PDA

View Full Version : dryer Speeds ?

Lucky_Phill
10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Dryer from the States.

What I need to know now is what speed is suitable.

I have seen a dryer in action that does about 6-8 rpm and then again I have had advice that it should around the 11rpm.

I am going to be using Flex-Coat.

Further, should I put in place a ' variable speed ' system ?

Thanks

Phill

Bearclaw
10-02-2007, 09:52 PM
G'day Phil,
I will jump in first, dryer speed, wow that's like do we underbind or not, what finish to use. I have 3 dryers all different speeds, 3, 18, 36. all work fine as I turn my rods by hand for the first 1 hour, however if you are a builder who wants to slap on the finish and not worry about it sagging, footballing or going wavy over the area a slower speed is better, faster speeds will cause the finish to pull from the edges of the wrap causing more finish to acculate in the centre of the wrap causing a coat of finsih that has a football appearance.
11-18rpm is supposed to be the ideal the extra speed allows application of the finish while the rod is turning in the dryer.

I will shortly be doing a post (if I don't keep being distracted) on how to make your own dryer from microwave motor which turn at about 3-6rpm and a PVC end cap and a few extra bits.

wheezer
10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
got one of the locally made ones from freeway ordered it with 6rpm motors and its perfect for me. i use flexcoat high build mostly. long coverage areas eg decals are perfect every time...too fast and i think it will cause 'footballing' from the epoxy trying to fling off

finga
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Phil, be carefull of the supply voltages of the US stuff.
They use 110v and we use 240v
Have you found a picture of the butt yet??

Grunter71
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I modified a battery operated spit rotisserie from BBQ Galore. Cost about $50.00.

I think it turns at about 4 - 5 turns/minute.

It has always done the job for me.

Stuart
11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Phill

Most if not all the advice so far is on the money. But even with all this advice you still get differing opinions. So you can literally be back at the start. If you can get a variable speed motor Hare and Forbes in Brisbane sell them, then you are half done. A cheaper alternative is as already has been suggested mate, buy a rotisserie from BBQ and if at all possible put a pulley system on it so you’re not stuck with one speed. Being stuck with one speed is crap in my experience, I mean every rod, and every rod coating is different and in so needs a different speed. I could be coating chair rods today and then fly rods tomorrow, unfortunately the same speed won’t do all rods effectively. Coatings all differ in some way shape or forme, some hold up better to others some are just plain shit. If you cant do any of the above then try and stick with an RPM of around 14.

DR
11-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I modified a battery operated spit rotisserie from BBQ Galore. Cost about $50.00.

I think it turns at about 4 - 5 turns/minute.

It has always done the job for me.

i use a rotisserie from BBQs galore, $29 for battery power, $49 for electric.
then made a fitting from an old bolt, hit with grinder to make square & fit. put butt cap on other end.. a lump of wood to screw to bench for stability & a plate of scap ali i had laying around.. pics attached, works perfectly..

Lucky_Phill
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, bloody brilliant.

I'll flag the idea of importing one.

Might head to BBQ's galore and ponder elec or batt !

Cheers Phill

Grunter71
11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
G'day DR

Your pics look almost identical to my set up. Although, I did use a file to reshape the bolt head.

Those soft rubber butt caps are ideal as they will securely hold a variety of different size rods. In fact, I have been able to get away with the same cap for all the rods I have built, so far.

Also, if you can be bothered dismantling it from the rod building equipment, they can be used to produce a great roast beef!!!

tangles_48
13-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Phill,
If you're looking to buy dryer components try this mob - seem be reasonable.
http://www.therodworks.com.au

tangles_48http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif

dogsbody
17-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I have been known to use them square box fans and tape it to the centre. had no probs with dust.

Dave.

Lucky_Phill
18-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks to Scott, I have my dryer up and running ( as we speak ).
I went with the microwave motor I had here, Scott made up some ply and PVC. I screwed it together, and bingo ! I araldited the plastic wheel onto the motor and the sikaflexed soft rod gimble cover onto that wheel. It runs at 4.5 - 5 rpm.

I taped some stubbie cooler( wetsuit ) material to the end of the blank rod so it fits neatly, but not tightly into the gimble cover. I then cut a vee out of a cardboard box to use as a rest for the pointy end.

I painted on my first coat of Flex coat and it is drying. Pics in the next day or two.

phill

ps, thanks again Scott. !!

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2007, 06:01 PM
here are a couple of pics of the dryer.

phill

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2007, 06:03 PM
the blunt end of the rod

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2007, 06:06 PM
OH, and first effort placing rod into but cap.

finga
22-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Phil,
Nice butt there matey ;)
I'm glad it's all working well now :)