PDA

View Full Version : rareist/wierdest fish

deapsea
12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
wondering wat the rareist/wierdest fish uve caught has been
caught a guenard perch a while back
ugly things
triggers me to find out about these type of fish???

deapsea

Dignity
12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
5lb stargazer - it felt like a ton of bricks to bring in, wasn't sure at the time if they were edible and threw it back but just looking at was enough to turn me off eating it anyway

sam

disorderly
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Caught Pirahnas in the Amazon,not so rare,not so weird i guess, but sure are mean little suckers.Pretty tasty though.

cheers Scott

tigermullet
12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
5lb stargazer - it felt like a ton of bricks to bring in, wasn't sure at the time if they were edible and threw it back but just looking at was enough to turn me off eating it anyway

sam

Oh, my God - you chucked back the best tasting fish in the ocean??;D

Well, they are unless you break the large gall bladder.

Only ever caught two but they were outstanding.

tunaman
12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I once caught a mullet with a deformed head. It looked like it ran into a wall.:o

signed tunaman

snelly1971
12-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Same as Sam ...Star gazer..ugly looking beasts....

TIMMY 666
12-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I caught a stonefish a few months back at Military jetty. It fought like a clump of weed and looked like an old fish shaped piece of driftwood. I managed to unhook my sp and flick him back in the water, thankfully without being jabbed!

Tim.

snasman
13-02-2007, 12:21 AM
a stone fish on a pumkin seed sp at donnybrook about a month ago,they are one ugly nasty little bugger

el_carpo
13-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Here's a pic of a bowfin I caught last year. It's a freshwater species that dates way back to prehistoric times. I had no idea what I had when I hooked it. Fought like nothing I'd caught before. It hit a worm fished under a float.

Just look at that thing! Ugly as sin with a goofy face and the fish is no looker either.;D;D;D

Poodroo
13-02-2007, 06:44 AM
A Stargazer is definitely the strangest think I have ever caught and yes I did eat it. I am not that silly to put it back. ;D Something I catch often and isn't rare but strange none the less is the common soul or flounder. Only a mother could those faces. ::)

Poodroo

major-defect
13-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I've caught some frog fish up here and there ugly as and I definetly don't eat em.

Mattg68
13-02-2007, 04:39 PM
years ago up at Hervey Bay fishing out from Pt.Vernon I caught a fan-bellied leatherjacket, talk about butt ugly, I thought it was a piece of beef jerky. skin like a shark & tough as a rhino, have since found out that you can eat them but looking at it would make your stomach turn :P .

stark
13-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Caught an Octopus about 1.5M diameter when spread out at Black Bream Point, NSW. Took the hook and wasn't game to try and remove it near the beak.

Cut the line and had a discussion with him about re-entering the water. he wanted to stay and play.

Cheers
John

2DKnBJ
14-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Not really a fish but once caught a cray/lobster on a line.Felt like i was bringing up a besser brick.
Weirdest thing was the location.....Short Island down the Pin.

Cheers Dazza

snapperm8
14-02-2007, 03:10 PM
sum ugly bastards in sum of these storys :P

cheers dave

Dignity
14-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Caught an Octopus about 1.5M diameter when spread out at Black Bream Point, NSW. Took the hook and wasn't game to try and remove it near the beak.

Cut the line and had a discussion with him about re-entering the water. he wanted to stay and play.

Cheers
John

same here but off Caloundra on the reefs. Also caught a small blue ringed octopus down in tiger mullet channel at the pin one year, fortunately if fell off the hook while I ad it dangling over the side. it was in fairly fast flowing water also.

sharkbaithoohaha
16-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Hooked a Sunfish off the Goldcoast about 6 yrs ago.We estimated it to be around 250kg.Thought it was a marlin for about 2 1/2 hrs until we saw it.Got it to within 20 mtrs of the boat and cut the line.VERY weird fish but unsure how rare.

dogsbody
16-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I got a Manta Ray last week.