits, and it's better to know the working of your boat your self.
Cause they never break down in front of your mechanic.

wayneoro
16-02-2007, 03:25 PM
guys taco at idle is 1000 2000 revs =6-7knts is same as when i previously had a 70hp the taco came with motor the odds are its right plus marine services said they checked it out i have large pods on this is first time taco has been working since then my guess is i,m to high with motor i might have to flood pods i would post a pic well i can to a email address but havent sussed how to on the site

peterbo3
16-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Wayne,
Flooding the pods is probably not a good idea. They will have no baffles inside them & water will slop around possibly affecting your stability. If your motor is now too high in the water, you would probably get higher revs due to the aeration under the ventilation plate.
If in fact it is too high, try some solid ballast (sandbags or fat deckie) in front of the transom to determine what is needed. Option 1 would then be to lower the motor. Option 2 would the addition of some permanent ballast - batteries, extra fuel tank, etc.

wayneoro
16-02-2007, 07:17 PM
cheers peter good ideas as luck has it the pods are baffled i tested after installing them they only fill to about 1/4 with plug out pods are 55ltrs ec will lower 1in start with cheers

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Hmmm with pods, aren't you suposed to raise the motor 1.5 inchess for very foot of the pod extension.

wayneoro
16-02-2007, 08:39 PM
mate my motor is still in original spot i installed a floation pod ec side of motor after watching taco everything is great up to 3000 revs [20knts] super quick to plane and runs flat as so ?

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 08:53 PM
So Wayne what is the problem exactly, im just guessing it's not acheiving max rev's on your motor as it did before.

So these pods, are we talking really large ? I remember a tinnie a while ago that had huge high ally pods on, is this the same boat?

Cause if it is that boat, I think with out looking at the piccys again that there will be some huge interferance drag from those pods, them are huge.

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Wayne you are not too high with the engine if you are only getting 4000rpm??? and also getting 60km/h?? something is really dodgee here, If you can answer the above Qs may be able to point to where -possibly.

Also what diameter and pitch prop?

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I remember seeing piccys of a home made pods a while back these pods where level with the bottom of the boat, and extended 2.5- 3 foot out from the transom.

Now those pods may well be very stable, but there not good for speed or rev's as they need to be higher or stepped up from the bottom of the boat.

So the pods really need to be out of the water at speed otherwise the motor will struggle, with that extra drag and interferance. Not sure if this is the same boat though Wane, you got piccys.

I use to fly sea planes and until you could get the hull on to the step (shortest part of the hull) then you weren't going to be flying.

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 09:38 PM
"Fly sea planes" Lucky bugger I would love to do that!

Gut's the idea of setback pods is to push the C of G a little further back and the small amount of extra cantelever (sp) will allow the boat more natural bow lift and ride further back on less hull pad when trimmed for high speed, so the props thrust is closer to running parallel with the water and not pointing relativly skyward, possibly throwing a largeroostertail.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 10:02 PM
FNQ, was only a Lake buccaneer BD4 300HP great boat, sh!t Aircraft.
Bloody near got killed in it. (twice) never wan't to fly another one again.

Actually that's not true I would fly it again, just make sure it's not in a 3 foot chop trying to take off.

Yeah I see what you mean with the pods, but if it's the one i'm thinking she'd be struggling to get much out the water, them pods where to long.

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Must have been the DB4-C, cool little aircraft, home built by you? Google is a wonderfull thing :)

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
16-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Nah she wasn't a home built FNQ, surely no one in there right mind would buil this thing. definately a American built A/C big continental engine mounted on the roof 5 seater max, fuel tank pods on the bottom of each wing tip.

But I loved this thing at the boat ramps, cause the hull leaked we had to taxi her up to the ramp and drain her after a 4 hour session, before the next.

No ramp rage with this thing spitting rocks and water at you that's for sure.
LMAO every time.
Then driving her down the ramp straight in the water was a great feeling, being semi submerged past the windscreen for 10 or so foot, fastest boat I ever been in.

wayneoro
23-02-2007, 10:31 AM
ok put new throttle cable in runs great no 1 plug that was brown is now blacker but still little bit of brown havent had a chance to recheck taco to speed etc but going to drop motor about 1 -2 inches