PDA

View Full Version : r all second hand dealership sharks

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 05:35 PM
hello everyone i have been looking around sunshine coast for a boat and noticed a boat at tewantin private sale of 7200 then i walked into a dealership around noosa erea and sore the same boat i asked with what that won was worth just out of curiosity he said to me 10500 to 11000 thousand mark. I cant see sense in the over kill in prices 1000 or 1500 fine but that is just ridculous the mark up on this craft and the dummy thought he had a sale till i said to him ive seen that boat down the road for 7200 he sank into his shoes serves him right has anyone else been had like this???????;D;D;D;D

finga
15-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe the boat down the road was just cheap?? :)

PinHead
15-02-2007, 05:54 PM
was it the SAME boat or a SIMILAR boat ????

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 05:56 PM
same boat with canopy

PinHead
15-02-2007, 05:58 PM
so you saw the boat down the road and then the SAME boat...I mean identical boat..same registration etc in the dealers yard ??

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 06:01 PM
yeah it was just down from mates place

PinHead
15-02-2007, 06:05 PM
overheads...profits etc...$1500 on one boat would not keep their doors open for very long.

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 06:12 PM
what did they really buy it for then and these guys move boats mate i understand u need ur profits and margins.

finga
15-02-2007, 06:47 PM
what did they really buy it for then and these guys move boats mate i understand u need ur profits and margins.
I was offered $2000 for my little tinny, trailer and motor as a trade on a $25k boat from a dealer in the Cleveland area.
2000 model Edgetracker with everything imaginable in a boat, 2000 15hp Honda and trailer ??
I still have the tiny tinny ;D

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 06:54 PM
what did u pay for that finga

finga
15-02-2007, 06:59 PM
what did u pay for that finga
No idea on price it owes me if you want to include time, materials and effort.
Was an elcheapo bare hull that was neglected a fair bit and I got a bit bored and went to town on it. ;D

But in the same yard at the same time was a similar sized tinny with a 15hp 2stroker with only a bimini and sounder and it was $4,500.
And to be honest I have no quarms in anybody making money but I think at least 250% profit is a bit over the top.
If you take into consideration the expenses involved in having a boat yard and the problems that could be experienced in selling or after selling a boat (ie motor blowing up or electronics don't work) $2000 would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay more from a dealer then a private seller on a $10k boat.

robersl
15-02-2007, 08:38 PM
i traded my 4.10 allcraft with 30 hp merc cost me 8,800 new only got 3,500 as a trade 2 yeARS LATER SEVICED AND ALL I WAS AFTER A BIGGER BOAT AT THE TIME OR WOULD OF SAID STICK IT

fish_on
15-02-2007, 09:59 PM
whats this mr pikus giving up the kayak are we ??? ;D

skippa
16-02-2007, 07:44 AM
From a certain Redlands dealer, I was offered $4000 trade-in for my Haines V17R on another Haines in their yard priced at $19000. Even tho it was the 'best they'd seen' and couldn't find any major faults (in fact the Yammy checked out 100%) that's the best they would offer. Needless to say the 'offer' wasn't taken.

I understand about overheads and profits, the more volume (turnover) the less GP you need to work on; you can only bank $$ not GP right.

BTW, I sold it private for $10,500 to the first guy that looked at it.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I dunno, our boating costs are kept arificially high anyway, for example a very simple genuine plastic part for a yamaha 90 priced in the USA is $5.50AUD, over the counter here $28.00AUD!!

There is an upside the last thing I want to see is a true explosion of half hearted Boaties on the water akin to the affordable 4wd explosion in numbers seen over the last 10-15 years.

At least with boats they typical bloke needs to be fairly keen to keep it up! I know that's where am at.

cheers fnq

3Vs
16-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Name of the game - get some from both ends.

Bob H
16-02-2007, 09:36 AM
i look at it this way ,if you dont like their offer.dont sell it to them. the reason they give you stuff all for it is because of the people that say ok ,because they couldn,t be bothered selling it themselves.if we all stood up to these people it nwould change. bob h

flatstrap
16-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Ah, the joys and pitfalls of trading in the used boats or car market.
Rule 1: Something's worth exactly what someone ELSE is willing to pay for it.
Rule 2: The buyer has the advantage as he HAS the money.
Rule 3: If you think your property is worth more than youR DEALER has offered, sell it youself! Factor in your time and effort and the cost of advertising.
Dealers have the advantage of knowing the marketplace. Should he feel that your boat won't sell quickly, a low offer will result. If he's smart, he'll "low ball" you anyway to judge how you'll react. There are very few "dumb" dealers. If he has a lot of stock to move, low offer. If it's a popular boat and you don't want much for it, he'll wine and dine you. It's an offer only; you don't have to accept it.
Above all, de-personalise all your dealings and don't feel hurt if a buyer (dealer) mucks you around, but by the same formula, do your homework and figure out what your boat is really worth regardless of the fact you give your boat hugs and kisses every time you put it away. It's only a boat to someone else!
Final rule: Be realistic and you won't feel cheated.
flatstrap

stark
16-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Some of the better yards sell on consignment. I think a more realistic price would be available, but you do have to wait for the boat to sell before gaining any monies.

Cheers
John

finga
16-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Ah, the joys and pitfalls of trading in the used boats or car market.
Rule 1: Something's worth exactly what someone ELSE is willing to pay for it.
Rule 2: The buyer has the advantage as he HAS the money.
Rule 3: If you think your property is worth more than youR DEALER has offered, sell it youself! Factor in your time and effort and the cost of advertising.
Dealers have the advantage of knowing the marketplace. Should he feel that your boat won't sell quickly, a low offer will result. If he's smart, he'll "low ball" you anyway to judge how you'll react. There are very few "dumb" dealers. If he has a lot of stock to move, low offer. If it's a popular boat and you don't want much for it, he'll wine and dine you. It's an offer only; you don't have to accept it.
Above all, de-personalise all your dealings and don't feel hurt if a buyer (dealer) mucks you around, but by the same formula, do your homework and figure out what your boat is really worth regardless of the fact you give your boat hugs and kisses every time you put it away. It's only a boat to someone else!
Final rule: Be realistic and you won't feel cheated.
flatstrap
My little tinny is one of the hard ones to move apparently. Hence the low offer because it would be hard to move...???
I reckon I could have doubled the dealers offer and parked it out the front of this particular dealer with a for sale sign and I would have sold it within the time it took for me to go and buy a maggot bag for smoko.
He broke the trade-in offer into parts. The 15hp 2000model Honda was $1000, the hull with new under warranty Humminbird 727 DF sounder, Garmin 128 GPS and new VHF radio etc etc etc was $800 and the registered trailer at $200. The whole boat was less then 10 months from major rebuild.
I actually asked what he was on and asked about justification according to the prices of tinnies in the front yard (actually I said you've got to be kidding and told him to look at the prices in his front yard) and his reaction was stuff it if your not happy go elswhere. I did. Simple.:)

skippa
16-02-2007, 07:10 PM
his reaction was stuff it if your not happy go elswhere. I did. Simple.:)

Me too and I more than doubled my money ... who's laughing now ;D ;D

tunapikus
16-02-2007, 07:19 PM
fish on u cheeky bastard need to go out further whats wrong with that. and that smiley face u no with were u can stick that ha ha

joeT
17-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Not all sharks. I have to vouch for Marine Tune at Burleigh Heads who offered me $3000 for my 3.75 Allycraft, 2000 15hp yamaha, old trailer, which I couldn't sell in the trading post for $3500 (this was back in 2004). And, this was as a trade in on a $7500 boat.