PDA

View Full Version : draging anchor

Seahorse
11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
last few times i have been out to either woody point reef or scarb reef, i have trouble holding anchor. i tried sand anchor and reef anchor. what is the best type of set up with chain size, chain length and type of anchor. really pis....g me off.

thanks
greg

seatime
11-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Regarding the Danforth anchors, unless the seabed is soft enough, I've found they do tend to drag, the flukes really need to extend right out for them to work.
Standard reef picks need structure to hold on, then the prongs have to be straightened to get them off.
Always, there must be sufficient chain to keep the anchor parallel to the seabed, and enough scope used in the anchor rope to keep the load horizontal, and prevent the chain & anchor lifting off the bottom.
3 X depth of water for the length of rope is a good guide for those areas.
2/3 to LOA of boat is a guide to length of anchor chain.

maybe a lead filled reef pick?

I like the plough type or Sarca anchors, they hold on most bottoms (seabed that is not the other kind).

DaMaGe
11-02-2007, 06:32 PM
A few trips ago I lost an anchor, I have since purchased a new anchor identicle size but it just doesn't hold. Maybe because I lost maybe 60cm of chain also but haven't had much time to work it out, just know that she no longer holds with the current anchor, this is rather annoying.

What is the amount of chain required per size of boat etc, there is an ole saying / rule of thumb about hos this works but I just cannot figure what it is.

Reel Nauti
11-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Some will say the length of the boat should be the length of chain, however I believe 3 metres is usually enough. Remember that the chain is there as a 'shock absorber' between the movement of the boat and the anchor proper. The length of rope you have out also comes to play, but the length of that anchor chain is very important.

Cheers

Dave

seatime
11-02-2007, 07:07 PM
3m of chain is probably OK for a boat 6m or less inside the bay, different story deepsea, where there may be swell, wind and current, all the ducks lined up.

the chain does absorb some shock loading from waves, but most importantly the weight of the chain holds the anchor in place.

Mr__Bean
11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
First and cheapest thing to do is grab an angle grinder and sharpen the leading edges of your sand anchor, this sounds so simple but it really does help it to dig into hard sand. Sharpen all along the edges that cut into the sand.

If that isn't enough, or not your thing, then I would look at getting a plough anchor. Sure you can spend big and get a sarca, but they are expensive. Not sure of the size of your boat but for around $40-$60 dollars you will have it fixed. Some doubt whether a plough anchor is the right choice, I say have a look at the bow of any of the large cruisers or yachts, they all use a plough.

See here: http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=349&search123=plough&intAbsolutePage=1

http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/349_lg.jpg

Seahorse
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
mr. bean. i have a 5.3m stacer runabout. i was thinking of the plough anchor. whats a sarca?

thanks everyone. i didnt think i was only one haveing this problem. is it better to have heavier chain?

cheers
greg

Mr__Bean
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
More information here, Sarca are about halfway down the page.

- Darren

http://www.biasboating.com.au/anchors.html

wayneoro
12-02-2007, 06:30 AM
guys i had drift probs; till i bought a bruce anchor as i often anchor up over nite staying put till morning is inportant nothing worse then waking up stuck on a sand bank had the bruce for a yr have never moved an inch

revs57
12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
g'day Greg,

I've got a SARCA with around 10 metres of 3/8 link chain on Flamin Riptide...very happy with that set up...only in the strongest current have I had a holding issue where the anchor popps and pulls into the next bit of reef structure. I have always been able to get the SARCA back even when its been occassionally stuck...I can highly recommend them

When I had the 4.5m tinnie I used a reef anchor with the prongs, but only turned the last 3-4 inches of the prong...the longer the prongs from the bend, the more flex and chance to pull out...also had a good 5 metres of chain

Cheers

Rhys

FNQCairns
12-02-2007, 09:02 AM
I have bought sand anchors that were out of true and would drag, couldn't tell by just looking at them on the shelf, every time they were thrown they would flop onto one side and skid along, I have one now it is an individual, if I had bought the one on the shelf next to it chances are there would be no problem.
If you get the opportunity watch it in 2/3m of water (or even in the backyard)and it will choose a certain side and flop along, bend to counteract and it should dig straight in.

cheers fnq

Seahorse
12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
hanks rhys. i will sus them out.

cheers
greg

No Tiller
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
We had a SARCA on a 6.8 boat. I think it would not roll over every now and then. Bought a plough it has been the best at stopping 2.5ton of boat. Make sure it has a breakaway we use fine guage wire and about10m of 3/8 chain. Have used this up to 85m and havn't managed to lose it yet.

Angla
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Greg,
The pic shows my setup with 5.5 metres of chain and 140 metres of rope. I also now carry a fisherman 7 sea anchor (parachute anchor). This does my 575 Outsider very well. I did have some heavier chain but found that I could not lift its weight very well so I changed to a lighter gauge of chain. All has been very well since.

Chris

Seahorse
13-02-2007, 06:23 PM
thanks for the effort chris. thats what i got at the moment, prob not quiet as much chain. i like sound of plough anchor..how does the anchor retrieval ball go?

greg

jeffrey_h
13-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Greg,
We were at Hervey Bay at Xmas and had the same problem with the normal sand anchor, it was the pebbly bottom. Very annoying, had to move elsewere. Then we brought a 15 lb (6.8kg) plough anchor which are far better. BUT make sure that it will fit into your bow rollers, won't hit the bow on the way up and you got the muscle to pull them up with 5 mts of chain. my son now drives while I pull it up, damm heavy some times to brake out.

Jeffrey

brrbear
13-02-2007, 08:05 PM
jUST A thought you didn,t mention if you use rubbers from your boat to the anchor rope.Also those anchor retrieve balls that lock onto the rope work well in taking a lot of the jerk out of the boat at anchor.
I use both in sloppy conditions or when on soft ground to avoid pulling the pick.
I think it can also help with seasickness.
Think about it the boat end is almost as important as the anchor end.
hope this helps bear

Dignity
13-02-2007, 08:45 PM
As reel nauti says 1m of chain for each metre of boat, generally up to 10m. I have a 6m boat and use 10m of chain, that lenght of chain is heavy when offshoring (I use a reef pick although thinking of getting a mooloolaba pick) although the anchor bouy takes most of the load and it is only the last 10m that requires habdling. Inshore use a manson plough anchor but do have an anchor winch to pull that beggar up. Have found that where I anchor in mud that the plough gets in and holds where as a sand anchor takes a while to bite but if at anchor overnight has a tendency to dig in even deeper but will also pull out easier. I have found that the length of chain has a huge bearing on holding bottom (once the anchor has dug in of course). Off shore on pebbly bottom or wire weed it does take time to anchor, sometimes several passes required.

If buying a plough always pay the extra and get a manson brand. The cheaper versions have a very sloppy knuckle joint and this will cause them to let go. Know a trawlerman and he uses a manson and changes them once there is a bit of wear in the knuckle, usually on a yearly basis. That is usually a good recommendation.

Remember the anchor works best when the shaft is parrallel to the bottom and it is the chain that does this, 1 - 2 metres of chains doesn't stand a chance.

wayneroo - what's a bruce anchor?