PDA

View Full Version : Honda 25hp prop; repair or replace recommendation pls

rick k
10-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Alloy Prop has 40mm bent tip on one blade.:'( it is marked 235x305.

Considering a replacement, may get this on repaired.

I know about the prop repair place at Bulimba, and Solas, and will call them tomorrow, but I'm keen to hear recommendations for replacements and/or repair

Rick K

TheSaint
10-02-2007, 06:34 AM
It all comes down to how much you want to spend??

If it can be repaired your looking at no more than $54 but if you go with a new standard Aluminium prop your looking $218 & to go to Stainless Steel that's $418 + Freight($15).

I would get your old one repaired if it can be & wait for Solas to have special on Honda props & then buy a Stainless steel. I recently done this on the 1st of Feb as they had 20% off all new Mercury props this month & got mine for $345 to the door.

N.B. All the prices are from the Solas website www.solas.com.au (http://www.solas.com.au)

gone_fishing
10-02-2007, 08:50 AM
all comes down to cost
theSaint is on the ball
look around for a 2nd handy in good nik if cost is a big issue
also depends how you boat goes opurtinity to try a differtent pitch ??

rick k
10-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Mate's boat and he had to have it fixed ASAP :).

Solas had some advice on a pitch they thought more suitable, and the price was good, so he now has a Solas Alloy on special, and the old one is with them for repair.

Now we need a location with more than a 6kt no wash limit, so we should be zipping around the Pine tomorrow evening -hopefully the ramp will have settled by then.

Thanks for your tips.

Wayne_Red
11-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I know you have the prop being repaired. Tip for the future. A bent prop tip can be repaired using 2 hammers, one on either side and gently pannel beat the prop back into shape the same as the others. Maybe not as good as the pro's but you will never tell the difference.
Had a 40-50mm bend in my 70hp ally the other day, it came back fine.
Wayne