PDA

View Full Version : Possible Greenie at Gladstone Boat Ramp

MyEscape
11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Hello,

I might be wrong on this however today (Sunday 11 Feb at midday) at the boat ramp at Auckland Inlet, Gladstone (between VMR and the Sailing Club there was a woman doing a "survey" on fishing and "green zones".

At the time (just got the boat out of the water in a rush to get ready to go home) I didn't think a lot of it but she was asking questions like where did you go, did you release what you caught etc.

Had I been thinking a little quicker I know I should have asked the questions like "where are you from" and "who wants to know", but at the time I had more important things on my mind.

Anyone get similar questions?

Steve

thirsty merc
11-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Was she a younger woman steve , maybe a uni student doing something for an assignment maybe , just a thought ..................Rob

MyEscape
11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Good thought, must be going paranoid in my old age.

Steve

Poodroo
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Last year I was approached similarly on Fraser Island and I did ask who they were and the significance of the questions. Yes they were uni students in this case doing an assignment on Tailor and dart.

Poodroo

Matthias
12-02-2007, 02:06 AM
ASIO.

Pete.

Fish Guts
12-02-2007, 04:29 AM
had the same encounter with a lady from dpi at scarb. she asked if she could measure all my catch and ask where on a map it was caught (very very roughly) and she kept all the frames. the information was used for the dpi. didnt mind her being there as hopefully the information went to good use.

cheers
fishguts

nonibbles
12-02-2007, 08:18 AM
did she help you get the boat off the ramp?

finga
12-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Anybody with any real reason to ask these questions would have ID, showing name and organisation, shown at all times.
Did she ask if it was possible for you to answer some questions first??
If no ID then no answers. Simple as that.

el_carpo
12-02-2007, 09:04 AM
The Department of Natural Resources over here does the same thing. They asked me what I caught, what size they were and if I kept them. It's probably either the dpi or a student like the guys said. She should have told you what she wanted the information for and who she was working for though.

8-).....or she thought you were cute and was just trying to make conversation:-*. You can try again tomorrow.;D

Marlin_Mike
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
i have been asked a few tiems at ramps.

I ask them for ID, why they are doing etc. If they have ID and tell me who and why, I have no problems, I dont keep underies or over bag limits, so If its for a good reason, why niot?

Mike

Jeremy
12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
this might be the explanation........

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_4579_ENA_HTML.htm

Fish monitoring ramps up in 2007
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/Base/ico_newsletter.gif Newsletter
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/Newsletters/HookedFish-MeasuringMackarel-250_rdax_250x257.jpg DPI&F staff measure spotted mackerel caught by a recreational fisher in Moreton Bay. An increased presence of Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) staff at selected boat ramps between the New South Wales - Queensland border and Yeppoon has proved that Queensland's anglers are keen to assist in collecting information on fish species that will improve stock assessments and ultimately future fisheries management.
The Long Term Monitoring Program (LTMP) started the sampling two years ago, initially to collect information on spotted and Spanish mackerel. These initial projects have led to a recent implementation of a full-scale Recreational Boat Ramp Survey sampling strategy.
The latest addition to the program will include recreational boat ramp surveys run year-round. These will be used to collect information not only on Spanish and spotted mackerel, but also a wide range of species such as yellowfin bream, summer whiting, dusky flathead, snapper, pearl perch, cobia, tailor, yellowtail kingfish, teraglin jew, amberjack and samsonfish.
Initially, recreational boat ramp survey staff will focus on measuring the length of the key fish species from as many people's catches as possible. This information will be used in conjunction with other data collected by the LTMP and provided by fishers for assessing key fish stocks and ultimately determining whether current catch levels are sustainable.
Participation by recreational and commercial fishers is essential for the thorough and accurate monitoring of these species.
As well as providing the opportunity to collect valuable biological information on species important to recreational fishers, these surveys also provide a forum for communication between DPI&F staff and interested parties.

Grunter71
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a cunning way to find up to date information on what is biting and where!!!

stark
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Doubt very much it was a Greenie. They never bother to let facts get in the way of a good argument.

