PDA

View Full Version : Nose High

searchinthebay
12-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I have a Glascraft Marauder with an old 50 Hp Evinrude on it. At full noise the boat seems to be sitting very nose high. It is like it is not on the plane. I am not sure if the motor isn't big enough for the boat ar wether i need outboard wedges to try to tuck the engine further under the boat. In roughish water is does 19K's. Last night on the brissy river when it was calm we managed to get it up to 25K's but it still seemed nose high. Any Suggestions?

finga
12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Trim the motor in.
There should be a trim pin near the tilt tube.
A picture would be good if possible
:)

searchinthebay
12-02-2007, 11:38 AM
the trim pin is down as far as it will go.

finga
12-02-2007, 12:21 PM
How big is your boat matey??

DaMaGe
12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Some engine foils may have a different affect. Is your outboard fitted with them?

searchinthebay
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah i should have included more info huh. It is 14Ft and no to the engine foil. It doesn't seem to cavitate.

Roughasguts
12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
So is that a planing hull, or displacement hull, sweeping curve along the bottom that gets finer, not as deep in the water as the guts'.

If she's a displacement hull something close to a sailing shape, ain't no way to keep the nose down.

But then again if she's not a displacement hull, she just has the leg to deep in the water.

on-one
12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
My father had one about 25 years ago, just got off the phone to him and he said he used to get low 30s with a 50hp merc on the back

blaze
12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
could be a number of issues, over weight (possible water under sub floor), over proped, engine to low, not enough negitive trim. Some pics would be good
cheers
blaze

searchinthebay
12-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Finga has just came out and had a look for me. I need to pack out the motor to give it more trim. Thanks everyone for your help especially finga

finga
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Cav. plate is level with the keel and when the tacho is working we'll see if the prop is Okky-dokky. :)
Just looks like an earlier model transom bracket been put on at some stage and just needs a wedgie put in.
And if you look along the cav. plate the prop. end of the plate is tilted up with the trim pin right in. ie if you run a line along the cav. plate it would be about 2" lower then the keel line when it gets to the line of the transom. Does that make sense??
Ah, stuff it I'll draw a picture.
Sorry Charlie that it's not up to anywhere your standard mate :-[

Blackened
12-02-2007, 07:43 PM
G'day
Wow finga... LOVE the artwork ;)

Dave

2iar
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Ah, stuff it I'll draw a picture.
Sorry Charlie that it's not up to anywhere your standard mate :-[

But a remarkable likeness nonetheless, mate;D

Let us know how you go - I've been wondering if wedges would help at all on my rig...

Good luck,
Mike

BilgeBoy
12-02-2007, 08:56 PM
My Finga what big ears you have....

finga
13-02-2007, 03:40 PM
gees fellas...stop picking on me.
If it's not my spelling it's my artwork.
Like I said...I aint no Charleville
It's not me anyways. I have less hair and never smile.
My gut's that big and my head looks like a moon though ;)
Lucky I have big shoulders and can take it. :)
Cheers Scott :)
P.S. as an artist i know I'm a good gardener :)

Wahoo
13-02-2007, 03:58 PM
gees fellas...stop picking on me.
If it's not my spelling it's my artwork.

ROFPMSL

Finga, are the wedges all different sizes?
let us no how the boat went

Daz

Dirtysanchez
13-02-2007, 03:59 PM
OI, you lot leave my mate Finga alone, he done a good deed so don't give him a hard time :p

Actually mate you look a bit like Rex Hunt - or perhaps that was the heat frying my brain when you popped over ?

Russ

finga
13-02-2007, 04:06 PM
OI, you lot leave my mate Finga alone, he done a good deed so don't give him a hard time :p

Actually mate you look a bit like Rex Hunt - or perhaps that was the heat frying my brain when you popped over ?

Russ
Mate, I think I should have brought you over a beer or six if that's the way your brain fizzles in the heat. At least that way you could have blamed the beer ;D
Rex Hunt...un-bloody-believable. More like Freddy Flinstone or my mate Wal to the left a tad ;D ;D

finga
13-02-2007, 04:08 PM
ROFPMSL
Finga, are the wedges all different sizes?
let us no how the boat went

Daz
Don't know. :-/
Never needed to use them before.

Dirtysanchez
14-02-2007, 09:14 AM
No offence cobba, after all you've seen me, even my avitar looks better than me so I'm no expert :(

Anyway, weren't you supposed to be fishing this week with the armery of TLDs ?

finga
14-02-2007, 09:27 AM
No offence cobba, after all you've seen me, even my avitar looks better than me so I'm no expert :(

Anyway, weren't you supposed to be fishing this week with the armery of TLDs ?
The rod and reel went out yesterday....no screams yet :'(

Dignity
14-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Cav. plate is level with the keel and when the tacho is working we'll see if the prop is Okky-dokky.
love your work finga - put it on ebay, should get a packet for it

interested in the comment about the tacho not working - mine stopped working and should have done something about it as you might recall my motor caught fire. turns out, 1 of the rectifiers supplies the charging to the battery and the other supplies the pulse for the tacho. If 1 dies the other eventually burns out. I didn't worry about it because went more on how the motor sounded and felt, wont do that again as the beggar burnt out a lot of wiring and relays.

sam

searchinthebay
15-02-2007, 06:45 AM
put the wedge is yesterday . Tach will go in today will stick it in the water tonight and see how it goes.

searchinthebay
26-04-2007, 05:18 AM
I don't know if anyone was following this thread but last night i found out why it was sitting nose high. It helps to have the right Prop on your motor. It seems that we had a prop which i think must have been off a 35 on our engine. Put the right one on yesterday. Went for a run over to Peel Last night and the boat now sits beautifully in the water, Does 40Kph, and uses half the fuel.

finga
26-04-2007, 05:23 AM
beauty eh :D

searchinthebay
26-04-2007, 05:43 AM
I thought i might get a reply from you finga. We have been suffering 20KPh all this time and all we needed to do is change the prop.

finga
26-04-2007, 05:57 AM
That's why the tacho is so handy. :D
I'm really glad it all OK now. Time to explore wider and wider and the fuel savings would be welcomed I bet :)

searchinthebay
26-04-2007, 06:08 AM
shit yeah. I still have to fit the tacho but ATM still doing the new canopy and side clears, Then the new seats then the storm covers, then the windscreen brace then the....................................

Kiktz
26-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Scotty,

i didn't know you did a portrait of me

finga
26-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Scotty,

i didn't know you did a portrait of me
Ya dope, that's me.
Or is that you, the little short fella with the brolly?? ;D