PDA

View Full Version : first wok

rickraider
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
i just bought a electric wok has anyone got any recipes .i love stir frys any help would be great..thanks

cheers rick

Sailfisher
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Rick

Here is one I use for prawns. I have modified it a bit as hubby does not like things too hot. It is one of the few recipes he will eat with plain rice as the sauce goes right through it. Yum!

Cheers

Mrs Sailfisher

Singapore Prawns
500g whole green prawns, peeled and deveined
Peanut oil
1/4 teasp minced bottled ginger
1 teasp minced bottled garlic
1 teasp chopped shallots
2 teaspoons chopped chilli
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/8 cup sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons brown vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped shallots

Heat peanut oil in wok.
Fry ginger, garlic, shallot mix and chilli for 30 seconds.
Add prawns and toss until they start to colour.
Add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar and sugar.
Continue stir frying until prawns are cooked (approximately 3 - 4 minutes). You may need to add a dash of water to keep sauce moist.
At last minute, toss through the shallots.
Serve over boiled white rice or noodles

rickraider
11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
thanks mrs sailfisher.......sounds good

cheers rick

FISHNICK
12-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Rick,

I do not have any set recipe for Stir-fry’s I just go with the flow,
but if you use this marinade and vege recipe as the base, you
can add just about any type of meat you please.
Try this and see how you go….
Slice capsicum length ways together with carrots, celery, onion,
snow peas, broccolli, beans & bean sprouts.
(approx. 1/2 - 1 cup of each) Set aside.
Marinade: In a seperate bowl add chopped chilli, crushed garlic,
crushed ginger, (approx: 1 tsp each) 1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander,
2 tblsp oyster sauce, 2 tblsp hoisen sauce, 1 tsp soy & 1 tsp fish sauce.
Marinate any meat in this eg: Prawns / Chicken / Beef / Lamb etc.
1hr in fridge prior to cooking.
Heat oil in wok set on high, add meat until browned approx: 1-2 minutes
depending on type of meat used, remove from wok, set aside then
add veges to wok and toss for 2 minutes & return meat to veges &
cook for a further minute.
I always use Hoikkien Noodles and toss them through in the last
minute with the meat just before serving but you can serve this with rice also.
Really hope that makes sense to you as it's straight out of my head,
so experiment with measurements as mine are probably not that correct.
Hope you try it as it's always a crowd pleaser at my house. :)

rickraider
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
thanks for the reply....fishnick.....thats what i like heaps of veges

cheers rick

roz
16-02-2007, 03:51 PM
With wok cooking you will need to have everything prepared before hand.

ingredients of course can alter to suit, but here's mine.

Onion, roughly choped, garlic & fresh ginger, finely diced. carrot sliced cross ways, capscium, sliced, celery thin slice diagonal, green beans ok if crisp and fresh, cut finely, bean sprouts (mung) bok choy, wom bok or any green leafy asian vegtable.

Don't be afraid of heat, the wok must be as hot as you can get it.

Use a good slurp of peanut oil and a dash of sesame oil, I always wait until the oil starts to smoke a little.

also have handy some fish sauce, palm sugar, soysauce and oystersauce.

When the wok is hot enough, I add the thicker veg and stir fry for a few minutes or until just cooked through NEVER SOFT, sprinkle a spoonful of palm sugar through, a tablespoon of fish sauce, same of soy and oyster, lastly add bean sprouts and leafy asian veg, the heat already in the wok is enough to cook the last two veg.

The whole process should take no more than five minutes any longer and the veg will be over done, it just takes a little practice.

I strongly suggest you get a plain metal wok and cure it yourself (if you have gas), it is fantastic to take camping, once it's cured takes no effort to clean up.

good luck and enjoy.

rickraider
17-02-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks roz....got hungry reading your recipe

cheers rick

Runamuck
18-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Ckeckout Fishnicks Garlic Prawns in this forum, bloody great.

I had a seafood BBQ yesterday and cooked these prawns in the wok and served them on top off reef fish MMMMMMMMM.

