PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Boatie with Garmin GPS unit Onboard

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi Team.

For me to troubleshoot my Garmin 292 GPS, I am in need of anyone to test my unit out for me on their rig.

THey need to have the same/compatible power cable.

THey need to be living in the Melbourne Area.

All I need is for them to try it out for about ten(10) mins on the water and determine if it turns itself off.

Really appreciate a reply.

Thanks

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
What Garmin GPS do u have?

blaze
11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
navman, garmin sounder,

newchum
11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
billy if the gps is shutting down by itself i would be checking that the power supply to the gps was stable e.g. no loose connections,dodgy fuse holders, bad battery connections, run a new temporary power lead from the battery to the gps and test it

newchum
11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
if you are only looseing your satalites then i would check the connection to the head

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks boys.

No sats are lost - just power off always after 1, 2 min of operation on water - but does not turn off at home.

May try the new temp. power lead...

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Just one more thing, I need to re-iterate that whilst at home and wiht unit turned on, I wiggled the unit, took it off support and shook it for about 15 secs. I also wiggled the fuse, and re-inserted the power lead...still OK after all that.

Just wndering what a new temporay power lead woudl prove after doing above..?

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I have also learnt I am using SW version 2.30 on my GPS. The latest verison is 2.90.

So, obviously, my sw is way out of date.
Would this possibly cause unit shutdwon - as discussed?

Much appreciate a rpely

finga
12-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Did you wiggle and pull the power wire from go to wo??
Sometimes the wire corrodes inside the outer sheath and becomes a dodgy conductor with no obvious signs of problems on the outside.

finga
12-02-2007, 06:59 AM
It wouldn't be a software problem as it goes well when your sitting at home

Barnacle Billy
12-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Did you wiggle and pull the power wire from go to wo??
Sometimes the wire corrodes inside the outer sheath and becomes a dodgy conductor with no obvious signs of problems on the outside.

Thanks Finga.

How would a dodgy conductor show up whilst on water (power off all time) and not show up on dry land (power on all time)?

henryk
12-02-2007, 07:14 AM
engine on or off when on water?? ( running not just ignition on )

finga
12-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks Finga.

How would a dodgy conductor show up whilst on water (power off all time) and not show up on dry land (power on all time)?
Vibration, movement, bit of moisture etc etc.
Have you got the battery alarm on??
If so does it beep or buzz or do anything before the unit turns off??
Does the unit turn back on again on the water or does it stay off??

Barnacle Billy
12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Henry,

I only turn GPS on when I am udnerway (engine on). Maybe I shoudl try to turn GPS on without motor on and see how it goes...?

Finga, what is the battery alarm - is the part of the GPS setup menu?
No beep noises are heard when unit shuts down?

After it switches itself off, it stays off.
Can I not simulate the vibration of the boat by just wiglling the unit, etc - whilst on dry land?

BB

finga
12-02-2007, 08:02 AM
The alarm is in the menu. About page 70 of the manual.
Yep, try the gps left on all the time.
It's sometimes impossible to simulate fault conditions unless your have the all the same circumstances and variables. Leave out one variable and the thing may work good as gold.
By looking at the voltage getting to the unit may be of some benefit.
Is it possible to check the voltage at the unit and at the fuse panel when it turns off??
How does the unit receive it's power and what connections/joins are used along the way??
If there are any joins try tugging on them to see if they break free.

Roughasguts
12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Billy, I would be a dud conection either fuse holder or where it goes in to the back of the unit, those little pins and the sockets they go in to corode after a while.

Clean them up with some solvent, get the green stuff off.

Also hook up it's power supply straight to the battery, less static interferance from the motor and other electrics then.

I would also replace the fuse holder, the little spring gets useless after a bit of corosion and won't hold tension against that plastic holder, sometimes they get to weak as well when the boyonet fitting wears out.

You could road test the unit and stick it in the car for a few runs to work and back.

newchum
12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
billy,
to simulate running conditions you would need to trace the wires for the gps from the battery to the gps and then move up tug on them if the gps shuts down and you can turn it back on straight away , i think you have loose connection , if it is powered from a fuse panel check the main power lead that feeds the panel is not loose

Barnacle Billy
12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
ok. stand by