PDA

View Full Version : Big Seas in big boats

Lone_Wolf
12-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I will never complain about big seas on the South Passage Bar again! Check these out...

LW

Marlin_Mike
12-02-2007, 10:45 AM
a typical moreton bay afternoon chop :)......................

Mike

SgBFish
12-02-2007, 12:05 PM
That was my guts on Sunday morning after too many rums.

bluefin59
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Looks more like a sub than a ship bugger that mate!!!!!:o :o :o :o

DaMaGe
12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
There are a few videos and the sorts on Youtube that can be searched including that ferry that left New Zealand and it looks bloody amazingly scary.

finga
12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Looks more like a sub than a ship bugger that mate!!!!!:o :o :o :o
yep your right....stuff that!!:P

petelaska
12-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Batten down the hatches

Brett1907
12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I think that I might actually get sea sick for the first time!!

And I'm sitting in my chair!!

Brett

slugo
12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
There is a lot of water in the ocean and we can only see the top of it ... But that captian would have seen all of it ..

Len

Wahoo
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
buggar that, you wana have good sea legs LOL

also like to know how many meters that last wave would push the ship of course. large volume of water there :o:o:o

Daz

Blackened
12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
G'day
that last wave wuld be the one I don't like.

Best way to wash the decks properly though:)

Still like to experiance that, just to say I did it :)

Dave

snelly1971
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Ive been on a fishing boat in 10m seas but nothing ever like that...crazy buggers.!!!!!

jimbo59
12-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah that's the typical north qld 2 foot chop

aussiefool
13-02-2007, 03:32 AM
I have been in a sea that saw Waves running the full lenght of the flight deck of HMAS Melbourne, .....Top stuff

blufish
13-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Also got this in an email a while ago.... This blurb came with it

"These photographs were taken aboard the Misener Steamships MV Selkirk
Settler as she crossed Lake Superior in typical November weather."

Cheers
Brad

PinHead
13-02-2007, 04:37 AM
"The storm pictures below were taken during a North Atlantic storm February, 13, 1987 on an eastbound passage from Tampa, Florida to Ghent, Belgium with a load of phosphates. The pictures were taken by Capt. George Ianiev, who was the ship's Second Mate at the time. The big blue wave was the largest wave the ship encountered during the storm; seeing it hit the ship made the vessel's master question whether they would survive the storm."http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/thumb/storm4_small.jpg (http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/thumb/storm4.jpg)http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/thumb/storm3_small.jpg (http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/thumb/storm3.jpg)

el_carpo
13-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Sooooo....

You're out in the middle of nowhere, the ocean is beating the hell out of your ship, your captain is a nut and you're probably thinking this is the end. So what do you do?------- Take some photos of course! ;D

Maybe he always wanted to be a photographer and figured, "It's now or never."

They are incredible pics, I'll give him that!

bigjimg
13-02-2007, 08:35 PM
The Captain addresses the crew
Could someone go and check the forard masthead light i beleive the bulb might have some water in it........ please.

Seamus
13-02-2007, 08:45 PM
OMG - How did it come back from the last one???:o :o If I didn't know that my fellow Ausfishers were such an upstanding bunch who were beyond reproach, I would wonder about the uses of photoshop. Bloody hell is all I can say

Seamus

CHRIS aka GWH
14-02-2007, 06:17 AM
reminds me of a certain search for a fabled eddie inside the pin bar with a particular wolf on the WRONG tide phase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snasman
14-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Wow they can have that to themselves.

Roo
14-02-2007, 01:01 PM
thats in a lake:o :o

[ EDIT: oops just read it isn't in a lake but too bad here's what i found]

I googled lake superior and read info on wikipedia about the lake. from there I looked up the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank in lake superior in 1975. apparently this type of storm is normal however it was suspected that a "freak" wave took her to the bottom. This wave was big enough to show up on the radar of another ship close by. Look for a link to freak wave and go from there!!!!! nasty stuff. Glad it wasn't me.

There was also a bit about how "lake superior never gives up her dead". As we know when a body decays, the bacterial activity cause gasses to float the body to the surface.......not in lake superior. the water is so cold it inhibits bacterial growth and so you're never seen again :P

interesting stuff.

cheers, roo.

cooky
14-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah that's the typical north qld 2 foot chop

good one :D :D

snapperm8
14-02-2007, 03:06 PM
nothing a 10ft tinnie cant get through..haha

roz
14-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Nothing there that my VC couldn't handle:o :o :o :o :o :o

fishingjew
14-02-2007, 10:53 PM
G'day
that last wave wuld be the one I don't like.

Best way to wash the decks properly though:)

Still like to experiance that, just to say I did it :)

Dave

And still be round to tell the tale:o

el_carpo
15-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Orbyroo,

That Edmund Fitzgerald wreck is a famous one. They even made a song about it a while back.

I was watching a show about the lighthouse and rescue teams that operated on Lake Superior back in the 1800's. WOW! Talk about bravery. They'd spot a ship in trouble and get into a large rowboat and try to save them. Huge waves covered in giant ice chunks. And they didn't have the cold weather clothing that we have today. Wool coats.

The rescue crews would send a man to walk the shores from station to station to look for bodies that would wash up. He would carry a shovel with him to bury them so you can imagine how often it happened. It took a heavy toll on the rescue crews too. One guy killed himself. It must have been a brutal existence. Those stations were in very isolated locations. Many miles from any town. And the job was so depressing and dangerous.

The worst part of it was that most of the wrecks should never have happened. The captains all knew that Lake Superior gets deadly in winter. The companies that shipped goods knew it too. The lake freezes over but before it does, it gets "slushy." They got greedy and tried to push through anyway to make that "one last shipment". It cost many lives.

The Great Lakes are huge. They're more like inland seas than lakes. All of them have taken lives. The most dangerous one is Lake Superior because of the conditions that it has at times. However, I believe Lake Huron has the highest number of wrecks. It is a shallower lake and the captains would hit underwater obstacles.

It is a popular vacation activity to visit the old lighthouses on the Great Lakes. I haven't seen too many (only three) but it was pretty neat. You get to see how they lived in the past and they usually have small museums set up to look through. The ones I visited were on Lake Huron in northern Michigan. Besides being an interesting trip, it was beautiful up there too. The smell of a pine forest, the beach and the sea breeze is pretty darn awesome. Especially for a guy from Chicago, where I breathe smog all day.

I know it's on the other side of the world, but there are some pretty interesting stories about the Great Lakes if anyone is interested. The founding of Chicago is a good place to start. A Google search of "Jean Baptiste Point du Sable" will work.

Scalem
16-02-2007, 08:23 PM
What? No deckchairs? Certainly not a cruiseship!

Scalem

Dorado
17-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I've crossed big waves than that getting out through the 1770 bar ;D

longtail
17-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Where were those pics taken LW ?

err......never mind::)