Adam

sandyd
22-04-2007, 03:55 PM
If you love stir fries go to your local newsagent and purchase the "The Australian Women's Weekly Sensational Stir-Fries" You can't go wrong and the variety is great.

Ausfish
24-04-2007, 12:31 PM
The problem you may have is that you can not get the electric wok to get hot enough or recover fast enough. Often when you put a handful of prawns, meat, etc. in them they can not get the heat back fast enough and you end up stewing the food instead of frying it.

You just can not beat gas for wok cooking.

rickraider
24-04-2007, 05:59 PM
thanks everyone ..i am really getting the hang of it now ...went and bought a heap of different sauces...use heaps of green and red vegies and noodles....it is real easy now. steve i have no problem with heat i just turn it on flat out and heat it up throw it all in and stand back...same old thing you get what you pay for.....wish i could get some loal squid all the squid i look at comes from china....no way i will support a foreign fishery...i like how they have those labels showing where the product came from..so thanks again for everyone who gave me their recipes

cheers rick

choppa
05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
The problem you may have is that you can not get the electric wok to get hot enough or recover fast enough. Often when you put a handful of prawns, meat, etc. in them they can not get the heat back fast enough and you end up stewing the food instead of frying it.

You just can not beat gas for wok cooking.

can't agree more.... and don't forget to ""christen"" the wok with a good heat before you throw the first feed in.....

choppa

gleeeza
18-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Go the Gas!! I lug out a three ring gas burner to cook with and I know we are ready to go when the smoke alarm goes off, seriously.101 metal urging, black hot metal sticks to your skin and red hot+ releases. Works the same in cooking.

All meats, particularly seafood gets coated with corn flour and sesame/peanut oil.Forms a paste and when it goes in first to a hot wok seals all moisture into the meat. Remove and set aside then build the rest of the dish and throw back in at the end.

The electric wok will give you a braise or a stew only I'm afraid, see if you can get you money back and get hold of a plain cheapy from the valley if you really enjoy a stirfry!!!

Cheers

beachie
15-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Your on the right track, just don't let anyone "clean it properly". Gotta have a seasoned Wok. hopefully it's not one of those non stick ones. cut up onion, garlic and ginger, cook it till it burns on the surface and every time you use it, just wipe it clean and then wipe on some oil with a paper towel to stop rust.

To get an authentic texture in your sauce if it gets a bit runny, add 1tbs cornflour to a bit of water to dissolve and add to thicken sauce.

Happy cookin

Horse
24-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Its all about heat. I use a gas two ring burner attached to my BBQ and use a normal plain metal wok on it. Get it hot......then a bit hotter. Stirfry meat (can be blached before hand to seal better) in batches first then remove followed by hard veges,sauces and other ingredients. Once it is all hot it will keep steaming so be carefull you do not overcook.
You can do a stirfry on your electric wok but it will not get the flash heat required to do it properly. Make sure you blanch your meat for the electric wok as it will seal much better.

Cheers

Neil

slainz
12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Very hard to find a gas burner with enough heat even, even so called “wok burners” are pretty lame most of the time , if you have ever been to Asia you would have seen people on street corners cooking over a 2 foot jet flames! I use a large camping burner and propane to get the heat, anyway here is good recipe from Thailand.

You can use cuttlefish, squid or even scallops for this.
500g cuttlefish
100gr snow peas, topped and tailed
4 green shallots, thinly sliced
2 tsp. shredded fresh ginger
2 tbsp. torn fresh mint leaves
1 tbs. peanut oil
Drizzle of sesame oil
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1 teaspoon palm sugar
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
Garnish – thin shallot strips
Cut the cuttlefish/squid into ½ cm thin strips horizontally and score in a criss cross pattern.
Cut snow peas into thin strips.
Heat oil in a wok over a high heat till it smokes,
cook the shallot, ginger and snow peas for 2 minutes tossing constantly,add cuttlefish, fish sauce and lime juice and palm sugar toss and cook a further 1-2 minutes or until cuttlefish is “bright white” mix through mint leaves. Serve garnished with extra shallot strips and steamed jasmine rice.