PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in a Green Zone? (Bait Reef)

Gary Fooks
11-02-2007, 12:28 AM
I watched Qld Weekender tonight and saw Deano catch a nice red throat at Bait Reef, at least that is how it came across. Did anyone else see it?. I thought that was a Green Zone.

Maybe one rule for us and another for the tourism industry?

Shane Boese
11-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Bait Reef is located on the Outer Barrier Reef, 65 kilometres NNE of Airlie Beach. Approximately 2,000 acres in size, Bait Reef is a special management area (SMA) zoned Marine Park “A” by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority. Reef walking, collecting, anchoring and fishing is prohibited, thus retaining the natural beauty of this marine wilderness.

Regards
ShaneBoese

kc
11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I saw the program too and yes Bait Reef is a green zone. I have asked the operator to clarify if he was actually at Bait Reef as it appeared on the program. Editing may have occurred.

Of particular interest is a case due in court in Cairns on 15th Feb where a rec fisher has been prosecuited soley on the evidence supplied by a tourism operator.

Will follow up when I have been advised of details as to the anchorage used by this vessel but from the description given in the program and then the daylight images used next morning when the fish was being cooked for Breakfast it is pretty damning.

Benifit of the doubt at this stage but the rules need to apply to tourism operators as well as fishos.

KC

tunaman
12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey! Lets just throw out all the rules and stuff this planet right up. Doing the right
thing is what all people should be thinking of. All for one and one for all, isnt that how it works.

signed tunaman