If Our Tassie friends Mr Brown & Co. want to make a statement about anything, asking questions and gathering facts would just get in the way.

cheers
John

They're coming to get me, they are!!!!

sleepygreg
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I have also run accross the young lady you are talking about at the scarbie boat ramp. As well as an older bloke doing the same thing. His name is chris and her name is kate.....and she aint a bad sort sort either....They are both with DPI and on both occassions had their ID on a string around their neck. I had a long chat with both of them that resulted in one of their colleagues doing a presentation to our fishing club on what they were about. please note that these guys and gals are also keen recreational fishos....though they are doing research...they are NOT enforcement officers...they are just trying to collect realistic info into the fishery as it is. They are not interested in political agendas..just collecting data on fish sizes, catch rates, fish ages,stomach contents, etc.
Having said all that...I totaly agree with a response of...before i answer your questions..tell me who you are and why you want to know.
Cheers
Greg

FNQCairns
14-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Nup, Information is a commercial quantity these days, $10 or $20 thanks (thumbs up).

cheers fnq

Mattg68
14-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a cunning way to find up to date information on what is biting and where!!!

yeh, that group of boats invading your favourite fishing spot next time is probably full of DPI staff. Although this sounds paranoid it's not out of the realms of possibility. I can say that this information wouldn't be collected for a warm & fuzzy feeling from doing their job but to be available to all government agencies (including our P.Beattie) for backup on closing parts of Moreton Bay.

Where does the line get drawn on 'too many fish being caught'. Its a grey area, especially with the increase in rec. fishing. Sooner or later the jig is up i'm afraid.

Luc
14-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Irrespective of research and GOOD scientific advice, the ultimate decision will always end up based on politics where the only mantra is

How do I get in power

AND

How do I stay in power

The best we can do is convince/show pollies that fishos are worth a lot of votes.

As far as taking part in ramp surveys, if I can't see official ID, they get no cooperation.

Luc

seabug
14-02-2007, 06:10 PM
"Nup, Information is a commercial quantity these days, $10 or $20 thanks (thumbs up)."

Yeah,so you would rather be paid?
Easy fixed
Government would just charge everbody more for fishing /boat licences and be glad to pay you.

Regards
Seabug

Jono_SS
16-02-2007, 03:32 PM
given the location (Auckland Ck, Gladstone), I would say the person was probably working for CapReef (see below). the DPI&F boat ramp survey staff have shirts with "Long Term Monitoring Program" on the back and a gov logo on the front.

I am suprised you gave up all your information then wondered LATER who you gave it to!

this is off the CapReef webpage. the group is run by Bill Sawynok (ANSA/SUNTAG etc) in Rocky, who I am sure a lot of you know and respect.

CapReef is a community based monitoring program set up to improve community involvement and knowledge in management of the Great Barrier Reef ecosystem.
Because the effects of the management changes were most significant on the fishing industry the focus of CapReef is primarily on fish and fishers. However the program is linking in with a wide range of other monitoring programs and research projects so that there is a broad knowledge gain.
While CapReef is a community based monitoring program, it has strong support from government and researchers as shown by the supporters of CapReef (as shown below).

bills
16-02-2007, 04:13 PM
See next posting.

bills
16-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I can provide some information on this. The young lady in question works for me as part of a community based monitoring program called CapReef. I manage that program and I am a recreational fisher like the rest of you - not a greenie. She does have a ID that identifies her as working for CapReef. We are collecting data on fishing catches in the Central Queesland area following the rezoning and changes to the reef line fishing plan in 2004. We provide feedback to local fishers on what we are doing and what is happening to catch rates etc. We want recreational fishers to be better armed with information next time changes are proposed. Better to argue with facts rather than fiction. Anyone that would more information on what we are doing can contact me on 1800 077 001 - its a free call.

finga
16-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I can provide some information on this. The young lady in question works for me as part of a community based monitoring program called CapReef. I manage that program and I am a recreational fisher like the rest of you - not a greenie. She does have a ID that identifies her as working for CapReef. We are collecting data on fishing catches in the Central Queesland area following the rezoning and changes to the reef line fishing plan in 2004. We provide feedback to local fishers on what we are doing and what is happening to catch rates etc. We want recreational fishers to be better armed with information next time changes are proposed. Better to argue with facts rather than fiction. Anyone that would more information on what we are doing can contact me on 1800 077 001 - its a free call.
Good on ya mate. Well done :thumbsup: