PDA

View Full Version : waddy point on the weekend

snappa
15-02-2007, 12:19 AM
pics sent to me ..

a bit of bad luck

-spiro-
15-02-2007, 01:13 AM
thats one 4wd i would'nr like to buy. one of your mates pete?

Marlin_Mike
15-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Oh bummer................did ya's get her out ok?

Mike

seapup
15-02-2007, 06:57 AM
would have taken a bulldozer to pull that beast out!! he would have been spewing!! hope they loaded up on reds to make up for it!

Pistol_P
15-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah that aint pretty!:(

JB
15-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Top photos Pete, looks like they had the extended drawbar wonder how she got stuck so bad... like you say bad luck i guess.

Greg P
15-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The shark winch ahh tackle could have gotten a run Pete if you had of been there :-X;D;D;D

I blame the bloke on the duckboard for not yelling out STOP !!!! WTF is he doing there anyway.

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 05:05 PM
not pretty i would be pissed

hoga
15-02-2007, 05:31 PM
they are just praticing for the comp in may

scoota
16-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Hate to say it but I think my mate Sean in the first pick and I reckon thats Jims new platey.
I know they are at Waddy.
I'm sure I will here more

Not so happy days...

Scoota...

SunnyCoastMark
16-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,
Looks like an 'F' Truck - If so - they are bloody heavy - Doesn't take much to sink em -

I drive one - and I wouldn't take it on the beach let alone use it for beach launching.:o

Mark

wildone
16-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Funny ;D

( comment removed by Mod , no need for that )

snapperm8
16-02-2007, 04:27 PM
geeze u woulda hoped u rust proofed tht b4 u took it on the beach

cheers dave

jm82
16-02-2007, 04:45 PM
That is some real bad luck, I know they loose a couple of cars at the toyota fishing comp each year threw inexperianced ppl . In some ways i feel i little sorry for the bloke . thats 80grands worth of car .

Josh

block
16-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I have not had that trouble in my two trips to waddy thankfully!! it could happen so quickly to anyone. Hope it all turned out ok for them.

as for the big car little brain remark, one would have to have a little brain to wright that in the first place!!

Dwane

AaronF
17-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Gotta say no-one enjoys that kind of thing. Who cares if they can afford the 80K or not it just isn't much fun.

JEWIENEWIE
17-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Wildone, i hope you never require a tow from someone on this site mate cause i personally wont give you one after that comment.
Jewie>:(

JEWIENEWIE
17-02-2007, 12:31 PM
That is one reason why i retrieve my boat off the beach the way i do.Its only a 4.2m stacer runabout but i would much rather put a strap from the bow eye onto the trailer chasis or some secure point and drag the baby out of the water onto harder sand then dry winch her up. I get some curios looks some time but if they saw photos like these they would understand why i do it. IT doestn take long for the wheels to sink down into sofr sand, especially if your having trouble gettin the rig back onto the trailer. It is easy to be concentrating on getting the boat lined up right while forgetting that the whells are slowly getting deeper. What a nightmare, hope all works out ok.
Jewie

wildone
17-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Won t happen i got some common sence;)

I ve seen this happen many times you just gotta laugh

gawby
17-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Not a pretty sight. You have gotto feel sorry for the blokes.

Dosen't matter how experienced you are things can go wrong.

Wildone, you are a new member with six posts, I am going to laugh at you if mod 5 gets the sh'ts with you and you have no posts and get a big BANNED ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Graeme;)

finga
18-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I have not had that trouble in my two trips to waddy thankfully!! it could happen so quickly to anyone. Hope it all turned out ok for them.

as for the big car little brain remark, one would have to have a little brain to right that in the first place!!

Dwane
yep, diddo matey.
Makes you wonder who it really is with the little brain?? :-/

Matt Tyler
18-02-2007, 10:01 AM
You would just want to cry ey, poor blokes

Black_Rat
18-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Won t happen i got some common sence;)

I ve seen this happen many times you just gotta laugh

wildone, I can only assume you have lauched your boat at Waddy :-/ if you have one ?

I haven't launched there ;)

"common sense" ...? common to who ?

If you were there would you offer assistance or just sit on you thumb and laugh ?:-X

tuskie
18-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it makes you wonder about people who get a kick out of other's misfirtune.

