PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Hobart

WOOF
14-02-2007, 04:30 PM
So, its time for a work change and I'm heading to Hobart.
Can anyone offer any advice as to the fishing and a good place to live?
My new office is in Bellerive.

Luc
14-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Can't help you with fishing stop etc...

All I can tell you is to buy bloody good outdoor wear.

Hope you do well.

Luc

snelly1971
14-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Not real sure about the fishing down there...but i would be more than happy to catch up sometime and take you fishing from Strahan...Cheers Mick

blaze
14-02-2007, 09:35 PM
good spot to live, let me see,yes, Smithton You will just have about a 4.5 hr drive to work. How far do you want to travel to work, its nice down the Huon with a good highway right to hobart. What sort of fishing are you chasing, good game fishing down around hobart and up the east coast. Catch things like flatties that are normally in plague proportions as are the big black bream. Tassie's trout fishing is rated as some of the best in the world
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
14-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Mifton Blaze get it right...sorry only joking.....as Blaze said down the huon is a great spot..about 30 to 40 mins travel to town with the relaxed country life style....you would be about 1 hr drive to dover from huonville which is a great fishing spot for just about anything...

rivermanau
15-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi, I grew up in Hobart and lived in Bellerive, have only been back on visits to family over the last 20 years
Realistically Huonville and Channell area is nice, if a little cold and wet in winter, but too far and not a realistic option to commute each day. Bellerive is on the Eastern shore and the Tasman bridge is a commuter bottle neck. There are plenty of nice areas on the eastern side, you could go up the bank of the river Lindisfarne and points north, or head east towards the surf beaches and inlets of Lauderdale and South Arm. Cremorne would be sweet if you can afford it. However Bellerive itself has some good streets, The Bluff area has a lot of Victorian era houses with great views, I grew up fishing from the river headland there, apparently there are still fish to be had in the river.
Rob

rob tranter
15-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Just visited the place in Jan Hi Mick and Blaze,
Seen a fair bit of the place, Other than living on the water front in Hobart, Bellerive looks good in parts and not far out of cbd, but a bit firther out, 15k's from Bellerive is Richmond, great spot.
Thats my 2 bob's wirth from up here in Gods own backyard Coutts Crossing NSW
Good Luck
Rob

cbs
15-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Anywhere around Battery Point or Sandy Bay....

How much you got to spend?

BilgeBoy
15-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Cheer Up!!!

Taipan
15-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Bellerieve is a nice place, like riverman said the bluff area is nice with some great fishing of the rocks at the bluff itself, especially when the aus salmon are on the run. trolling slices from the bluff round to the tasman bridge will pick you up some salmon and the occasional sea run trout.
We used to fish, i think its called nutgrove beach in sandy bay, the one with the concrete boardwalk round it, catch heaps of flatty, the problem is catching legal flatty.
Heaps of places to chose from down there.

WOOF
15-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the friendly responses guys.
I'm currently looking at renting a house down at Clifton Beach which sounds perfect....on acreage, decent sized house and they will take my husky dogs!
I'm so looking forward to getting down there, sure the weather will be cold but thats half the adventure.
The fishing looks good all over Tas from the lakes, to the rocky coastal shelves, to the 'just' offshore deep.
I'm looking to rent for a while and then see if I like the place and if all goes well will probably buy by the end of the year.

tunapikus
15-02-2007, 06:19 PM
too cold to fish down there

blaze
15-02-2007, 08:26 PM
too cold to fish down there
To cold be buggered, we breed them tough in tassie.
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
15-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I second that Blaze.....best fishing.....and no problems with water here....especially with the west coast....i find the heat horrible.....its easy to get warm...but hard to get cool....any way give us a buzz when you arrive woof...i am sure you will fall in love with the layed back lifestyle...cheers Mick

rivermanau
16-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Woof,
Clifton should be fine for starters , its an easy drive into Bellerive, little bit of traffic in the morning I guess these days. If you are into surfing the northern end of Clifton is good, also the Wedge and other beach breaks off the South Arm road. There are often schools of salmon hanging around the rock headlands in that area and flathead and salmon in the Cremorne lagoon
Rob

WOOF
16-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks Rivermanau,
I dont mind a paddle on the surfboard, and also enjoy a beach fish.
Clifton looks ok!
Thats a big lagoon down there too......you said there are flatties and salmon in the lagoon.....whats the inlet like for a fish near the mouth (and to get outside) thats runs up past Cremorne?

madman1
16-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Dont do it WOOF.

Come to Mackay with me.

rivermanau
16-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Woof re the surfing you'll need a 4mm wettie, you are in for a bit of a surprise if you come from somewhere warm. On the other hand the water temp doesnt vary much between seasons, its quite possible to enjoy surfing all year round if you are up for it. There are also point breaks at Lauderdale, Mays beach and Seven Mile beach and across the lagoon mouth at Cremorne that are just as good as the Queensland ones. but they are one day wonders when the swell is big in the ocean. Back to fishing, the outlet of the lagoon at Cremorne can yeild a fish or two, easy to walk the tidal edge with a light rod. As for me I'll take up the offer and go to Mackay for the barra!
Rob

snelly1971
16-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Should be here now....been bloody hot here for a week.......hitting the 30s nearly everyday.......yes guys...the sun does shine in Tassie....

snelly1971
16-02-2007, 04:51 PM
This is what you have to look forward to...

bugman
16-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Woof,

Moved from Brisbane to Hobart last year in June. Funnily enough own the FResh Fruit Market at Bellerive an another gourmet supermarket over on the Western Shore.

My fishing has been curtailed because of the businesses but have done a bit.

We'll catch up I'm sure.

Brett

WOOF
19-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Sounds good Brett.

eotbmg
19-02-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife and i did a month in Tassie in Feb. 2005 and mate we had the best weather. Only rained for one day. If you get a chance get out on the Derwent and chuch a few softies around for those big black bream. We got 19 for the day biggest going 45cm smallest went 40cm.
Cheers
Ben