PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Holiday

ON-THE-CHEW
14-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Looking for ideas for a fishing holiday around the end of april/may. Will be having two weeks off so driving distance isn't to much off an issue within reason (live in Brisane). Will be going with a couple of my mates and taking my 20ft yalta 555.

Have been to Harvey bay heaps of times land based and know of heaps of places to fish there even in rough weather, only 3.5hours drive.

1770 went up there a couple of week ends ago to scout it out, good access to outside but not to many other options if the weather is shit the whole time, 6 hours drive.

Also thinking of maybe Hichinbrook as well, I know its a lot further but I think it would be worth the drive, sugar loading jetty, plenty of creeks/rivers etc, protected from the reef so outside access should be fairly good most of the time. Also close to alot of good fishing spots 100k north or south. After an approximate travel time (towing boat).

Any other ideas or suggestions muchly appreciated, please take into consideration the size of my boat and possibility of varying weather conditions.

Andrew

sarg
16-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Grab the latest bush 'n' beach its got an article on hichinbrook in it.

Andrew

Raesen
16-02-2007, 04:29 AM
Went to Illuka (northern NSW) late last year for a couple of weeks. Camper trailer and small tinnie - fished the river. About 4 hrs from Bris.
Guy next door at camp ground had bigger boat and would go outside of a morning and back in the river if it blew up.
You might want to do some research on that place. Yamba is on the other side of the river.
Quiet and had a great break. Great place and I look forward to going back this year and will stay longer.
Pete

BobbyJ123
16-02-2007, 06:27 AM
How about this area, north of Mackay? There is a 3 lane ramp for access to the southern end of the Whitsunday islands, 26 km away
Accom at Cape Hillsborough Resort in the National Park and in Seaforth.
http://www.fishingonline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay/Fishing/Seaforth.htm (http://www.fishingonline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay/Seaforth.htm)

skippa
16-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Andrew,

Go the Whitsunday's, great place to fish with so many options. We went there last year thru June July with the only problem then the boat show was on at Abel Point Marina, which as a result limited the ramp facilities there.

We where able to get out around the 'outer' whittys Islands too, being fortunate to have very good weather. In fact most days you could of skied across to Hayman Island. I went with the missus then so it was not all fishing we had to do some 'sight' seeing too... that reminds me .. plenty of back packers up there too.

Take up your snorkel gear too, when you get sick of fishing, there's plenty of reefs to entertain you with flippers and goggles. Plenty of accommodation with caravan parks and units along with a coupla supermarkets with Brissy prices and from memory a bws as well (but no shortage of pubs either)

All up it took me a 12 hr drive from Redlands towing my 18ft Southwind. Don't forget the camera/video. Magic place.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

FNQCairns
16-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Whitsundays or Hinchinbrook or both!

cheers fnq

snakecatcher
16-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I am also going to recommend seaforth (45mins north of mackay) - it has a great boat ramp, easy access to the offshore islands but also plenty of creeks if the weather is a bit rough.

The town also has a bowls club which serves counter lunches on a Friday/Saturday. There are also a couple of takeaway outlets and a camp ground

Heading up there myself on the 26th Feb - we stay in a CWA house only a short stroll from the bowls club.