PDA

View Full Version : best bait for carp?

leeshy_louie
13-02-2007, 09:27 PM
just curious what the best bait for catching carp is?

Poodroo
13-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I found this link to have some info on Carp fishing. Hope it is of use to you.

http://www.carp-passion.com/Bait/Bait.htm

Poodroo

Fish Guts
14-02-2007, 01:27 AM
some left overs from the kerrigans. probably some well done charcoaled beef would do the trick.

moses06
14-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Maggots mate.. lots of maggots. Very popular bait in UK for carp fishing. Probably the only place in the world that worship carp.
'Kelah', king of Carp in Malaysia eat fermanted oil palm fruit.

el_carpo
14-02-2007, 05:26 AM
A cheap and effective bait is canned corn. I like using short shanked hooks (VERY sharp) loaded with corn kernals. Toss out some kernals to lure them in and cast your bait into them.

In shallow water, look for "mud puffs" (they disturb the mud as they feed), small bubbles, and even their tail. These are signs of feeding fish. When you see these, cast a few feet ahead of them. They'll find your bait. They have an excellent sense of smell.

I like to use the least amount of weight as possible while carp fishing. They are very skittish and if they feel resistance, they'll likely drop your bait. My favorite tactic is to use a float with a longer than necessary amount of line to the hook and no weight (example: in 3 foot of water, have 5 or 6 feet of line between float and hook). This allows some line to lay freely on the bottom and the fish feels almost no resistance. Watch the float carefully. It will twitch as the fish tests it. When your hook catches, the fish will take off. Set the hook. Remember to use sharp hooks! If the fish feels the hook and the hook doesn't "catch hold" it will toss the bait.

There are many good recipes for bait for carp. One, is to use a wheat flake breakfast cereal and water. Add some strawberry gelatin mix for flavor. They seem to like it. Also mulberries.

Good luck! They are pretty decent fighters. Especially the bigger ones.

bbm rick
14-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Yep, I will second the corn thing. I like to burley with breadcrumbs too.

Rick.

Chimo
14-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi LL

And a third vote for corn.

A twenty pound carp on light line is excellent fun, particularly off the back deck of a houseboat tied to the bank of the Murray River upstream from Mildura just on dawn; at least it was 25 yrs ago. Mda friends tell me the natives are back so I dont know if the big carp are still around down there?

Have fun catching them and if you get desparate and have a freshwater swimming pool to leave them in to clean out for a few days and then cook em up as cutlets with veges then layed in a shallow dish and left in the fridge overnight and then when you eat them think of England!

Cheers

Chimo

fish_on
16-02-2007, 08:45 AM
anything .they will eat anything. vermon. i hate em

frazzel72
17-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Dough made from flour and water. Worms work great as well but are generally considered to extravagant for these pests, but you might get an edible by-catch. They great fun to catch on light gear.

Tomo2
20-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Used to take the kids fishing at the lake in Forbes NSW. Found chester the chook 'tatoe chips very good.

rob tranter
20-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Had a creek full of the shit, and they roll over like stunned mullet once hooked. The only reason you fish for them is to turf them on the bank and let them bake in the sun while the ants eat them.
I must have had a different variatey as they don't fight at all, but corn is good to catch them with.
KILL ALL CARP FILLTHY VERMON.
They do squirm on a hand spear.
Good luck
Rob

choppa
20-02-2007, 09:55 PM
fishing the victoria river in shepparton vic,,, absolutely years ago,, we used corn,,, and had great success,,, but we noticed that the carp would rise and ""mouth"" the bits that floated,,

so after a few experiments on what floats and what wouldn't,,, we discovered that a smoke butt worked a treat as well,,, truly,,

and it would last at least 5-10 fish,,,, enough to enjoy another durry and rebait,,

i kid you not,,, we ended up burleying with corn,,, and fishing with winnie blue butts,,

those things will eat anything,,, but there great to catch pound for pound on light gear,,

experiment,,,,, you may find your own secret weopon,,,,, (broccoli????mmmm))

choppa

Murph77
25-02-2007, 08:17 PM
earthworms work a treat

T1
25-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys

I just got back from the UK and i'm still getting around to putting up a post about my fishing experience while in London. I will get around to it shortly but their version of SP's over there is plastic CORN. I've got photo's of this young fella who nailed a nice carp on one! Can't believe that Carp are a 'Trophy Fish' to the poms!
I did eventually manage to get one too but i got it on Jelly Pellet although in the main i was using maggots.

Take Care T

Obi _ Wan
25-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I was having a discussion with an old fishing mate about this thread about a week ago. He reckons the best bait for carp is a .22, yes he used to shoot them!
I would have thought a 303 would have been a better bet, but he reckons he used to get plenty.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan.

el_carpo
26-02-2007, 02:12 AM
;D Yeah Obi-Wan that would probably work too! A gun and a net! ;D
Saves big money on fertilizer for the garden I'd guess? Unless ya gets
busted for illegal discharge of a firearm or sumptin'.;D

On a slightly related matter, there are many folks who use bows and arrows to get carp as well. It's actually getting fairly popular. They attach a special reel to their bows that holds a heavy line that connects to the arrow. The arrow has a specific type of head on it too. I've never done any bowfishing but those who do seem to really enjoy it.

Incidentally, if you want a good laugh, try to find a good carp fishermen vs bowfishermen "debate." They are natural enemies. They make the lion-hyena relationship look downright cozy.;D A bowfishermen usually calls a carp fisherman a "carp nazi" and it quickly gets ugly (and hillarious).

One more reason to fish for bass.;D

JoshvL
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I use corn with a few drops of vanilla essence in the can, I also use white bread dough, its harder for them to get off when they suck on it.
I have also used mcdonalds french fries, they seem to work pretty well.
I'd recommend using as little weight as possible and as long a rod as possible. Keep the bail arm off so when they take it they just run and dont spit the hook. Enjoy :)

Another thing- if your into fly fishing, if you can get a fly that imitates a piece of corn you will catch plenty of carp, thats how i learnt to fly fish!

roydsy
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Earth worms... big fat juicey giant ones

About 10 years ago we used to line the banks with springers (50+ whippy bamboo/ tree sprigs with about 1.5 metes of line) and wreck havoc on them in infested areas. We would set the springers then cruise up and down the namoi river, and the noise of the motor would spook the caught ones and then us lazy people would check the springer.

I realise the 2 rod rule is/and should be enforced nowadays, but we could certainly give them a good hiding using this method with the right people. The sad thing is my uncle used to mince them all and eat them with his bubble and squeek..... yes bloody gross.

Pecker
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Yep Corn & worms do the trick. Years ago I was liucky enough to fish carp with a shotgun where the Murray drains into the sea in SA. As the tide goes out they are stranded in shallow water.
Everyone catch as many as you can as they are vermin.
Cheers
Pecker

ssab1
01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
carbide in a sweet corn tin.hear it works well.cheers alex

ssab1
01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
ps leave the label on the tin theyll come around to read it