PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to repair chips in gel coat

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi guys I've got a couple of chips I want to repair on the rear of the boat. I"ve got hold of some flow coat as I read on this site it is better than gelcoat. I was wondering if someone would be able to do a run down on how to prepare the surface and any hints on how to apply the flow coat. Thanks in advance, Ï"ll try and put a couple of pics on as well so you can see the chips. The chips are no bigger than a twenty cent piece.
Thanks again Ken;D

blaze
10-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Hi Ken
The product you need to use is flowcoat
The reason for this is that flowcoat has a wax addative which will allow it to dry. Gelcoat is for using in a mould to lay the glass onto and this will remain sticky so there is a good mechanicl bond and chemical bond when building with moulds. You can buy the additive to add to your gelcoat to have the same effect as flow coat.
How to do it
You need to smooth out any sharp edges of those little chips and taper the edges out to 5 to 10 mm around the chips as this will allow for a good bonding and a fared in finish.
I would mix my first lot of flowcoat with QCEL ( talc power will also work) to thicken the flowcoat to a paste to allow for a easy build up, then its just a matter of sanding and reaplying layers until you are happy with the result.
cheers
blaze

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi Blaze thanks for the heads up. What is QCEL and what ratio do I mix it at?
Thanks Ken;D

Blackened
10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
G'day

Qcel is like a very very fine talc powder, you can get it at the same place you
bought your flowcoat. You mix it to a consistency you are happy with.

Dave

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Dave looks like another trip to the shops
Ken

Monza
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I've just repaired a heap of chips and scratches with this product. Easy to apply and excellent finish. Around $20 for the kit at Bias Boating

Description:
SEPTONE Gelcoat Repair Filler 400g is a high quality lightweight polyester body filler designed for trade and handyman use in the repair of chips, scratches and cracks in polyester gelcoats as found on fibreglass boats etc. Gelcoat Repair Filler's buttery texture makes it easy to apply with no sag even at high build levels. The viscosity, gel and cure of Gelcoat Repair Filler are strictly controlled to provide consistent quality, and it exhibits excellent adhesion, minimal surface tack, easy sanding and good featheredging. Gelcoat Repair Filler cures to a brilliant white finish when used with the enclosed hardener.

http://www.septone.com.au/prod_img/ABG400.jpg

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Monza I already have some flow coat just have to get some qcel and then to work on the boat, thanks any way
Ken;D

Grand_Marlin
10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
G'day Ken,

I did send you a PM back in reply to this question you asked me ... was my info no good?

Cheers

Pete

lippa
10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
;) what would you know any way pete::)

cheers

lippa

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Pete I didn't get your pm so I just thought you were busy. If you could try and send it again I would be greatfull
Ken

Grand_Marlin
10-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Damn !!

It took me ages to type that :(

Good point Lippa, I have had 5 weeks off on holidays, so I probably dont even remember how to do it now ;D

Cheers

Pete

Fishing_Freddy
10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Pete you could check your sent box and see if it is still there or when you get time have a beer or two :P and type it again, I'm not in any rush yet so when you get time will be fine thank again
Ken;D

Grand_Marlin
11-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Wasnt in the sent box, as I cleaned it all out to leave room for all my fan mail ;D :o 8-) ::)

Blaze has it right.

I use straight flowcoat without qcell, as I find I can get a complete fill in the one go.

It will be easier to use with qcell though.

I use a dremel tool to grind it out

I use masking tape to hold it in place.

I use 3 grades of wet n dry to sand back - 180 to remove the bulk, 400 to "flush in" and 1200 to finish.
Do it by hand, not with an orbital sander.
Then polish with an automotive cut n polish compound.

Its that easy .... ;)

Cheers

Pete

Fishing_Freddy
11-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Pete thanks for getting back to me. Just one more quick question, how long do you let the flowcoat set before sanding?The directions say to use 2ml catalyst to 100ml of flowcoat. Do I add the Qcel after or before adding Catalyst?
:dankk2: Ken

Grand_Marlin
11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Mix the catalyst and the flowcoat first, then add any talc.

When adding talc / qcell, you quite often have to add more catalyst to get it to go off.
If you stick to the same mixing ratios as suggested on the tin, it will still go off, it just takes longer.

For your repair, you will only need 10ml maximum of flowcoat... and therefore 0.2 ml of catalyst. (2% ratio - normally mixed by weight, but by volume is fine for this appliction)
Another way of getting the ratio right for small jobs - 3 eyedropper drops of catalyst per teaspoon of flowcoat.

Cheers

Pete

Fishing_Freddy
11-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help now I have to get the finger out and do the repairs.
Thank you every one for the hints
Ken