PDA

View Full Version : NZ/Lake Taupo Area landbased

Crumbo
12-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Greetings all,

I am lucky enough to be be going to NZ in March and we are going to be based near Turangi. I love lure and fly fishing and was wondering what are my best options regarding being landbased in that genaral area. ie some general areas of the lake or certain river areas where I may have a flick.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

shayned
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Craig,
Check out this link hope it helps, just don't mention cricket!!!
http://www.fishing.net.nz/

Crumbo
13-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks Shayne,

The site looks like it should help heaps.

NAGG
13-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Greetings all,

I am lucky enough to be be going to NZ in March and we are going to be based near Turangi. I love lure and fly fishing and was wondering what are my best options regarding being landbased in that genaral area. ie some general areas of the lake or certain river areas where I may have a flick.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Craig .... You're there! (Turangi) March usually still sees the browns (big browns) in the Tongiraro .... Call into the Sporting Life (mall) & the guys will give you the good oil ...... Hopefully you'll have a car as the river is so big with over 20 very well known & marked spots ....... Some of the very best spots are in the Town itself (Bridge , Hydro & Swirl Pools) ......... Just keep in mind that it is a big river with big flow & they use heavy gear (8 wts) .... There are several smaller rivers within 15 mins :-/ Enjoy the trip :) NAGG ...... PS a guide is a good investment ... but not cheap ($500-600NZ) .... I used one & it made a difference

Crumbo
13-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that great info NAGG.

I sure will drop in at sporting life there and speak to them about whats the go.
It also sounds like my 3/4 weight is not the go in the land of big trout!

NAGG
14-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that great info NAGG.

I sure will drop in at sporting life there and speak to them about whats the go.
It also sounds like my 3/4 weight is not the go in the land of big trout!

3-4Wt is just about under-gunned on any NZ stream:P ..... let alone a big river like The Tongariro (Deep & fast .... with big fish 6lb - 14lb:) common ) ...... The weather is the Key .... If you get rain , the fish will run up from the lake .... & a good congregation spot is the Hydro pool where a small stream enters on the far bank (This is a brown trout spawning stream ... The actual stream is closed to fishing ............... Unfortunately its still too early for the steelheads ... They come later during winter8-) NAGG