I have launched and retrieved at Waddy a few times and each time it is a relief to get the rig loaded and up high and dry. These guys look to me to have a new rig and I can tell you that in those big swell conditions they don't have be doing something really silly to get stuck. A slight misjudgement is all it could have been.

Jewienewie's suggestion about dragging the boat up high and dry before loading is a good idea with a 14 footer. I'm not sure how well it would have worked in this situation with a big heavy 20 odd footer and a steep soft beach.

I hope the boys get lots more uneventfull beach launches and catch heaps of big reds.

Tuskie

luckyone
18-02-2007, 05:57 PM
yea that is bad luck. and it can happen so quick. i got stuck in calm waters at a sand launch once, and the 4x4 sank as i walked back to launch the boat.
the sand was hard as till you drove on it and it just went too puss in seconds.
but i was lucky as my mate was in front and pulled me out quick.
so dont be real quick to judge a situation it can turn and bite u where you sit.

so chears and beers;D ;D

Awesome
18-02-2007, 08:41 PM
..........DOH...........

samson
18-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Been there done that 2 days before Christmas at DI a couple of years ago at low tide at 8:00 at night no shore dump mate just took too long putting boat ontrailer in wind - too much weed onthe beach turned sand to mud without support vehicle I had to rely on the only person on the beach for a snatch out but to my disbelief he told me to find someone else as he was about to eat a roast dinner his missus had just about cooked. After bribes and begging he still wouldn't change his mind so I tried the beach recovery guys at Rainbow but they won't go down the beach at night. I guess Home & Away on telly was more important as they said call me in the morning - a bit late though after a couple of tide changes, just had to sit and watch car get swallowed up hours later.

As for Wildone and his common sense remark I have beach launched commercial line fishing this area and others thousands of times but unless you want to pay the extra $200 in petrol dragging a support vehicle up there every time, which doesn't make it viable, there'snot too much you can do in a situation like this when you're loaded with fish, ice and a big rig. Sure you can have extend-a-bars, winches, solid wheel mats to help but when shit happens it tends to happen fast and when no-one is around.

P.S. As for the bloke who wouldn't help it would have taken 2 minutes and earned him a couple of hundred bucks but some pricks have no morals. I know people such as myself go out of their way helping fellow fishermen up there in siutations such as this, I even had the pleasure of unhooking my boat to help out Greg Lamprechts friends in their support boat in a similar situation one time but I guess some people get born and bred backwards and don't look out for anyone but themselves.

Regards
Samson

luckyone
19-02-2007, 03:13 AM
well said samson thats wats supposed to happen;D ;D ;D ;D

lunatic
19-02-2007, 06:28 PM
as for the big car little brain remark, one would have to have a little brain to wright that in the first place!!
Dwane

I agree.

The poor bugger is having a crook run of luck already. A remark like that is just thoughtless and cruel.

All he wanted to do is launch his nice boat from the beach with his nice car.

I think "big car little brain" smacks of jealousy.

Give the poor bloke a break.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Lunatic

Reefmaster
19-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Gotta feel for the lads in that situation. For some of you who think these blokes are a little less human then others I would assume that you have not often beached launch a decent sized boat or have no spine. Things can turn pretty nasty in a very short period of time and even after the hundreds of beach launches I have done I don't think I feel any more confident then the first few. I have been very lucky and come very close to having some major mishaps but unlike samson we were lucky to be saved and have the support of some nice on lookers who seem keen to help even before the bribe of some REDS in return was made. There are certainly some ideas, which can help prevent or lower the severity of these situations, but sometimes it's not an option.

Samson - You’re a legend for helping my mates out and it's good to see blokes like yourself willing to help others when in need. (Just a quick question but- who were my mates? what boat was it? lol):-/ :)

Here are some pics of a dive boat at Double Island Point, which had a bad case of timing. As you can see in the first photo there was next to no water when he reversed down to the waters edge but as you can see in the following photos there was a massive surge of water after a severe beach dump which caused the problem all at the worst time possible. This happens all to often at DI these days so we have opted for the ramp launch and go out through the bar before we end up in the same way. Fraser is a little different to this but as seen in this topic it can happen all to fast.

Regards,
Greg

samson
19-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Greg don't know the blokes names saw him on the cover of B&B with a 15kg odd red a few years back on one of your first exploratory trips out wide a fairly solid bloke mid to early 30's with a bit of bum fluff on the face his mate a bit older, the boat i'm not sure on it was dark at the time some type of half cabin glass boat 5.5m in size, i saw you boys rock up the main beach from the ferry an hour or so later, i was offered to tag along but didn't want to get in your way

Cheers Samson

lumox
20-02-2007, 07:48 AM
sad sight hope it wasnt a work vehicle.

