PDA

View Full Version : water spout in Moreton Bay

Kleyny
14-02-2007, 03:43 PM
i don not know if this is the right area.
But i saw a good size water spout in the middle of Moreton today around 1pm.
it was heading north from around the mouth of brissy river. i was having lunch at nudgee beach when i saw it.
it went from the water right up into the clouds.
what a sight.
i have never seen this sought of thing in Moreton before, are they common?
i did get photos of it and will post as soon as i get them from my friends camera.

Neil

propdinger
14-02-2007, 04:11 PM
mate there very common in the bay

zigfreed
14-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Neil

Seen a few further south down on NSW north coast over the years. Pretty freaky if you let them get too close, not to mention dangeous, funny thing is when they hit land they blow out.

Apparently it has something to to with sea surface temp v"s upper airstream temp, creating the vortex you see, where the ocean water gets sucked into the sky.

Can't really remeber, must have been at work too long today............................

no fish at work.

DaMaGe
14-02-2007, 06:09 PM
OMG, hurry witht he pictures, can't wait.

Black_Rat
14-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I saw my first water spout in real life last year. Pretty awsome site to see how much water they do pick up :o

Dignity
14-02-2007, 06:43 PM
hopefully they rain fishes and crabs;D ;D ;D

I installed a pond many years ago (before the reality shows that had to have a water feature) and filled it with water and left it for a number of weeks before adding plants etc. When I went to add the plants I noticed small fish which later grew into nice gold fish (before the kinfishers moved in). The only thing I remember was that there was a storm soon after I put the water in - is it possible some eggs or small fish picked up by something similar to a water spout

Marlin_Mike
14-02-2007, 06:47 PM
saw it on channel 10 news.....awesome sight

Mike

trueblue
14-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Whenever you see a good storm front cloud coming, look out for water spouts. I get to see about 20 or so a year offshore in the South China Sea where I work.

The water spouts usually start at the cloud level, near the leading edge of the frontal cloud. It starts at the top, and works its way down. Once you recognise the signs of one beginning, you can watch them start and then finally touch down on the water.

Only about 10 percent of the ones that I've seen 'try to start' actually make it down to the water, but they are very impressive to watch as they touch down and start to suck water up off the sea.

Cheers

Mick

Black_Rat
14-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Whenever you see a good storm front cloud coming, look out for water spouts. I get to see about 20 or so a year offshore in the South China Sea where I work.

The water spouts usually start at the cloud level, near the leading edge of the frontal cloud. It starts at the top, and works its way down. Once you recognise the signs of one beginning, you can watch them start and then finally touch down on the water.

Only about 10 percent of the ones that I've seen 'try to start' actually make it down to the water, but they are very impressive to watch as they touch down and start to suck water up off the sea.

Cheers

Mick

Yeah Mick, I thought you would only see them in stormy weather but on this day it would have been blowing 10 - 15 knts, sunny weather with scatted clouds, it was a real surprise to everyone on board :o mother nature in her unpredictable display. It started from the only large cloud in the sky with very little grey about it

snapperbug
14-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Never seen one in Moreton bay, saw this one at Newcastle at New years. It didn't appear to touch the water but was still pretty impressive

brrbear
14-02-2007, 08:57 PM
heres a few

Poodroo
15-02-2007, 05:32 PM
That's just one of nature's marvels eh? As awesome as it would be to see one I'd rather not be on the water when there is weather patterns generating them.

Poodroo

Silent
15-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I saw small water spout on my home way from Mud Island last week...
It's awesome slight...

Ozwald
16-02-2007, 03:39 PM
So what happens if your dumb enough to sail your boat through one? A major car wash type effect or more serious damage?

SgBFish
16-02-2007, 04:03 PM
They are quite common this time of year in the bay when conditions are right. Very few make it to the water but when they do the cloud fills with enormous amounts of water and when they cross land it EMPTIES.

JoeQ
11-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Never seen one in Moreton bay, saw this one at Newcastle at New years. It didn't appear to touch the water but was still pretty impressive

i have sore one started at the weter frist and got to de about 7ft at the then it disapeard at the ride boate ramp in sydney last years came from no where. didnt have camera handy lasted about 30 to 40 cen but the best thing it wos about 6ft from the boat .the sound wos realey loude. that wos the only one i have seen
cheers

Grand_Marlin
11-03-2007, 06:14 AM
G'day Ozwald,

I saw a lot of them in Cairns ... I was told that they are like a mini cyclone and not to go near them.

I would love to know exactly what they are like if a close encounter has been had by anyone??

Cheers

Pete

kingtin
11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
hopefully they rain fishes and crabs;D ;D ;D

I installed a pond many years ago (before the reality shows that had to have a water feature) and filled it with water and left it for a number of weeks before adding plants etc. When I went to add the plants I noticed small fish which later grew into nice gold fish (before the kinfishers moved in). The only thing I remember was that there was a storm soon after I put the water in - is it possible some eggs or small fish picked up by something similar to a water spout

It's more likely that the eggs got there from the legs of a drinking bird. Goldfish eggs are adhesive and can be moved from location to location by the legs of wading birds. Goldfish lay their eggs amongst aquatic vegetation to which the eggs adhere. If some of that vegetation (such as hornwort, cabomba etc) is in flower (above water) the eggs can also be windblown.

kev

Sean
11-03-2007, 08:56 AM
my question is: if they suck water up really fast, then empty as they cross land, is that like a bucket of water type thing or just heavy rain? Is the rain salty then? Sean

Chezzy13
11-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Wow top piccies there, amazing, Iv never seen one in real life??
Good stuff..
Dont think I would like to be too close to it though..

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w123/Chezzy71/3d_5_ogon3-2.gif