PDA

View Full Version : which type of lure suits awoonga barra

Basil2
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I am considering on going to awoonga in september, just looking for some advice on what type and colours of lures suit that dam any advice would be appriciated. Basil2

Awoonga
12-02-2007, 04:48 PM
September...is a way off mate...things change....What works now might not work then...Things like weed...Water levels temps....Ect...Put up a post closer to your trip....

mylestom
12-02-2007, 07:22 PM
I am considering on going to awoonga in september, just looking for some advice on what type and colours of lures suit that dam any advice would be appriciated. Basil2

Well heaps of them, but remember to upgrade the split rings and the trebles.

Halco, RMG, Viper, Classic and the list goes on.

Early in the day the silvers, then as then sun get up in the sky the gold. But all a personal choice.

Casting, trolling and a combination of the both will bring results. Lots of threads on Awoonga with all the details, just do a search and you will find all the info you need.

Next trip in just over a month and looking forward to catching a metre plus for the mate who has not done it before. Last couple of trips were very rewarding for the the better half and myself. Yes we do let 99% of our fish go. Maybe will catch one of them again.

Good luck and may you measure a metre fish.

Trev

NormC
13-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I've only fished Awoonga a couple of times (but there will be more). So far, I'm convinced that colour and type of lure is a 4th or 5th rate issue. As long as it has a good action and gets close to the depth where the fish are, it is likely to catch fish. Far more important are selection of the area to target, water temp, time of day, fishing technique, willingness to persevere etc. I haven't mastered all these things yet, but I'm learning a lot with each visit.

Certainly, some lures will fish better than others, but get too many of the other factors wrong and it hardly matters. Get the other factors right and lure selection is far less important.

I think we all (including me) sometimes focus on the lure as it is the easy thing to change. Just spend the money and it's done. The other things take judgement, experience and time to learn.

Of course, don't forget the other important factor. Luck!

But I do agree on upgrading splits and trebles (and very strong snaps if you use them). The only way to appreciate the power of these fish is to tackle one.

lorby
15-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Bring all deep diving lures red & black - Yellow & Gold fluro colours and troll between the boat ramp and the dam wall, from dark to about midnight or fish the old river/ creek beds during the day. most new sounders have the creek beds in their systems. also try to fish 3 to 4 days each side of the full moon for best results.

lorby

the_matrix
16-02-2007, 08:59 AM
[quote=NormC;576578] So far, I'm convinced that colour and type of lure is a 4th or 5th rate issue. As long as it has a good action and gets close to the depth where the fish are, it is likely to catch fish. Far more important are selection of the area to target, water temp, time of day, fishing technique, willingness to persevere etc. I haven't mastered all these things yet, but I'm learning a lot with each visit.
quote]

Your learning fast Norm.
All the points you made are correct, particuarily the perserverance and where you fish.
Lure colours catch fisherman, not fish. I continually/purposely change lure colours after landing a fish, and it makes no difference.
Barra are stimulated by many things, the very least is colour. You have already outlined more important factors, wind is also a very important variable, and often dictates where I fish.

As Awoonga stated, its far to early to call what lures to take to in September.
The conditions/temperature and dynamics of Awoonga change on a daily basis, so by taking deep diving lures in Septemeber when the dam might be going through a cycle could see you land a big zero. A deep diving lure in whatever colour is not going to be any good to you if the oxygen levels or temperatures are ordinary below a shallow layer.

Bring a selection, dont box yourself in with just bibbed lures.
Make sure you bring some plastics like slick rigs. They are a sensational fish finding tool, any size and colour from 100 to 130mm.
The beauty of slickies is that you can fish them in 2 feet or 30 feet with equally impressive results. Once you locate the depth the fish are in, whether its shallow or deep, your in buisness.

Keep an eye on this section closer to the date will also give you some tips.
Good luck!
Jas

Basil2
16-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys. I know september is a long way away but I need a bit of time to gather a much larger range of lures for my kit. I spent last weekend at Boondoomba fishing comp where I caught squot. I just didn't have a big enough range of lures,so this time I want to give myself every opportunity to catch a fish or two. Especially after reading all the great stories on this site regarding the awoonga barra. But thanks for the advice so far,If I collect a range of colours depths and actions I will possibly be in the ballpark. Regards Basil2

roydsy
16-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I most likely will be going back again to Awoonga sooner rather than later and have next to no barra lures... all bass, jack lures in my kit.

If any of you Awoonga regulars could only take a couple of lures what would you take...... models... colour less important?

I ask as I also want to slowly build up a barra assortment of lures and find getting a few every couple of weeks better to manage on the wallet.

spiderbite
16-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Roydsy,
mine would be the River2Sea Gecko deep 120 and Gecko shallow 120

Cheers

the_matrix
16-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Slick rig 110mm in any colour.
Catch's fish day and night in all depths of water in any conditions.
Jas

NormC
18-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Interesting on the Slick Rigs. Many people have success with them, but all I've got on them at Awoonga is Catfish. Probably retreiving too slow and fishing too deep??
What about the resin headed jig heads for a shallower depth. Some of them come with a large strong hook similar to the Slick Rig hook. I though I'd try them for casting around snags as they sink much slower and are in the strike zone (where ever that is) for longer. Also good for MJs for the same reason. Haven't tried them yet for barra though.

vet
28-02-2007, 05:48 PM
rapala xraps and barra magnums.

BR65
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Barra classics for casting

the_matrix
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Norm,
You dont need resin heads to fish slick rigs shallow. I fish them in 2 feet of water during cooler months, and you can run them even shallower.
Cutting lead out of the jig head enables you to customise the plastic to your required depth. You can also fish slick rigs straight out of the packet in 2-3 feet by using rod angles and a faster retrieve.
If you cut lead out of the jig head, dont do it like it was shown in a feature by a well known Bass fisho in QFM a month or so back. Cutting lead from the sides and front will make it become unstable and affect its swimming charecteristics.
Just simply cut lead off the back section, that way the stability bulb that fits in the nose will still do the job its meant to.
If you are going to fish snags ie timber, texas rigged slick rigs are perfect. Remember that a well exposed hook will catch every piece of timber it runs past, so by using a worm hook and a small lead at the front, you will be able to pull it through the thickest timber. I often use this set up, but as with all weedless/snagless rigs, hook up rates can suffer.

Reaction baits like squidgies work by passing through strike zones, as opposed to staying in them. Grabbing the interest of those fish, they then have to make a snap decision on whether to eat it or miss out. Much like a dog chasing a postman, they find it hard to resist. :)
Cheers
Jas

rob tranter
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Well heaps of them, but remember to upgrade the split rings and the trebles.

Halco, RMG, Viper, Classic and the list goes on.

Early in the day the silvers, then as then sun get up in the sky the gold. But all a personal choice.

Casting, trolling and a combination of the both will bring results. Lots of threads on Awoonga with all the details, just do a search and you will find all the info you need.

Next trip in just over a month and looking forward to catching a metre plus for the mate who has not done it before. Last couple of trips were very rewarding for the the better half and myself. Yes we do let 99% of our fish go. Maybe will catch one of them again.

Good luck and may you measure a metre fish.

Trev
I still can't do it, that is quote one section.

Anyway
Hi Mylestom
How long does it take you to get up there from down your way, this'll give me a rough idea on the time for me from Coutts
Rob8-)

mylestom
04-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Rob Tranter
Sorry to pinch trhead about 12hrs with a couple of stops.
Will send PM
Trev

Tezza@Tannum
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
As allready said, any lure to suit the conditions Halco, Viper, gold or silver or whatever it depends on where you fish water depth etc