PDA

View Full Version : Another accident

INDULGENCE
13-02-2007, 02:09 PM
This last weekend saw the annual Canada Cup spearfishing comp held out of Terrigal.This comp has been around for years and it appears it is becoming more popular.
Trust me these guys are a pain in the arse.They use quick boats with to many on board and charge around from one mark to the next dropping in the water to spear as many species as they can.

It had to happen simply because of numbers and the sloppy seas last Sunday, one poor spearo surfaced into the propellor of his mates boat. The unfortunate guy (the one in the water ) was airlifted off to hospital in a bad way,the guy driving the boat was left to wonder what he did wrong.This would be an awful position to be in for any skipper.

The spearos have closed ranks around the skipper and even I dont think it was his fault, but I wonder what would have happened if it had been a rec fisho run over a spearo given the agro at sea on Sunday morning between the 2 groups.

We were trying to spin up a few kings and bonito and about 10 boats maybe more came into the schools of fish to jump in and spear what they could.We gave them away as I was becoming lost for voice after yelling at these dopes for about 20mins and took off wide only to hear the call for help not long after we left.

I hope the organisers look at the problems associated with so many boats and so many spearos trying to compete with rec fishes as our numbers all continue to grow. I dont want to share my fishing space with spearos and I guess they feel the same about rec fishos.

Wally

DaMaGe
13-02-2007, 03:24 PM
It is a sad incident, and one that should be avoided. The organises of such events should have considered such an accident and perhaps came up with different rules/regulations to help avoid such an incident occurring.

But even with such rules into place accident do happen. Hope the guy pulls through.

camsharkman
13-02-2007, 03:31 PM
That's not good news! I haven't fished out of Terrigal for a couple of years now but I used to have dramas with the spearos even around the ramp.

nigelr
13-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I love to spear and line fish.
Out of common decency I avoid either other spearos or linefishers, the two activities are hardly compatible, IMO.
Pure common sense and respect for others.
As for the overloading of boats, someone would have to watch their liability fairly closely, I would imagine.
Very unfortunate accident, hopefully no long term damage.
Cheers.

roz
13-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I honestly think it should be first in best dressed.

If a fisho is there first anchored up and fishing, the spear fisho should simply find nother spot.

It should work both ways IMHO.