Deiter
20-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey Wildone, no brains and no balls. Now runalong, i think i hear mummy calling you, must be time to get your nappy changed.8-)

JEWIENEWIE
21-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Wildone, sorry mate, yur right yu have got to much common sense, i know this because common sense would be not to make anymore posts on this subject which you have not.
Jewie

Baycruiser
22-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Wildone.........you're a jerk!!!

BAR UP
22-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Hry wildone has the cat got your tongue entertain us some more.:D

backlash08
23-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Terribale luck - been so close to the same outcome a few times and its not fun!

timddo
23-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Can't you use those quick retrival methods. The ones with a plough anchor on the sand and winch. ???????????

Reel Magic
23-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Feel sorry for the bloke,

must have made a mistake,

Wildone, ever heard of Karma!!!, you are obviously not human, how could a human being possibly wish that sort of luck on another, I actually feel sorry for you and your state of mind.

Ryan.

vertico
25-02-2007, 05:50 PM
bad luck or stupidity ?
we will never know .

As for everyone jumping down wild1's throat for his personal opinion, go hook up your boat and go fishing. I think you take things on this chat forum a bit toooo seriously and need to chill out. Wildone has launched several big boats in the surf off waddy point and knows what he is doing but as Reefmaster and everyone with half a brain knows, shit usually happens and quickly when noone else is around.

Badluck to old mate with his truck, which i hope was salvagable.

Lucky_Phill
28-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Just tuned in.

I will add my bit.

I have beach launched at a few beaches in my time with boats from 4mtr to 6.2mtr. I have used extended draw bars and not. Different vehicles.

One experience was at Double Island Point, Greg may remember, and upon returning to the beach it had a huge shore break. We managed to get the 6.2mtr platey onto the trailer with sheer luck I reckon. We had a 3mtr draw bar and a Diesel Rodeo to pull her out. But the swell was so big that when the surge went out there was NO water behind the trailer wheels and when it come in , it hit the front wheels of the rodeo. Bad, real bad. With persistence and the assistance of 4 onlookers ( that's 7 people shore based in all ), the skipper ran the surge and the boat ' plonked ' itself on the trailer about 2/3rds the way up. The 4BY driver then punched it and we got out. What we actually did was have the boat moving towards the beach and trailer at the same time we were backing the rig down, so in effect, the trailer hit the right depth and the boat hit the trailer within a second or two.
This accounted for us NOT sinking, as I said a lot of luck but we ( 4 of us ) had numerous experiences with beach launching from Waddy Point and other beaches.

You are NOT born with experience and even as Greg elluded to, you can never get used to a beach launch, particularly in a big rig.

There will be many people tell of ways to stop what has happened to the folk here and I will offer one that hasn't been mentioned. On ocassions, as Samson may know, the beach at Waddy is usually good to launch from. There has been times when it is necessary to launch at high tide, this is a bugga. So at those times I reverse the trailer parallel to the water and at the last minute I jack-knife it. What this ends up doing is putting your trailer in the water in the correct position but your vehicle is still almost parallel to the water. The effect of this is that once you start to drive your vehicle forward it " pops " one trailer wheel out of the softer sand. You'll have to picture that. It also has the effect of having all 4 vehicle wheels on the hard sand. This is only to be used with an extended drawbar.

During a Fraser Island Expo we launched the big platey just about everyday. We saw numerous people get into trouble. Thing is there were many others around to assist. I am not saying we were experts or anything remotely similar, BUT, we had no probs, WHY..... we drove the platey onto the trailer, thereby reducing the time the trailer was in the water to about 30 secondS. We also had the boat unhooked ( only a paynter tied on ) for the launch, again, a less than 30 second job, in fact, from the time the trailer wheels hit the water to being back on dry sand would have been no more than 15 seconds, seriously. )

The folk that got into trouble were winding their rigs on. Worst effected were the guys using electric winches ( we all know how slow they are ). OR the launching guys were backing down and starting their motors while still on the trailer. Time, time way too much time.

All this comes with experience and sometimes it just happens.

Before I even ventured into the world of beach launching, I had a long chat with Bill Corten. You really couldn't get any better advice than that.

All IMO.

Phill